An Av Receiver That Sounds Like A Tube Amp? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : An Av Receiver That Sounds Like A Tube Amp?

PlanetZany
01-13-2009, 06:32 AM
At the risk of sounding more than a little "green" here, I wonder if anyone on the forums has an opinion on the manufacturer that produces the most tube-sounding AV receiver, but that is actually solid-state?

I'd like to use the surround system with 2 sets of speakers (rear and front, no centre), I also want it to sound good in stereo mode for the faster music which require more "punch" in the bass - but I'd still really like that rich fluid mid-range, not too sharp on the treble and plenty of bass.

I've thought of simply listening through my 1973 Marantz 2270 but of course this doesn't have any digital connectors - can the Marantz 2270 still be used for powering speakers when watching sky TV and DVD's, even if it doesn't have digital connectors, or will this result in low quality sound?. I use the Marantz for classical and vocals/blues, but would use the AV receiver, when in audio mode, mainly for fast-pace vocal leftfield/drum and bass, as the 2270 can sound a little too laid back and not punchy enough for my JBL L100 combination.

Can anyone suggest an AV receiver that would do the job? Reviews are confusing, just when you think you've found one, the description comes up with something that puts you off!

Second hand is better (I don't mind how old it is, more bucks for your money), my budget is around $300 - $500 second hand.

I probably sound a complete dimwit but I actually know very little about the technical side of equipment, so I thought I would ask here before making any expensive mistakes!

blackraven
01-13-2009, 11:51 AM
Go with a Marantz AVR. Marantz has a warmer sound. Or better yet. Buy the Marantz SA8003 CD/SACD player. It has a nice warm sound that is almost tube like. Also consider the PS Audio Digilink III DAC and the Van Alstine Insight DAC. Both give a tube like sound. The VA DAC is smooth and better buy.

Kevio
01-13-2009, 07:29 PM
It sounds like you love this old Marantz. You should keep it. A quick thing you could try is visit Craig's list get yourself a second-hand AVR. Wire from the digital connections on your DVD to the AVR and connect the rear speakers to the AVR. Then wire the stereo analog outputs on your DVD to the Marantz. You have to adjust volume in tandem on Marantz and the AVR. This is clearly a hack but would at least be a fun and inexpensive experiment. It might even work. If it does, use the money you've saved to buy yourself a center speaker.

Mr Peabody
01-13-2009, 08:19 PM
Nothing in a receiver will come close to sounding like tubes. Especially in your budget. I was going to suggest listening to Rotel or B&K but they are both over your budget probably even used. The B&K sounds like an exact match for what you are looking for though except for the tube effect.

When considering a digital connection, do you want surround sound or just four speakers? If wanting surround sound where the effects steer around the room you will have to have a digital connection. If just wanting to hook up two pair of speakers an old Sansui quad receiver would be ideal.

You might also look for a Musical Fidelity Tube Buffer used. This is a piece you add to your audio chain to interject some of the characteristics of tubes. If connected between a CD player and receiver the sound would effect both pairs of speakers.

BadAssJazz
01-16-2009, 11:17 AM
My guess is if ever an AV receiver sounded like tubes, it would cost your every limb and possibly your first born to purchase. I'm sufficiently familiar with Marantz and Rotel to co-sign with the aforementioned advice, although the Marantz is the more affordable get, given your budget.

There was also quite a bit of buzz about the performance of the Cambridge Audio Azur 540R & 640R at one time. You can probably find a used 540R within your range, bearing in mind that while it doesn't have all of the bells and whistles of current receivers, many professional and consumer reviews give it high marks for sound performance. Forgive the pun.