Need some help from speaker Gurus [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need some help from speaker Gurus

Florida_300zx
01-07-2009, 12:46 PM
Ok, heres the deal.

I own a 5.1 Klipsch speaker system that I use for my computer.

My problem ( which has been occurring over the last couple years ) is that sometimes only the bass will work and no sound at all comes out of the speakers. This problem usually fixes itself once I turn off the system and turn it back on after about 5 minutes. Well a couple days ago, this started happening but now it will not fix itself anymore no matter what I do.

Wow......I just turned it on after I typed this and, what do you know...it works again.

Anyways, does anyone know what would be causing this malfunction? Its gets really annoying. Thanks for any input.

markw
01-07-2009, 02:51 PM
Offhand I'dsay it's more of a problem with the internal processor/amplifier inside the bass box that drives the system as opposed to the speakers themselves. Perhaps a loose connection somewhere?

Florida_300zx
01-07-2009, 04:35 PM
Offhand I'dsay it's more of a problem with the internal processor/amplifier inside the bass box that drives the system as opposed to the speakers themselves. Perhaps a loose connection somewhere?

Yes, I agree, I did not mean to imply that the speakers themselves were malfunctioning. However, I don't know what would be causing it to work sporadically as it is doing so. I just turned them off as they were working, then turned them back on, and now they are not working. Its very random...

Kevio
01-07-2009, 06:17 PM
Ok, heres the deal.

I own a 5.1 Klipsch speaker system that I use for my computer.

My problem ( which has been occurring over the last couple years ) is that sometimes only the bass will work and no sound at all comes out of the speakers. This problem usually fixes itself once I turn off the system and turn it back on after about 5 minutes. Well a couple days ago, this started happening but now it will not fix itself anymore no matter what I do.

Wow......I just turned it on after I typed this and, what do you know...it works again.

Anyways, does anyone know what would be causing this malfunction? Its gets really annoying. Thanks for any input.
Does it feel or smell like it might be overheating? Have you tried to shake it to see if something is loose in there?

winston
01-07-2009, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by markw
Offhand I'dsay it's more of a problem with the internal processor/amplifier inside the bass box that drives the system as opposed to the speakers themselves. Perhaps a loose connection somewhere.

yes MARKV i totally agree i owned a Harman kardon AVR-435 that did the same-thing and it was new.... i had it fix under warranty ( the technician told me the same-thing that you said).
however (FLORIDA _ 300zx) ? you had this ac curring problem over the last couple of years"? three to four occurrances of that nature would drive me crazy

Florida_300zx
01-08-2009, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by markw
Offhand I'dsay it's more of a problem with the internal processor/amplifier inside the bass box that drives the system as opposed to the speakers themselves. Perhaps a loose connection somewhere.

yes MARKV i totally agree i owned a Harman kardon AVR-435 that did the same-thing and it was new.... i had it fix under warranty ( the technician told me the same-thing that you said).
however (FLORIDA _ 300zx) ? you had this ac curring problem over the last couple of years"? three to four occurrances of that nature would drive me crazy

Its definitely not overheating, becuase the problem persists sometimes even when I turn it on for the first time of the day. I did shake it, and could not hear anything loose in the sub/amplifier.

It really does drive me crazy...I work with what I have though, I am in college right now and not exactly rolling in the cash. If the problem persists though, I guess I will look for decent used receiver. Thanks for all the input guys