interconnect [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : interconnect

brentrubin
01-10-2009, 07:03 AM
I have recently lost all my interconnects in a move and need advice on what to purchase now. I had previously transparent super but it has doubled in price since I purchased it ten years ago. My equipment is all audio research. The company that did my home surround sound recommends tribuary 9 series as a moderate line of equipment. Does anyone have any suggestions for interconnects equivalent to the transparent super line but more moderately priced.

StevenSurprenant
01-17-2009, 06:15 AM
I have recently lost all my interconnects in a move and need advice on what to purchase now. I had previously transparent super but it has doubled in price since I purchased it ten years ago. My equipment is all audio research. The company that did my home surround sound recommends tribuary 9 series as a moderate line of equipment. Does anyone have any suggestions for interconnects equivalent to the transparent super line but more moderately priced.

If I'm looking at the right thing, the transparent cables look like MIT wires. You might want to look there.

http://www.mitcables.com/

You can look on audiogon for used pairs too.
You also might be able to find used pairs of what you had.

You might want to consider DIY wires.

I just made a few sets of 24 gauge silver coated solid core interconnects and they sound better than my expensive all silver wires.

Mr Peabody
01-17-2009, 05:58 PM
Tributaries are decent cables. I don't know how they'd compare to the Super though. Were your cables bought before Transparent came out with the new networks? Audiogon is a good suggestion on picking up Transparent again for a good price.

Our local ARC dealer sells Audioquest.

I would urge you to stick a Siltech, New Yorker in your system to see what you think. They have the bass response of the Transparent but a more musical mid and high end. I liked the New Yorker much better than Transparent with my CJ gear. If you are in an area that doesn't carry Siltech, contact Jack Tozzi at:
www.spearitsound.com these guys are a class act and I'm sure would hook you up with a set to try. Please don't by Siltech from anyone but an authorized dealer, they have, or had, a warning on their website of counterfit cables being sold around the internet.

I don't think they are much cheaper than Transparent but some of my friends regard Cardas, and they have a variety of series that seem to focus each on a different sound

simmel
02-10-2009, 12:39 AM
I have been using Cord Cobra 3 for some time, now after trying lots of others, I found these to be the best, not expensive but very good.

IBSTORMIN
02-15-2009, 11:50 AM
I have been using Cord Cobra 3 for some time, now after trying lots of others, I found these to be the best, not expensive but very good.

What others have you tried. I have been using BJC and they outperform Monster, Fusion, Radio Shack's Gold and Radio Shack's Fusion (superior to anything Monster has, too bad they got rid of them and switched to Monster). I don't believe in spending alot on cables but am open to suggestions in the under $50 for stereo pair.

Mr Peabody
02-15-2009, 12:20 PM
Hey,IBStormin, haven't seen you around in a while, good to see you.

I always hear good things about BJC but haven't tried a pair. I bet you can find 1 meter IC's in Tributaries in that price. It seems like most of the better known brands start up aroung $80.00 give or take, ie. Audioquest, Transparent.

IBSTORMIN
02-15-2009, 09:10 PM
Hey,IBStormin, haven't seen you around in a while, good to see you.

I always hear good things about BJC but haven't tried a pair. I bet you can find 1 meter IC's in Tributaries in that price. It seems like most of the better known brands start up aroung $80.00 give or take, ie. Audioquest, Transparent.

Hi Mr P! Long time no talk to! A new grandson in October and then short handed at work since before Thanksgiving so alot of overtime. Good to hear from you also. I got a pair of tributaries with an SACD player I bought on Craig's list. Don't think they were their best but the BJC sound better. You live in St Louis if I remember. I oughta just mail you a pair of BJC for trial and your opinion which I respect very much. I'll pay for the return trip also. You could tell me what would sound better or if I should stand pat. Interested?

Mr Peabody
02-15-2009, 09:44 PM
That sounds great. If you want to send a pair down for me to try I'll be happy to pay shipping back. Remind me what gear you are using. Even if the Tributaries were entry level they should be close to price of the BJC so if the BJC are better that's saying something for them. I'll PM you my address.

rakeford
01-20-2010, 09:07 PM
I'll need some new RCA analog cables for my new optical disc player- going SACD.

02audionoob
01-20-2010, 09:51 PM
I'll need some new RCA analog cables for my new optical disc player- going SACD.

If you want to go with value, the Blue Jeans Cable LC-1 is a good one.

rakeford
01-21-2010, 06:00 AM
If you want to go with value, the Blue Jeans Cable LC-1 is a good one.

Thanks, how do the Blue Jeans Cable LC-1 compare to the

Tributaries 1m Series 7 Analog Audio Cable (http://store.audioholics.com/product/2457/66294/tributaries-1m-series-7-analog-audio-cable) ?

I can get those for $100 for 1m cables.

