This one sucked. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : This one sucked.

noddin0ff
01-06-2009, 04:37 AM
Despite generally favorable reviews, the latest from David Byrne and Brian Eno, Everything that Happens Will Happen Today, upon close listen, sucks (or blows...take your pick). One review rejoices, "the pair rejoin the rock conversation as if they'd never left." Well, OK, if you think that lifeless resurrections of 1981 are a good thing go for it. Somewhere in the middle of the album the lyrics go

"This groove is out of fashion/These beats are 20 years old."

Yep. Exactly. Although I though groove was an overstatement. It's a jerky, rather saccharine flavored upbeat Carebare hugging world of ordinary things are wonderful bit of irritating fluff.

First listen was in my car. I'm a person that keeps every CD that crosses my path and I rolled down the window to through the thing out. In the end I couldn't do it. Don't know why.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61Oap4RqC9L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

bobsticks
01-06-2009, 07:37 PM
LOL!, thanks noddy. I'm usually the one who ends up with something like this due to my habit of buying releases for the cover art. Given a preference for both Byrne and Eno I can easily see the inevitable buyer's remorse.

We never get enough warnings.

Troy
01-07-2009, 03:36 PM
I dint like it either . . . but I don't like much.

3-LockBox
01-07-2009, 04:11 PM
I for one never cared much for either of these two on their own. While Byrne's herky jerky pop is tollerable in small doses, Eno's brand of abstract, beatnik rock never did anything for me, in fact, I found it odd that the rock critics past and present who referred to many progressive/art rock acts as pretentious are the same ones who gave Eno and Byrne a free pass because both their former bands were art rock darlings (Roxy Music and Talking Heads respectively).

emesbee
01-12-2009, 09:30 PM
While not a great fan of either, I don't mind some of their stuff. I quite liked some of Talking Heads stuff (Nothing Like Flowers was a great song - love the jangly African style guitar work). I liked Brian Eno's album 'Before and After Science', but a lot of his other stuff doesn't do much for me.

jrhymeammo
03-03-2009, 08:18 PM
Ahhh.... Glad to know, but I've been known to like some horrible tune. I think I'll actually listen to it on the net before making my purchase.

Thanks

noddin0ff
03-04-2009, 06:16 AM
Yeah. To be fair I actually own and like several of Bryne's solo albums. Most would fall in the suck category for many. 'Buyer beware is' all.

Jim Clark
03-04-2009, 07:49 AM
It's not the Dodos, but then again, what is???

Just had to get that one in since I suspect Monkey Boy will at least peruse an Eno thread : )

I didn't love this one either. I will say I sure like it one heck of a lot more than the last collaboration of these two.

jc

Kevio
03-04-2009, 04:28 PM
You can stream the entire album at http://www.everythingthathappens.com/. I did so once. Now it is good enough for me to know that it's out there if I ever want to give it another chance.

Sugar Beats
03-04-2009, 04:35 PM
LOL!, thanks noddy. I'm usually the one who ends up with something like this due to my habit of buying releases for the cover art. Given a preference for both Byrne and Eno I can easily see the inevitable buyer's remorse.

We never get enough warnings.

Please don't tell me that all y'all buy stuff for the "cover art?!!" If you do, sorry to offend, I just can't get over it! That's too much!

Do you ever wish you had those $ back in your wallet vs. owning something lame for the cover picture? Unbelievable!
Now if we were talkin' shoes, that's another story....

Auricauricle
03-04-2009, 05:03 PM
I used to use cover art as a key indicator of the probable quality of the music, back in de day....Seemed reasonable that if the folks spent enough care and effort paying attention to their covers (advertising?) they put just as much due dilligence into their music (product).

Let's not talk about stillettos...I'm doin' my level best to stay focused.