Recent Rentals and Movies. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Recent Rentals and Movies.

Worf101
01-08-2009, 07:53 AM
Some stuff I've seen of late.

"Cadillac Records" - B - Great to see the story of "Chess Records" brought to the big screen. Knowing what I know about Leon Chess and how he treated the publishing rights of early stars, I think they were too kind to him, great music and great stars though.

"Milk" - A - Sean Penn, when he wants to, when he wants to, is right up there with Depp and Downey as the best Male actors out today. Compelling true story that I stepped into the middle of when I stepped off the plane from Korea, in uniform, right in the middle of Mild verdict riots. One helluva welcome home I can tell ya.

"Hellboy II" - C - More effects but less love than the first one. Just kinda left me cold, and I don't know why?

"Wanted" - C - Meh, middling story whose big twist was obvious from the first 5 minutes. Not much good say about women either.

"Lions for Lambs" - B-Minus - I expected the liberal tripe that the conservative talk show hosts were bleating about, instead I saw a, reasoned, well acted tale of the modern dilemmas that face us all in a post 911 world.

"Charlie Bartlett" - B - Very un-P.C. and a little too happy ending for me but very entertaining. I enjoyed it immemsely.

"Bug" - ? - You can't rate what you can't understand. This movie, based on an off-Broadway play that ran for years is so bizarre, so strainge so WTF that it diefies description. William Friedkin who gave us "The French Connection" and "The Exorcist" gives us this inexplicable mess. I'm stunned.

Da Worfster

JSE
01-08-2009, 08:12 AM
Yeah, well I watched House Bunny last week. It's the one where the girl from all those Scary Movie flicks takes over a sorority house after being kicked out of the Playboy Mansion.

I give it a "B". Yes, a "B". I said it. There! :cornut:

It was actually pretty funny. Stupid as could be but still funny. Take it for what it is and you will laugh. Definitely worth the rental.

dean_martin
01-08-2009, 08:23 AM
here's a recent dvd release I can recommend:

"Kenny"- Australian mockumentary/comedy from 2006 that was released on dvd Nov. '08. (I think I'm right about those dates.) Kenny is a blue-collar working stiff philosopher in the portable toilet industry. The guy has a great attitude despite the sh*t he takes (literally and figuratively) from customers, patrons, co-workers, ex-wife and dad. I found myself really "pulling" for this guy. You'd think with the business he's in the film might show some very nasty stuff, but to the filmmakers' credit the nauseating business is left unseen. The dvd cranks up with subtitles engaged which I thought was unusual so I immediately disengaged, but because of our (US) hack-job on the Queen's language and some phrases peculiar to Aussies I re-engaged them for the first run-through. It helped my ears adjust. If you're constantly exposed to southern drawls like meself, subtitles may help, mate.

Kam
01-08-2009, 09:35 AM
Some stuff I've seen of late.

"Hellboy II" - C - More effects but less love than the first one. Just kinda left me cold, and I don't know why?

Da Worfster

ya know i really liked the story of the Prince the best. i liked that mythology they created around him. the princess i didn't like at all and the team, this time around, was more annoying then it was in the first one.

and, on the technical side of the things, whoever the stuntguy was that worked the Prince's staff fighting scenes... WOW. that was incredible.

but overall i agree, as a whole the movie wasn't that great.

Sugar Beats
01-08-2009, 12:36 PM
I'm planning on seeing Benjamin Button when I have a chance.

Has anyone seen "Doubt?" I wondered about that one as well...

And I am very interested in seeing "Revolutionary Road" but can't find it playing anywhere around.

Also "The Reader" looks interesting.

Also heard some buzz about "Rachel Getting Married," but again, can't find it around here.

We recently rented "Indiana Jones/Crystal Skull" for the kids. I didn't really watch it.

I just saw a movie w/ Naomi Watts and Edward Norton called "The Painted Veil" (2006) it was very good. Strong acting.

Also just saw "The Devil Wears Prada," again. Love Meryl Streep. She's good and evil in that. Plus kudos on the clothes! I wouldn't mind owning an outfit or two I saw.

Was thinking about renting "X-files" but may pass.

Will probably rent "Marley & Me" when it comes to video, read the book and it was cute.

Kam
01-08-2009, 02:28 PM

saw it. loved it. i had a few technical qualms about the cinemotography, but other than that, the cast is as good as their previous work implies they should be.

phillip seymour hoffman should get an oscar nom for this. i thought it was better than the play, which i didn't think i would. but i didn't think it was as ambiguous as the play was.

Gerald Cooperberg
01-21-2009, 05:33 PM

saw it. loved it. i had a few technical qualms about the cinemotography, but other than that, the cast is as good as their previous work implies they should be.

You mean the arbitrary tilted shots? Yeah, that bugged me too. Maybe it's just too much of a theatre piece... all acting and no cinematic qualities. I kind of liked the opening swoop onto the street with all the old brownstones but after that I kept wondering what they thought they would add by making a movie version (other than getting it to an audience that wouldn't have seen it on the stage).

-Coop

Kam
01-21-2009, 10:21 PM
You mean the arbitrary tilted shots? Yeah, that bugged me too. Maybe it's just too much of a theatre piece... all acting and no cinematic qualities. I kind of liked the opening swoop onto the street with all the old brownstones but after that I kept wondering what they thought they would add by making a movie version (other than getting it to an audience that wouldn't have seen it on the stage).

-Coop

yeah, the 'dutch angles' i thought it was a little to heavy handed in the, "skewed-point-of-view-so-therefore-skewed-camera-angle" type of theme. that got irritating. in an intelligent enough drama, i didn't want to be spoonfed what to feel with that kind of visual club.

i like my visuals old school.. good guys on the left of frame, badguys on the right. or wait, is that the japanese pov? crap i forget. gotta go see some john wayne still frames and see which side he's on....