Sansui Receiver 881 -amazing? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sansui Receiver 881 -amazing?

fast1f
01-09-2009, 11:46 AM
I owned a Sansui 771 Receiver in college in the 70's, but it was stolen, and i couldnt afford to replace it. Well 30 years later, i dusted off the records and turntable in my basement and found a Sansui 881 locally in excellent condition, brought it home and hooked up 2 pair of speakers and out came the warmest, fullest stereo sound I have heard in many years. Has anyone had this experience with these Sansui's? I only paid $30 for this set, and feel like i stole it. What do you think?

atomicAdam
01-14-2009, 07:33 PM
well, from the overwhelming number of responses i'd say you got a 1 of a kind.

glad you like your set-up though. get a nice comfy chair, a beer, or whatever, and enjoy your tunes!

blackraven
01-14-2009, 08:04 PM
I love vintage receivers and amps. Back in the 70's receivers were built better and as I remember ( I still use my vintage 1976 technics integrated amp and Hitachi Tuner) most had a nice warm sound. Resolution and detail may not be as good as some of today's receivers but they sure sounded good.

So I think you got a great deal on the Sansui. They made great equipment back then. Every one that I new back then wanted Sansui or Marantz. I could not afford them at the time.

Worf101
01-15-2009, 05:27 AM
I've a old school Sansui as well. Don't know the model number off hand but I use it in my puter room system but not for 2 channel stereo. I'm glad you've found the joys of analog once again. Enjoy.

Da Worfster

fast1f
01-17-2009, 05:32 PM
thanks for the input....i'm new to this chatting stuff. the 881 has a great sound and judging from the other chats i see about sansui, i am very happy to have found this one in near mint shape for sucha low price. rocking on to my old records, that havent been played for 20 years!!!

fast1f
01-17-2009, 05:35 PM
by the way, if i have anyone's attention, what kind of speakers might i look for to get the most out of this sansui 881? are the old, giant speakers from the 70's the way to go, or what? help anyone?

f0rge
01-18-2009, 05:47 PM
i've heard good things about those old sansui's, sounds like you got a steal of a deal

Luvin Da Blues
01-18-2009, 06:00 PM
by the way, if i have anyone's attention, what kind of speakers might i look for to get the most out of this sansui 881? are the old, giant speakers from the 70's the way to go, or what? help anyone?

Years back I had some horn loaded Wharfedales hooked up to a Sansui AU-6900 that I thought had a nice balanced sound.

thekid
01-18-2009, 06:22 PM

Congrats on your find!!

I started on this site focused on HT but now most of my time is consumed with vintage gear. Many here will argue that audio advancements etc make today's speakers better sounding than older speakers. IMO sound aside, it just looks better to have some vintage speakers playing along side your vintage gear. Scour the thrifts in your area and look on Craigslist and you'd be surprised what you can find out there for very little coin. In the past year I found KLH-17's, Realistic Optimus 5's and EPI 100's which would go well with your piece. Often people give these speakers away because of foam rot but a quick order to Parts Express and a little glue and you are in business.

bubslewis
01-20-2009, 12:50 PM
I have a Sansui QXR 7000 quadraphonic receiver, circa 1977, in the garage, along with a pile of other old (vintage?) equipment. The Sansui still works fine. I'll see if I can get a few pics of all the gear (need to tidy things up a bit first).

The Sansui watts have plenty of punch.

tx,
Bill

pwned32
01-28-2009, 11:09 PM
I have my dads Sansui 6060 that he bought new in 1979 and the thing still works and its never had to be repaired or anything. they are great products that have a warm sound

fast1f
01-30-2009, 02:15 PM
i found a pair of marantz SP2368 speakers (circa 1990) to use with the sansui 881 and it seems pretty good, but i think i could do better with other vintage speakers. anyone have specific recomendations for speakers i should look to find? Advents, JBL or such that i remember were popular in the 70's

Zekeman
02-24-2009, 10:54 AM
The Sansui XX1 series is bulletproof and has amazing tube-like audio quality. This stuff is golden!

fast1f
03-05-2009, 10:50 AM
Hey Zekeman, thanks for the vote of confidence...my ears dont deceive me...any input on a good match for this 881 receiver regarding vintage speaker choices that may be found for low cost in garages sales, etc because they are too big and out of style? I want to get the most out of the receiver, and the marantz speakers sound good, but i suspect this sound can be improved with additional speakers. the receiver permits three pairs to be hooked up!

Worf101
03-05-2009, 11:16 AM
Congrats on your find!!

I started on this site focused on HT but now most of my time is consumed with vintage gear. Many here will argue that audio advancements etc make today's speakers better sounding than older speakers. IMO sound aside, it just looks better to have some vintage speakers playing along side your vintage gear. Scour the thrifts in your area and look on Craigslist and you'd be surprised what you can find out there for very little coin. In the past year I found KLH-17's, Realistic Optimus 5's and EPI 100's which would go well with your piece. Often people give these speakers away because of foam rot but a quick order to Parts Express and a little glue and you are in business.
EVERYTHING he said. Epicures, AR's maybe some Allisons all good vintage names that can be had for a song on ebay, even some that have been upgraded in the caps and crossover range. Good stuff out there, unfortunately Kid's scarfed up all the cheap swaggage da bum.

Da Worfster

JoeE SP9
03-05-2009, 01:58 PM
Hey Worf101
I have met a couple of gentlemen who were Tuskegee Airmen. I flew against one of them while playing an air combat sim. He shot me down! BTW It was European Air War. He was flying a P51D and I was flying an ME109.

bjdalton1
03-11-2009, 05:18 PM
I bought a Pioneer 450 at a garage sale 10 years for $20. It is great! Love Sansui also.

Asia Hand
03-06-2015, 07:55 AM
I still own a Sansui 881 stereo receiver which I purchased brand new in the mid-70's. Today I keep it in my home library mainly for playing vinyl LPs. It still sounds beautiful as it did when I first purchased it.