Harmony 720 vs. One [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Harmony 720 vs. One

f0rge
01-12-2009, 01:48 PM
i think my 880 is on the way out, the buttons are sticking and some are hard to press, yesterday my GF got the Volume Up stuck lol.

anyway, my brother bought my dad a 720 for xmas and when i was over there setting it up i was amazed at how much better the quality seemed to be vs. my 880, so i started looking at new remotes.

it came down to the 720 and the One, both are rechargeable and have colour screens. the 720 costs ~$140CDN and the One is like $299CDN.

is the One worth double the price? i like the layout of the One more, but the touchscreen is gimmicky and the remote itself is bigger.

i'm seriously leaning towards the 720, can anyone think of why the One is worth double the price?

either way i'm going to wait for a sale before buying

L.J.
01-12-2009, 03:45 PM
I'm having problems with my 880 as well. I'm kinda pissed about that too :mad5: Gotta press the volume up really hard to get it to work now. My kid did drop it in water when I first got it so I can't truly say it's been used under normal conditions. I'm thinking about moving it to the bedroom and replacing it with another remote as well.

Worf purchased the One, maybe he'll have some input.

f0rge
01-12-2009, 04:48 PM
the new ones are A LOT nicer, makes the 880 feel cheap and plasticky, the new ones have more weight, they're much thinner and just feel more solid. better quality materials too.

cyberpac9
01-12-2009, 07:06 PM
i'm thinking of upgrading my harmony (h659) too (i have to push some of the buttons really hard)...i'm interested in hearing what others say about the 720....

Rich-n-Texas
01-13-2009, 05:03 AM
i think my 880 is on the way out, the buttons are sticking and some are hard to press, yesterday my GF got the Volume Up stuck lol...

I'm having problems with my 880 as well. I'm kinda pissed about that too :mad5: Gotta press the volume up really hard to get it to work now.
:cryin:

Who the frick talked me into buying the 880? :incazzato:

I'm not having any problems yet, and I haven't even programmed it up to its full potential. One thing I have noticed is that the devices don't always seem to be in the same position on the screen when I press the Device key. I think that may be due to the fact that I don't have that page completely full of devices, but it's not a big deal to me.

Worf101
01-13-2009, 05:59 AM
I've only owned the One, and I love it. I've a bunch of other Uni-remotes though that are gathering dust. The ole lady can "kinda" work her way around the HT system with the One so I can't complain.

Da Worfster

f0rge
01-13-2009, 06:34 AM
i need to go somewhere that has both on display so i can touch and feel both of them.

from what i saw, the 720 was a significant upgrade from the 880, even if it only had 6 "activities" versus the 8 on the 880.

the One only has 3 activities at a time right?

Duds
01-13-2009, 08:06 AM
My Dad got my brother the 720 for x-mas and he loves it. My dad asked me for ideas, and I mentioned the universal remote, so he asked me to research them. They have a whole section for universal remotes over on avsforum.com, so thats where i did my research.

Pretty much every post I read said the 720 is the best bang for the buck. Some say it eats through batteries, but that is due to the buttons lighting up every time you touch one, and I think that function can be turned off. i dont believe the 720 is rechargable.

My brother said the set up was a piece of cake as well.

f0rge
01-13-2009, 03:51 PM
the 720 my dad has is rechargeable, but batt life is still a concern.

my 880 lasts like a month of daily use and it has the tilt sensor that turns on the remote when it moves, my friend says his One lasts like a week

i should head over to AVS to check out that thread

L.J.
01-14-2009, 07:42 AM
forge how long did you have your 880 before it started acting up?

Rich, I still may go with another 880. I have everything customized the way i want and don't feel like bothering with setting up something different. Like I said, my kid dropped mine in water...I'm still wondering how it lasted this long.

Rich-n-Texas
01-14-2009, 08:16 AM
I'm astonished to hear f0rge gets a month on a charge. I'm lucky that I can non-chelantly(no idea how to spell that) drop my 880 into the charger, but I think I only get about a week, 2 at the most, out of a charge. (Yes, I do pay attention to the beep when I put the remote on the charger)

I have no plans on changing my remote, just being sarcastic.

BTW, how long does Logitech tech support last? Infinity I hope?

Hyfi
01-15-2009, 08:11 AM
:cryin:

Who the frick talked me into buying the 880? :incazzato:

I'm not having any problems yet, and I haven't even programmed it up to its full potential. One thing I have noticed is that the devices don't always seem to be in the same position on the screen when I press the Device key. I think that may be due to the fact that I don't have that page completely full of devices, but it's not a big deal to me.

I'm starting to be real happy with the 880 I recently bought. I had to have Logitech tweak my account to get a few things to work correctly but since then it has been fine. Seems like the only thing that messes it up is if you use the original remote in between using the 880. You then need to use the help to get it back on track,

Logitech also said they have no way to configure the Device screen, which makes no sense if you can configure the Activity screen.

I looked into hacking the configuration file but the main body is in Hex. The top part is xml and I could have edited the file if the whole thing was xml. This issue does bug me. I added all the components for another room to devices and it pushed a few that I always use to page 2 instead of adding them to the bottom of the list.

I have also programmed lots of additional buttons to the Extra menu due to the stupid layout of the remote buttons so I have several dupes but easier to use from the top of the reome than the bottom with one hand.

Rich-n-Texas
01-15-2009, 10:20 AM
I agree Hyfi, especially with that last one. Whenever I try to push a number button at the bottom of the remote, I drop it. With FiOS, to get the quickest channel change you have to key in four numbers, which is out of the question. I either use the presets or the TV program guide.

f0rge
01-15-2009, 04:04 PM
i think my harmony is about 2 years old.

once you touch a 720 or a One i dont think you would buy another 880, i wont.

my main problem is my activity buttons, they are really hard to push and dont "click" anymore

as for the battery, mine does last that long, i never charge it. it takes about a week for the battery meter to get to 1 bar, but then another 2-3 weeks easily before it's dead.

mgillgannon
01-21-2009, 07:55 AM
I got a One at F.Shop for $229. Just download Crutchfield's Cdn price and ask 'em to match.
Unfortunately, as I have subsequently found out, I'm not a fan of Harmony remotes. Obviously, many are.