Can You Get True HD Sound on TV? I'm confused [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Can You Get True HD Sound on TV? I'm confused

EdwardGein
01-11-2009, 02:23 PM
I keep not ceasing to be amazed at true HD Sound on my new Blu-Ray player (Panasonic BD-55). Unfortunately, now when I watch TV, the 5.1 audio pales so much in comparison.
I'm wondering is this because TV does not broadcast in true Audio or if it does broadcast in true audio then maybe I need a different receiver. Right now my TV audio sound is connected using optical cable. Can anyone shed anything on this or is my TV digital 5.1 sound as good as its going to get?

canuckle
01-11-2009, 03:50 PM
Well there's not enough info to really comment fully, but a few points to ponder:

TV doesn't broadcast 5.1 HD formats because a) they're brand new, b) <1% of the population would be able to hear them, and c) TV doesn't have enough bandwidth.

TV isn't mixed like a movie. Nobody really pays that much attention to mixing your weekly sitcom or drama because it isn't as big a deal as making a movie.

If your sound is connected by optical cable, then you're not getting HD audio from your BD player. Sorry, it just can't be transmitted over that medium.

EdwardGein
01-11-2009, 05:10 PM
Meant my TV audio sound is by optical cable. I'm totally aware you can't use optical cable for true HD sound.

02audionoob
01-11-2009, 07:08 PM
TV doesn't broadcast 5.1 HD formats because a) they're brand new, b) <1% of the population would be able to hear them, and c) TV doesn't have enough bandwidth.

There are some cable channels in Dolby Digital. ESPN is one of them.

EdwardGein
01-11-2009, 07:49 PM
Now I'm more confused as I thought my cable shows are on Dolby Digital 5.1 sound. Is it possible for them to broadcast on true HD sound? also are there any True HD CD's?

N. Abstentia
01-11-2009, 07:53 PM
The only medium that has Dolby True HD or DTS HD is BluRay.

Dolby Digital is as good as you can get from cable. If you think your cable is not DD5.1, look at what lights up on your receiver when you are watching cable. If it's DD5.1 then it will indicate that.

Mr Peabody
01-11-2009, 07:55 PM
HD channels are in 5.1 if the original show is 5.1. All of the premium movie channels in HD sound almost as good as a DVD. Some of the network 5.1 shows sound pretty good but they really don't go to the mixing extent a movie maker would. That would be great if we got a movie type mix on shows like 24 or other action shows.

I'm curious if your receiver displays 5.1 when watching TV. I've heard talk that digital from a TV is only 2 channel. If that's the case, Pro Logic 2 or some other simulated surround is the best you will get, no 5.1 or better. If you have a cable box or satelite receiver most get better results taking the audio signal from that, opposed from the TV.

The reason Tru-HD and DTS-MA sound so much better is they are able to uncompress bit for bit, the sound is said to be "Lossless", the same as the master supposedly. It is true that even if a program broadcasts a Tru-HD audio there isn't enough bandwidth to transmit it, especially at this point via cable or satelite. It would be interesting to know if there is any limitation on over the air broadcasts. If not, to my knowledge there isn't any equipment capable of accepting it and sending it to your receiver. Also at this point the only digital connection capable of carrying a Tru-HD/DTS-MA audio signal is HDMI.

pixelthis
01-11-2009, 10:21 PM
tv IS IN EITHER DD 5.1 or 2.
And your pro logic II can turn that 2.0 into a really nice sound.
This is lossless audio, and cant near as good as Blu formats, but its still very good.
BEST WAY IS TO IGNORE the audio out on your TV, use the digital audio out on your cable box or dish, it will sound way better.
of course if you are listening to broadcast you have to use your TV out.
Compared to the old MTS crap modern day TV sound is quite amazing, really.:1:

EdwardGein
01-11-2009, 11:25 PM
No my TV sound is 5.1 Honestly it and my previous DVD sound (yes my Denon receiver lights up telling me I'm listening in 5.1 dolby digital) was pretty good but then I heard Blu-Ray for the first time and it made me aware of how good audio really can sound. Honestly the difference between Dolby True HD and Dolby Digital on the TV is night and day in my opinion.

As I said and I apologize for being so enthusiastic about something you guys were enthusiastic years ago, with Blu-Ray the term Home Theater is now for me not a misnomer.

Mr Peabody
01-12-2009, 07:02 PM
Ed do you use antenna, cable or satelite for your TV programming?

If Pix is correct, and sounds like your TV will output 5.1, you could very well get sound some where between DVd and Blu-ray from the antenna. If it's really uncompressed I'd say close to Blu-ray but it depends on what the program was originally made in. And, again, are the networks going to spend the time and money to give weekly shows a soundtrack mix with much rear channel or steering effects.

The enthusiasm is still there.

EdwardGein
01-12-2009, 08:40 PM
My TV reception comes via Time Warner digitally via their combo receiver/HD DVR. I have the DVR connected by component cables to my HDTV and the audio connected by optic from DVR/Receiver to my Denon Receiver. Sound is pretty good but compared to True HD sound, not as fantastic,

02audionoob
01-12-2009, 08:48 PM
What model number is the Denon?

pixelthis
01-13-2009, 12:27 AM
My TV reception comes via Time Warner digitally via their combo receiver/HD DVR. I have the DVR connected by component cables to my HDTV and the audio connected by optic from DVR/Receiver to my Denon Receiver. Sound is pretty good but compared to True HD sound, not as fantastic,

THATS THE WAY TO DO IT.
It is what you are used to really.
People talk about how crappy SD TV looks on a HDTV, truth is it looks like it always did, maybe a little better.
But after watching HD all of the time...
Same way with DD, which used to be the "standard" and was quite good.
But it is lossy, and the new formats arent.
Even when you listen to a "standard " DD or DTS track on a Blu disc all of the
possible bandwidth is used, so even "plain" DD sounds better on a Blu.
And music discs are really nice also, I have a two channel 96khz CELINE DION DISC
that is really amazing, as is the Dave Matthews band (rockerfeller city):1:

EdwardGein
01-14-2009, 02:18 AM
Denon 3801