Dilemma between Klipsch and Axiom... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Dilemma between Klipsch and Axiom...

CoOlSlY
03-15-2004, 10:58 AM
I hesitate between Klipsch Reference series RF-7, RC-7, RS-7 (www.klipsch.com) or Axiom M80ti, QS8, VP150... (www.axiom.ca)

Anybody heard both or tried both? Anybody care to comment if you experienced both?

Sylvain

Woochifer
03-15-2004, 01:25 PM
My question to you is what have you actually listened to so far, and how much do you like those Klipsch speakers. The worst thing you can do is to buy speakers without knowing what type of sound you're looking for or what's out there, and just relying on reviews or second hand opinions to make your decision for you. The only way you can answer this question is to go out and do your own evaluations. Speakers have the biggest variability of any audio component, and opinions on speakers are all over the map.

The Klipsch RF series has got plenty of fans on this board, and you have some Axiom backers as well. I've not heard the Axioms, so I can't comment. The Klipsch RF series I have heard before and while I like a lot about them, they do have their flaws. Then again, every speaker in this price range will have some audible faults. It's up to you which ones you're willing to live with, and which ones are automatic disqualifiers.

Worf101
03-15-2004, 01:59 PM
My question to you is what have you actually listened to so far, and how much do you like those Klipsch speakers. The worst thing you can do is to buy speakers without knowing what type of sound you're looking for or what's out there, and just relying on reviews or second hand opinions to make your decision for you. The only way you can answer this question is to go out and do your own evaluations. Speakers have the biggest variability of any audio component, and opinions on speakers are all over the map.

The Klipsch RF series has got plenty of fans on this board, and you have some Axiom backers as well. I've not heard the Axioms, so I can't comment. The Klipsch RF series I have heard before and while I like a lot about them, they do have their flaws. Then again, every speaker in this price range will have some audible faults. It's up to you which ones you're willing to live with, and which ones are automatic disqualifiers.

I always knew you had an "addictive disposition". All hail the newest "site addict".

Da Worfster... still chuggin and pluggin in the 200's :D

CoOlSlY
03-16-2004, 05:32 AM
For now, i've not listen to anything :( . I could order the Axiom M80ti and then decide if I keep them or not *BUT* I would like to have some RF-7 as loaner but nobody are willing to loan any to me. That's why that i'm asking that if somebody tried both the Klipsch and the M80ti, he will be able to tell what's he's thought about both items. Ultimatly, I would like to listen to both in the same room but I have to find a place that will loan my RF-7's in the Montreal area,

Sylvain

markw
03-16-2004, 07:09 AM
Would you "loan" speakers to a virtual stranger? I doubt it. Why do you think they should?

There is a way around this though. You could put them on a charge card. This assures the store that if any damage occurs, they will be covered. Simply put, you would own them.

Take them home and return them within a reasonable period of time, say a week or two.

Of course this implies keeping the speakers and any and all packing materials in perfect shape.

This, to me, sems the most fair way to go.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
03-16-2004, 09:23 AM
I always knew you had an "addictive disposition". All hail the newest "site addict".

I wanna be an addict too, I have a vein available for hookup!

CoOlSlY
03-16-2004, 10:05 AM
Would you "loan" speakers to a virtual stranger? I doubt it. Why do you think they should?

There is a way around this though. You could put them on a charge card. This assures the store that if any damage occurs, they will be covered. Simply put, you would own them.

Take them home and return them within a reasonable period of time, say a week or two.

Of course this implies keeping the speakers and any and all packing materials in perfect shape.

This, to me, sems the most fair way to go.

I didn't mentionned it but I was willing to give them my credit card so that they would be covered if I would never bring the speakers back! (I have a store and I would never loan anything without having a full deposit on it)...

Worf101
03-16-2004, 10:46 AM

Hey, did your Cav's make the "big dance"? You gonna back em with some of your loot? Enquiring minds wanna know....

Da Worfster

Woochifer
03-16-2004, 11:29 AM

Worf! Are you saying I have a problem? Are you? Are you? Are you?!

I COMPLETELY DENY your assertion! I DENY IT! I DENY YOU! You won't pin that addict label on me, no matter what the administrators on this board set up as their boilerplate diagnosis! NEVER!!!!!!

Woochifer
03-16-2004, 11:31 AM

Ooooohhh!!! Sounds like the party's on and the den's open! First transfusion's on me (I'm Type O-positive)!

Jim Clark
03-16-2004, 12:45 PM
For now, i've not listen to anything :( . I could order the Axiom M80ti and then decide if I keep them or not *BUT* I would like to have some RF-7 as loaner but nobody are willing to loan any to me. That's why that i'm asking that if somebody tried both the Klipsch and the M80ti, he will be able to tell what's he's thought about both items. Ultimatly, I would like to listen to both in the same room but I have to find a place that will loan my RF-7's in the Montreal area,

Sylvain

With apologies, I can't offer the information you are looking for having never heard the Axiom's. Haven't heard the Klipsch either for that matter but I could fix that this hour if I felt like it, I just don't have the need.

Don't know why you are focusing on the Axioms. For some people the cost of shipping them back if they aren't to your liking is no big deal. It's a deal breaker for me but I'm not the gambling sort. I think the potential for internet brands is huge but of course I'm not willing to take the chance. If I may suggest, you could go to http://www.audioenvy.com/ and see if anyone in your area has either the Rockets or the Swans. Folks that are listed are more than willing to let you come over and listen. That would personally make me feel a whole lot better about buying an internet brand. Not sure if Axiom, Norh, Ascend or any of the other brands have a similar option available. I have an SVS and Rocket user withing a couple miles of my home and I plan to go check them out soon.

Just an idea and your feelings may be completely different from mine on the subject.

jc

nightflier
03-16-2004, 04:12 PM
...Axiom M80ti, QS8, VP150...

Just a quick FYI, the M80ti's are 4 ohm speakers. So make sure you have the amp to drive them. The Klipsch's are all 8 ohm and very efficient.

I've listened to both and while the Klipsch's have a lot going for them, they were too forward for my tastes while the Axioms were more transparent, albeit less so than other brands. In the ned, the Axioms sounded the best to me so that's what I stuck with.

CoOlSlY
03-16-2004, 06:20 PM
Will a Denon AVR-3801 will drive properly the M80ti ? It states in the manual that it drives 4 ohms speakers. (I thought I had a AVR-3800 but it's a 3801)

Sylvain

CoOlSlY
03-18-2004, 06:39 AM
I'm also concerned about the resale value of the Axiom over the Klipsch,

Sylvain

markw
03-18-2004, 06:51 AM
I didn't mentionned it but I was willing to give them my credit card so that they would be covered if I would never bring the speakers back! (I have a store and I would never loan anything without having a full deposit on it)...

I frequently post this advice when the subject of a store "loaning" something to a customer arises.

One has no way of knowing the age, maturity and life experience of posters here. Many have unrealistic expectations and expect the store to take the full risk on faith alone.

CoOlSlY
03-18-2004, 10:35 AM
My Klipsch dealer agreed to loan me two RS-7 and one RC-7 for the weekend (well, I will pick them up at 4:00pm saturday).

Axiom has shipped me QS8 and VP150 so i'll be able to really compare them musically and in home theather. I will keep everybody informed this weekend or monday how they sound.

Sylvain