Mr Peabody
01-21-2010, 06:15 AM
I would think the Tributaries to be some better but I have not compared them. The Bluejeans are only about $30.00 for the pair and do very well. It depends on what range of gear you are running. In addition, for $100.00 for one meter you have a variety of options including entry level Transparent. I have compared BJC to Transparent, the Transparent was more extended in the high end and more bass authority or quality. however, the midrange was about even if not a slight edge to the BJC. So if your gear is entry to mid level the BJC would be a good value. If wanting to eek out as much detail as possible it would be worth some extra money.

BJC allows for return. Your Tributaries dealer should as well or at least give a pair on loan to try. If not, shop some where else. Any way you could try some cables and just return the ones you don't like.

Were the Tributaries $100.00 for 6, or for a pair? If for 6 that would be about the same as Tributaries. An above post the poster says he likes BJC over the Tribs he had. But no mention of what series.

rakeford
01-21-2010, 08:28 AM
I would think the Tributaries to be some better but I have not
no mention of what series.

Thank you.

Currently, I’m just doing 2 channel stereo. The website is not clear, but I think the $100 at audioholics.com gets you a pair (2) of Tributaries 1m Series 7 Analog Audio Cables. Also not clear is whether there are RCA connectors at both ends of the cables. I'm willing to spend $100 for stereo cables, but $300 seems excessive (Tributaries 1m Series 9 Analog Audio Cable).

My main interest is SACD and DVD audio.

Here's my system to be:

Yamaha DVD-S2700 (http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=451766&CTID=5001800)CS/SACD/DVD player => Stereo RCA analog cables => Yamaha RX-797 (http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=200028) receiver => Monster M SERIES bi-wire speaker cables => Klipsch RF-7 speakers (only 2 of these).

I have not yet bought the Yamaha DVD-S2700. I'm currently using Monster M STANDARD THX i100 stereo RCA analog cables with my current CD player. It actually sounds very good to me playing Redbook CDs.

After I get the Yamaha DVD-S2700, I'll have a pile of money in my audio system. I figure it could be better with more than $20 stereo RCA analog cables. For now, I plan to use the audio DAC in the DVD-S2700.

I’ll also likely need a new stereo cable for my Phillips GA-312 turntable which has been sitting in the attic for 13 years.

E-Stat
01-21-2010, 08:48 AM
I would think the Tributaries to be some better but I have not compared them.
Why is that? Have you visited their website and found they provide no real data about their product? Are you aware they are part of "Gordon Gow Technologies"? You know, the McIntosh guy who says that no speaker wire is better than "plain line cord".

I don't trust companies who hide their LCR parameters, much less those with the founder not believing in any sort of improvements to be found with better cabling! Read their glossary of AV terms. You'll find neither capacitance nor inductance. And this is a cable company?

rw

02audionoob
01-21-2010, 08:50 AM
More in your budget range, I've been very happy with my Straightwire Rhapsody S interconnects. Just another option to look into, if you're interested.

blackraven
01-21-2010, 12:11 PM
If your only willing to spend $100 on cables, go with the BJC's and don't look back. They would sell for 5x's that much in stores if packaged a little nicer.

They sound better than my AudioQuest Corals and my Monster M1000i's which retailed at about $250pr. If you want more expensive cables, look to ebay or audiogone, I bought my M1000i's for $30pr. and my Monster Z4 speaker cable for $120 and they have a list of $599.

Mr Peabody
01-21-2010, 07:54 PM
E-stat, I did not know that, thanks for the heads up. The HDMI cables I use from Tributaries did provide an improvement over the ones I was using and a couple of respectable audio shops sell them. Very interesting. I guess Gow said if you can't beat them.....

Now that I see your equipment I really think the Bluejeans would be a good fit. To my ears Klipsch can be a bit bright, the BJC high end is a bit laid back, so this could be a nice balance. Where something like Transparent that accentuates the highs may be too much.

rakeford
01-21-2010, 08:25 PM
Thanks Mr. P, O2, and all.

I did my research tonite. I'm leaning toward the Blue Jeans Cable LC-1 RCA stereo pair. It's not about the money. It's about what makes sense and matches the rest of my system. I'll spend more if it will sound better or last longer.

BJC's US website seems snafu, but I got some good info on the their UK site.

It's hard to believe that somebody would pay $4900 (http://www.spearitsound.com/siltechsale/siltech_home.htm) for a pair of RCA cables

<TABLE width="98%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TD>SQ-110 Classic Mk2 pr</TD><TD>RCA 0101</TD><TD>2 meter</TD><TD>Reg. $4900</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Mr Peabody
01-21-2010, 08:52 PM
Yeah, those cables can get up there just like any component. I saw some Transparent mega dollar speaker cables, Transparent uses networks on the cables, the ones I'm talking about looked like a vacuum cleaner laying there. The network was silver like chrome and huge. I'm wondering what could be in there.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought BJC's website lacked. I emailed a question and the response was taken by me to be a bit short, like I was crazy or something.

As far as durability BJC LC are very well put together.

IBSTORMIN
01-22-2010, 08:40 PM
I agree with Blackraven that the BJC sound better than ANY Monster cables I have heard, at any price. For Yammy I would look no further than BJC. It will be a good mix.