Speakers changing volume automatically [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speakers changing volume automatically

Fnix
01-09-2009, 09:59 AM
I just hooked up 2 pioneer speakers to a receiver with bare wires. The receiver is attached to my laptop to play musik from laptop. The bare wire from speaker are input into Front L & R inputs.

When I play musik it sounds like someone is turning the volume decibal buttom up and down. Maybe I have old speaker wires and need new ones? What is an alternative to bare wires but will still adapt into bare wire input?

drewsk404
01-14-2009, 09:12 PM
Sounds like your speakers are wired out of phase. Make sure you have the +/- connections the same on both speakers, or simply try reversing the wires on one of the speakers.

If that doesn't help, I heard this happen once before in a car stereo with an amplifier that was rated to 8 ohms only, but the speakers were all 4 ohms. That could be your problem, you may be overstressing your amp in some manner, or there may be an issue and the amp could be on its way out. Is the amp getting really hot?

Couldn't hurt to buy new speaker wires. And how is your laptop connected to your receiver?

hermanv
02-04-2009, 04:56 PM
I just hooked up 2 pioneer speakers to a receiver with bare wires. The receiver is attached to my laptop to play musik from laptop. The bare wire from speaker are input into Front L & R inputs.

Inputs? Something is very wrong here, the speakers would normally go to the receiver outputs.

Now about this bare wire, you do mean just the very ends right? Not bare all the way?

Also it sounds like a surround receiver (Front inputs). If there are only two speakers, be sure he receiver is set to pure stereo or there will be strange volume effects.

bfalls
02-05-2009, 06:32 AM
Do you have other sources connected to the receiver? How does the tuner, tape, DVD sound? This should narrow the problem to either the source or receiver.