iPhone?? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : iPhone??

bobsticks
01-12-2009, 12:39 PM
Hey, what do y'all tech-saavy Rave Reckers know 'bout the iPhone? I read the thing about them abandoning the DRM strategy and making it more accessible from a musical standpoint.

Does anyone have any practical experience with one of these things? What are the pros and cons? I'm begrudgingly considering this as a potential option and given it's internet capability and music playback it may be the best one.

Hyfi
01-12-2009, 01:17 PM
What was announced last week at Mac World is that the i-tunes store will soon allow all downloads to be played on any mp3 player and not limited to Apple products. I don't know the date the switch is scheduled for.

bobsticks
01-12-2009, 01:58 PM
What was announced last week at Mac World is that the i-tunes store will soon allow all downloads to be played on any mp3 player and not limited to Apple products. I don't know the date the switch is scheduled for.

Well, I guess that changes things...mebbe. I'm not real fond of multiple-formats.

I guess I'm looking for info on internet capability/access and just general user-friendliness. It maybe, however, that we're shy on members with practical experience. Perhaps I should consider that there may be a reason I don't really know anyone that owns one.

Finch Platte
01-12-2009, 02:02 PM
Hey, what do y'all tech-saavy Rave Reckers know 'bout the iPhone? I read the thing about them abandoning the DRM strategy and making it more accessible from a musical standpoint.

Does anyone have any practical experience with one of these things? What are the pros and cons? I'm begrudgingly considering this as a potential option and given it's internet capability and music playback it may be the best one.

My co-worker has one and he's constantly telling me things that it does, and it amazes me.

But the best thing it does is fits in a slot in a boombox and plays music, while charging. :23:

Rich-n-Texas
01-12-2009, 03:13 PM
I question your logic in asking this here instead of a more appropiate forum. Portable Audio maybe? As far as DRM activities are concerned, they were addressed here: http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=29248

But, suit yourself.

noddin0ff
01-12-2009, 03:19 PM
For music they support...

AAC
Protected AAC (i.e. DRM from the iTunes store)
MP3, MP3 VBR
Audible (formats 2, 3, and 4)
Apple Lossless
AIFF and WAV (for all intents and purposes same thing, apples vs PC's)

The only compressed lossless format suported is Apple's. So if you have a flac library, then you need to convert...that would suck. MP3 is fine though.

Everyone where I work has one (except me, of course). They love 'em. Very user friendly. I like that you can shake them and it'll shuffle your next track. The software apps are pretty cool too. Although, the virtual light saber application in a room of geeks can be scary.

bobsticks
01-12-2009, 05:28 PM
I question your logic in asking this here instead of a more appropiate forum. Portable Audio maybe?

Ah yes, that hotbed of activity...but you, sir, are correct about the DRM thread. Gracias.