Help! Audio from cable box/NAD receiver not right [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help! Audio from cable box/NAD receiver not right

IRG
01-06-2009, 04:57 AM
Hey all,
I have an older NAD T-743 ht receiver. I moved some things around the othe day (but all cable connections remained intact) and I noticed that when listening to my cable source (Time Warner - Explorer 8000 dvr box) it isn't right. Here's the problem:

When listening to a cable tv source, I get no audio out of the left channel most of the time, and the center speaker (voices) seems to be coming from the right speaker. The center speaker gets some dialogue too, but not as dominant. This is on the NAD stereo 1 or 2 modes. When I use the Dolby Pro Logic Music mode I get some sound out of the left speake. If I use it just on stereo mode (left and right only) I get sound only out of the right speaker.

When I change inputs and listen to a CD, I get sound coming out of both speakers just fine.

So, do you think the problem is with the NAD receiver or maybe the cable box? I've had the receiver for quite a few years, and it's used for 6-8 hours every day. The cable box is maybe 2 years old.

I'm thinking it might be time for a newer receiver anyway, and I could relegate this one for just basic 2 channel listening. I want to (finally) get a hd tv this year, so hdmi switching and all that might be handy to have on a new receiver. It'sbeen years since I've looked at audio gear. I spend all of my hobby money on guitars and effects now - more fun playing music than listening to it. Not that I have much time for either, lol. But it may be time to step up to a new system soon.

I only use 3 speakers with my current setup, Paradigm Monitor 3s, Athena Center, and an old but trusty JBL PB-10 sub. I would like some new speakers that are more likely to be wall mounted/slimmer as my space is very limited. Rear speakers would be the same way.

Sorry for the long post!:4:

kexodusc
01-06-2009, 05:10 AM
Well, the first thing I would do is check the audio settings of your Cable box. Make sure it's set to stereo as a minimum and if it has an option for Matrix, pro-logic, dolby digital make sure that's engaged too (might need to consult the manual for details).
Might need to check similar input settings on your NAD too.

If you moved stuff around, what did you move exactly that didnt' interrupt connections? No chance a speaker wire or RCA cable got pulled loose, is there?

IRG
01-06-2009, 06:07 AM
Thanks for your input! You may have something too, although I only disconnected two things. One, I unhooked both speakers to move to an opposite wall. So hooking them back up seems to be fine, since it worked on a cd. But I also unplugged the cable connection, and ended up using a longer (but better cable) cable to link from the incoming cable to the receiver. The connection seemed tough, but I'm pretty sure I got it connected right. I'll doube check later tonight. Although it seems odd if I got audio out of one side but not the other.

Lastly I'll check the cable box configuration. Although I don't know exactly how to do it - don't think I've tried it before. I might have a manual somewhere. But that's a good idea. I didn't change anything, but who knows, maybe unhooking the cable wire did something.

The overall sound of the cable box is actually pretty poor. I suspect that's because of Time Warner. Does a HighDef cable box make any improvement in sound?

Also, what do most people listen to (mode that is) when watching cable? I don't have too many options; stereo, stereo1 (which includes center speaker) stereo2 (sounds exactly the same) Dolby Pro Logic (sounds lame), Pro Logic+ (I think), DPL Music (a bit better).

Do newer HT receivers have better options for listening to cable box audio options? I spend 80% of the time watching cable probably, not movies. I would like better audio quality from a cable box. DirecTV any better sounding?

kexodusc
01-06-2009, 06:11 AM
Most cable boxes have the audio settings wrong from the factory, in my experience. They have the pro-logic signal disengaged (defaulting to stereo or mono only) and they have Dynamic Range compressed (look for dynamic range setting, it should be set to max Dynamic Range, or minimimal Dynamic Compression, depending what terms they use).

I tend to use ProLogic IIx for signals that aren't Dolby Digital. But even old cable boxes should handle the audio properly.

Worf101
01-06-2009, 06:28 AM
First things first...

REBOOT THE CABLE BOX!!!!

They probably gave you instructions on how to do this if not, hrere goes. Unplug the box, sit one minute, plug it back in and leave it turned off until the time reappears, then fire it up and see if your problem is fixed. I've a Time Warner Cable DVR box and 9 times out of 10 when something goes awry it's the cable boxes fault. Can't access your DVR'd content, can't get sound on channels, having problems changing the resolution, all of these I've fixed rebooting the box. You'd be amazed at what cheap pieces of crap they are.

If you want a new AVR, by all means get one, I just did, but if you'd like to keep it, reboot the cable box or get a free repleacement.

Da Worfster

f0rge
01-06-2009, 06:41 AM
after restarting the PVR i would try using it in a different input to see if you get the same results.

IRG
01-06-2009, 06:51 AM
I've rebooted the cable box twice. It is a fickle thing though, so I'll give that a try again tonight. If that doesn't fix it, I think I will get a new cable box.

IRG
01-06-2009, 06:56 AM
Most cable boxes have the audio settings wrong from the factory, in my experience. They have the pro-logic signal disengaged (defaulting to stereo or mono only) and they have Dynamic Range compressed (look for dynamic range setting, it should be set to max Dynamic Range, or minimimal Dynamic Compression, depending what terms they use).

I tend to use ProLogic IIx for signals that aren't Dolby Digital. But even old cable boxes should handle the audio properly.

OK, I'll definitely have to look at a manual to see if I can change these settings. This might help a lot.