Anyone tried the Audioquest Boombox Demo? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried the Audioquest Boombox Demo?

Ajani
01-10-2009, 05:55 AM
I just read this article on the Audioquest Boombox challenge:

http://www.avguide.com/blog/the-audioquest-boombox-demo

Has anyone heard of or maybe even tried this challenge.... it certainly looks like fun (once I don't have to pay for all those cables).... And it would be even more interesting if it really worked (doesn't seem to be DBT though, which will probably invalidate it for many anti-cable persons)....

Luvin Da Blues
01-10-2009, 05:59 AM
Nice, but does it have a BI alarm clock?

Ajani
01-10-2009, 06:04 AM
Nice, but does it have a BI alarm clock?

You are missing the big picture.... this is an opportunity for you to throw away all that PSB and Marsh nonsense and get a Sharp Mini system... just add some tricked out cables and it'll sound better than your existing gear!

Luvin Da Blues
01-10-2009, 06:06 AM
You are missing the big picture.... this is an opportunity for you to throw away all that PSB and Marsh nonsense and get a Sharp Mini system... just add some tricked out cables and it'll sound better than your existing gear!

Just what I was thinkin', buts we needs a clock to close the deal. LOL

Luvin Da Blues
01-10-2009, 06:14 AM
Seriously tho, I am just learning (the hard way) that source first is the way to go (don't bite my @ss on this). If the source is a cheepo Mini system den yer gunna get cheepo sound out.

Having said that, a balanced (quality wise) system is key for great sound, cables included.

Kevio
01-10-2009, 08:39 AM
And it would be even more interesting if it really worked (doesn't seem to be DBT though, which will probably invalidate it for many anti-cable persons)....
At least the did go back and listen to the Monster cables at the end. Up until then, the whole thing could be explained by growing familiarity with the recording through repeated auditions.

I'm a lamp cord guy myself but if wire does make a difference, I would expect it to make the most obvious difference on cheap equipment.

StevenSurprenant
01-11-2009, 09:28 AM
I just read this article on the Audioquest Boombox challenge:

http://www.avguide.com/blog/the-audioquest-boombox-demo

Has anyone heard of or maybe even tried this challenge.... it certainly looks like fun (once I don't have to pay for all those cables).... And it would be even more interesting if it really worked (doesn't seem to be DBT though, which will probably invalidate it for many anti-cable persons)....

My mom had a JVC systen similar to the one used for this demo. I changed out the stock speaker cables for a pair of DIY Cat5 cables and the change was dramatic. Even my mom, who was hard of hearing could easily hear the difference.

I truely believe that people who cannot hear the difference between cables have a hearing problem and don't know it. I have heard systems where wire didn't make any difference, so maybe it's not them?

As for Audioquest...

I took home a case of Audioquest demo wires many years ago and experianced the same result, meaning that the sound improved gradually as I went up their product line. I still have some AQ cables, but now I use my DIY wires which are much cheaper and as far as I am concerned, better...

I have one pair of Monster interconnects (lower priced) and agree that they sound lackluster in comparison to other wires.