Any opinions on the most -tube-like AV Receiver? (Rich, warm) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Any opinions on the most -tube-like AV Receiver? (Rich, warm)

PlanetZany
01-13-2009, 06:25 AM
A Tube AV Receiver?

I might sound more than a little "green" here, but I wonder if anyone on the forums has an opinion on the manufacturer that produces the most tube-sounding AV receiver, but that is actually solid-state? Age is immaterial, price between $200-$500 second hand.

I'd like to use the surround system with 2 sets of speakers (rear and front, no centre), I also want it to sound good in stereo mode for the faster music which require more "punch" in the bass - but I'd still really like that rich fluid mid-range, not too sharp on the treble and plenty of bass.

I've thought of simply listening through my 1973 Marantz 2270 but of course this doesn't have any digital connectors - can the Marantz 2270 still be used for powering speakers when watching sky TV and DVD's, even if it doesn't have digital connectors, or will this result in low quality sound?. I use the Marantz for classical and vocals/blues, but would use the AV receiver, when in audio mode, mainly for fast-pace vocal leftfield/drum and bass, as the 2270 can sound a little too laid back and not punchy enough for my JBL L100 combination.

Can anyone suggest an AV receiver that would do the job? Reviews are confusing, just when you think you've found one, the description comes up with something that puts you off!

Second hand is better (I don't mind how old it is, more bucks for your money), my budget is around $300 - $500 second hand.

I probably sound a complete dimwit but I actually know very little about the technical side of equipment, so I thought I would ask here before making any expensive mistakes!

Luvin Da Blues
01-13-2009, 06:31 AM
Don't know of any get tube sounding gear at that price. If you have a tape monitor loop in your Marantz, you could insert a tube buffer there.

bobsticks
01-13-2009, 06:37 AM
I agree, that pricepoint is going to be difficult.LDB's suggestion certainly has merit and another option would be to investigate a tube DAC to handle the digital conversion that your Marantz can't adequately accomodate.

Perhaps you might check out some suggestions from this thread:

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=22028

In any case, good luck and welcome to the forums.

PlanetZany
01-13-2009, 06:47 AM
I'm not sure how I would insert a tube buffer, but thank you for that!

I'd be happy hearing anyone's opinion on the richest warmest musical sounding brands of AV amps they know of. I've been told Marantz but would anyone know of specific models - I would probably prefer a second hand model as I can't really afford to spend more than $300-$400 second hand. Some (like Sony) sound quite harsh from my limited experience.

Lizzie

Luvin Da Blues
01-13-2009, 06:51 AM
I just want to clarify if you need surround sound formats or just two channels? What are your sources?

Luvin Da Blues
01-13-2009, 06:55 AM
A Tube AV Receiver? .... manufacturer that produces the most tube-sounding AV receiver, but that is actually solid-state? Age is immaterial, price between $200-$500 second hand.

While not an AV receiver, the older Sansuis have a nice warm sound kinda comparable to tubes.

PlanetZany
01-13-2009, 07:00 AM
At the moment I am using one set of JBL 4311's at the front and one set of JBL L100's at the back, no center speaker or woofer. I am using an ancient Sony STR-db930 AV amp with Multi Dimension Dolby Surround Sound setting, which isn't of course convincing but it was free! I've tried this setup with a centre speaker and strangely, it sounds better without it.
So I guess surround sound would be good for Front L/R and rear L/R. I've been listening to CD's with the same set up - I know, it's over the top, but it seems to add to the atmosphere. Perhaps making the best of a bad amp. The speakers are wonderful though with tubes (Audio Research LS2 /D100A). I no longer have these amps though.

Lizzie

bobsticks
01-13-2009, 07:00 AM
I just want to clarify if you need surround sound formats or just two channels? What are your sources?

The "(front and rear, no centre)" comment leads me to believe a sort of "quad" sound is desired. I think digital conversion is an issue too.

Luvin Da Blues
01-13-2009, 07:16 AM
The "(front and rear, no centre)" comment leads me to believe a sort of "quad" sound is desired. I think digital conversion is an issue too.

I ask 'cause he said age wasn't a factor.

hifitommy
01-18-2009, 02:39 PM
i ran my audio research sp3a1-c through my b+k pre/pro (its an a/v preamp, needs 4 or 5 amp channels to be as a receiver) and didnt feel like i was losing the sound quality (which is high with ARC equipment).

it isnt the latest with the six channels of analog input for sacd or dvda but for dolby digital and the like, its fine.

i took it out of the system when the volume control broke a spring inside and doesnt return to its neutral point except manually. i just defeated it and used the remote. also, its very heavy, a good sign.

b+k is a brand i would entertain were i to be looking for a/v electronics. also, the tube buffer sounds to me like an ideal way to go for you with other good electronics.