HDMI switching with AVR [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HDMI switching with AVR

zepman1
01-12-2009, 11:14 AM
It is not clear to me exactly how the new HDMI connections work when implemented in a full home theater setup. When using a new HDMI compatible AVR this is what I would expect setup to look like:

Bluray HDMI to AVR
Cable box HDMI to AVR

AVR HDMI to TV

With this setup the AVR can handle all the audio and switching of HDMI to the TV for video. That much seems clear to me. But what if I don't want to run sound through the AVR all the time? With the setup I show above, I assume HDMI switching does not occur with the AVR turned off...

How is it possible to do this then? Do I need a separate HDMI switching box as well to watch tv without the AVR on all the time?

f0rge
01-12-2009, 01:37 PM
with the setup you describe you would need to run the AVR all the time.

you would still get an audio signal sent to the TV, so if you didnt want to use the AVR speakers you could still use the TV speakers.

you might be able to find a receiver that will let the HDMI pass through un-interupted, but i'm not aware of any, nor do i really understand how that would work from a choosing components situation.

i run my AVR for watching TV all the time, as my main HT setup is also my main TV setup, a lot of shows in HD these days are in 5.1DD anyway, so having the full setup running is not so bad. for watching at night, my receiver has a "night mode" which basically kills all the bass and mid-bass.

zepman1
01-12-2009, 02:00 PM
That is what I was afraid of. I personally don't care, but the wife and others sometimes have issues with the AVR etc. Sometimes it is just much simpler to watch tv and use it for sound when watching the news etc.

Another significant hassle involving HDMI. One major "improvements" with HDMI was reducing all the cord clutter since 1 cord can carry all the signals. But then to do what I want, I will have to run a set of component video and stereo RCA's to the TV if I want to watch without the AVR. And then I need to be switching video modes on the tv all the time.

A harmony remote solves many of these issues, but it would be nice to not have to deal with all the cables. Is there any other way to do this???

f0rge
01-12-2009, 04:42 PM
if you dont already have a harmony remote then this is a great excuse to get one.

many of the people on this site (myself included) have complicated setups that our wives/girlfriends have zero problems using thanks to our harmonys

zepman1
01-13-2009, 05:29 AM
I have a Harmony remote already, and it does help. I really like it and it does help for guests, parents, the wife... although it has a learning curve of its own to an extent if you don't fully understand how it operates and how the system is setup.

I am setting up a new HT and just wanted to simplify the connections if possible. Of course, I should be able to do what I want by connecting the cable box HDMI directly to the TV for audio and video, and then adding a digital coax to the AVR for 5.1 DD. Assuming the STB will output to both coax and HDMI all the time, this will work perfectly. If it does not, then it is a hassle going through the cable box setup menu to adjust which audio output is active. Then I'll just have to run everything to the AVR, no big deal.

I guess it really isn't a big deal, but it would be nice if there could be HDMI pass thru in the AVR without actually turning it on. I didn't think it worked that way, but just wanted to check.

Worf101
01-13-2009, 05:55 AM
Nope, there's no "simple" way to allow a separate hook up for simple TV operation without the AVR. I feel your pain. I had to get a Harmony One and she still has trouble sometimes going from Cable to DVD. All you can do is keep banging away at it in hopes she "gets it" someday.

Da Worfster