Any musicians? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Any musicians?

Kevio
01-09-2009, 01:27 PM
How many of you audio enthusiasts are musicians?

I ask because I've frequently been disappointed by some musicians lack of appreciation of good recording and reproduction. It seems when many musicians listen to a recording, these musicians are listening to the performance and are totally ignoring any noise or distortion, even the sound of the recording hall.

It seems that the better the musician, the more this is true. I, for instance, am a very mediocre musician but I really enjoy good recording and production.

GMichael
01-09-2009, 01:56 PM
I used to play but was really never great. I think you'll find a pretty high % of the people here play something.
I have know many musicians who just like it loud though.

kexodusc
01-09-2009, 06:36 PM
I think of myself as more of a hack than a musician but whatever...

I'd rather listen to a great performance butchered in the studio than listen to a polished turd any day.

Pat D
01-09-2009, 08:11 PM
I can sing almost anything a baritone can be expected to sing--classical songs, oratorio arias, a number of operatic arias. I'm not much of a technical musician though. As an example, Christmas Eve I sang O Holy Night in English and French, and also did the first and last verse the next Sunday for those unable to attend our Mass on Christmas Eve. Yes, I took the optional high note at the end of the last verse.

I can listen to older of singers from the pre-stereo eras. I like tenors such as Beniamino Gigli and Richard Crooks, to name the two from that period I listen to most. (I always wished I were a tenor, like my brothers were . . ) But I like some of the older sopranos, such as Elisabeth Rethberg, Kirsten Flagstad, and Frida Leider. Rise Stevens and Blanche Thebom are probably my favorites of the older mezzo-sopranos. For basses, Ezio Pinza is by far my favorite of the older ones, followed by Alexander Kipnis. There are numerous other fine singers who flourished from around 1900 to 1955 or so, but these are the ones I listen to most.

I enjoy some of the older pianists, too. Rachmaninoff was a fine pianist, among the greatest ever. Alfred Cortot's Chopin was great. Rubinstein and Horowitz lasted well into the stereo eras, but I like some of their old mono recordings, too.

I don't like harsh sounds and this cuts out a lot of thicker music, such as older recordings of orchestral and choral music. I do have a few operatic recordings from the thirties and forties which are OK, but in those days, the voices would have been the focus, with the orchestra much more subdued than in reality. With some of those, the orchestra is pleasant enough though the frequency range is limited. From about 1955 on, there are many good recordings of orchestral and choral music.

PDN
01-09-2009, 10:03 PM
I'm a self taught electric bass guitar player. Mostly classic rock and blues. Been at it for many years. Just this year I actually got up in front of a crowd and played two songs. It was one of those impromptu situations at a sales meeting picnic event. The band let me come in for two cuts. My fellow employees were stunned !! They loved it.

I have an Ibanez Soundgear 5 string electric bass guitar and a Hartke Kickback 120 watt bass amp.

bobsticks
01-10-2009, 08:22 AM
It seems that the better the musician, the more this is true. I, for instance, am a very mediocre musician but I really enjoy good recording and production.

There may be some truth to this but it may also be contingent on people's thinking. I'm a multi-instrumentalist but a master of none and while versed in musical theory I play with the soul of an evil sock puppet.

I find I am much more tolerant of poor sound quality if the material is challenging. If, on the other hand, the piece is made up of simplistic or repetitive phrasing I'll tend to focus much more on the quality of the reproduction. Six of one, half dozen of the other, eh?

Luvin Da Blues
01-10-2009, 08:29 AM
I'm an awesome coffee table drummer.

Worf101
01-12-2009, 06:17 AM
Lead singer and bass player in a pretty good RnB band. Finishing up the second album as we speak. Probably digital mastering by the end of the month.

www.heyjocamo.com

Da Worfster

Rich-n-Texas
01-12-2009, 06:29 AM
I'm an awesome coffee table drummer.
I'm better. :yesnod:

GMichael
01-12-2009, 06:33 AM
Hi Better. I thought you were rich.

Rich-n-Texas
01-12-2009, 06:35 AM
Quiet GM else I'll start talking about the Eagles. (he he snicker snicker)

Auricauricle
01-12-2009, 03:23 PM
I was Luciano Pavarotti's voice.

The guy lip-synched, I swear!

Kevio
01-12-2009, 04:10 PM
Lead singer and bass player in a pretty good RnB band. Finishing up the second album as we speak. Probably digital mastering by the end of the month.

www.heyjocamo.com

Da WorfsterCool. Other than singing, are you involved in the recording/production process?

Worf101
01-13-2009, 05:19 AM
Cool. Other than singing, are you involved in the recording/production process?
I wrote about 80% of the music, 100% of the lyrics and melodies and work with Matt and Tony to produce. I also have paid about 60% of the production costs thus far.

Da Worfster

RoyY51
01-18-2009, 03:46 PM
I was a professional singer/musician for 16 years. We did a lot of local TV and radio, made a couple of albums (that never went anywhere) and it allowed me to live a life of drunken debauchery that I'm still paying for. It also allowed me the opportunity to meet my wonderful wife of 30 years. All in all. it wasn't a bad way to spend a decade and a half.