HDTV Monitor/Projector for HT and PC Gaming [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HDTV Monitor/Projector for HT and PC Gaming

bag
03-15-2004, 08:07 AM
Hi all. I'm finally moving into a house with a decent-sized home theater room, so I'm ready to start shopping around for an HDTV replacement for my 32" SDTV. I've got a sizable budget for this purchase ($5K-6K), and am looking for the following features:

* Multi-use - HDTV, DVD, PC gaming
* Maximum possible screen size (ideally 60"+)
* Optimal HDTV resolution (I don't recall the specs, but supporting best possible renditions of the various formats)
* At least 1024x768 PC graphics resolution
* Budget should include cost of an HDTV tuner
* Budget may include video card upgrade for PC (currently supports S-video, VGA output)
* Preference for rear-projection HDTV, but willing to consider plasma or projector

Now I'm sure that more than a few of you folks out there are into gaming as well as HT... What considerations do I need to make in configuring a system for this purpose?

Many thanks!

uncooked
03-15-2004, 09:23 AM
make sure when you go looking, to see it has a anti burn in screen. if your going to play alot of games on it thats a must. most of the new ones are but there are still some that arent.

dapercy
03-15-2004, 12:46 PM
Just an FYI, Intel is coming out with a LCOS based projection technology they will sell to tv manufacturers. The picture quality is supposed to be equivalent to DLP (considered by some the best projection technology right now). The catch is Intel's large manufacturing base basically means they should be able to produce the chips for significantly less than their competitors (DLP, LCD projection) and reduce the overall cost by 30 to 40%. But you'll have to wait until end of 2004 before they hit the market.

http://www.intel.com/design/celect/technology/lcos/

fountboy
03-15-2004, 05:57 PM
Are you interested in a front projector and large, i.e. 100" plus screen? If so, I am actually buying the BenQ8700 projector, REDICULOUS picture for the price. It will support all HD resolutions as well as your PC. We are using it for a dedicated HT use and tv. It is $4400 or so from alliantsollutionsinc.com.

Good luck

yamdsp-a1
03-16-2004, 10:58 AM
HI,

I just picked up a Samsung HLM617W, a 61" DLP. It hasn't arrived yet so I can't exactly comment on the qulaity etc. However, I did quite a bit of research and when comparing LCD to Plasma to DLP, I personally found for my money, the SAMSUNG DLP was the way to go.

I originally wanted a plasma but given the repair limitations, it was not worth the investment or risk. AT least with DLP, parts can be replaced.

I also looked at a Panasonic and Sony LCD projection TV and personally thought the picture was better on the DLP.

Unfortunately, my time with all three technologies was pretty limited and the ability to view different sources (cable, dvd, digital cables etc) was basically non existent as most big box stores only have an HD direct feed into their TV's. I am hoping that the picture from my DVD is at least somewhat comparable to the HD feed in the store and that my store observations will turn into correct home observations.

I have to say though, it was a lot of money to spend on something you really have to get home to test out properly with your equipment. I wish some of the stores gave you more source options. They never used to let you listen to the CD's before either, now they all have listening stations set up, so maybe it will happen.

Reading the SAMSUNG manual, the TV appears to have a ton of input options and you can use the PIP to simultaneously surf the net and watch TV - or so it says.

No doubt, once it arrives, I will have some more comments, may even post a review...

http://www.samsung.com/Products/TV/ProjectionTV/TV_ProjectionTV_HLM617W.htm

That is the link to the TV

Good luck and have fun, I sure did.

Yam

woodman
03-16-2004, 04:15 PM
Hi all. I'm finally moving into a house with a decent-sized home theater room, so I'm ready to start shopping around for an HDTV replacement for my 32" SDTV. I've got a sizable budget for this purchase ($5K-6K), and am looking for the following features:

* Optimal HDTV resolution (I don't recall the specs, but supporting best possible renditions of the various formats)
* Budget may include video card upgrade for PC (currently supports S-video, VGA output)
* Preference for rear-projection HDTV, but willing to consider plasma or projector

Now I'm sure that more than a few of you folks out there are into gaming as well as HT... What considerations do I need to make in configuring a system for this purpose?

Many thanks!

Hear me now, and believe me later (as some fella once said) ... IF you can control the ambient light in your viewing room, a front projector represents by far the biggest bang for the buck. Plus, you can have just about any size image you want - up to double what you say you're looking for!

Front projectors are available for as little as $1K (plus a screen), or if you insist on getting all hung up on "resolution", you can move up to one that will support 768 X 1024 for another $1K or so. But don't be misled by all of the hype about resolution ... it's not nearly as important as some video CONEs make it out to be.

Hope this helps you make the best possible choice (which is most definitely not plasma - actually the worst possible choice, IMO). Avoid plasma displays like the plague and save yourself a ton of money, and very possibly a major headache to boot!

bag
03-19-2004, 01:02 PM
Thanks for all the help so far, folks! And yes, I am somewhat hung up on 1024x768, as that's the minimum resolution I like for games :D . With that constraint in mind, and assuming I address lighting issues, what are some good projectors to consider? How about variable costs (bulbs, anything else?) associated with said projectors?

AVMASTER
03-19-2004, 03:25 PM
the best match within your parameters would be:
Panasonic pt60lcx63
60" projected lcd HDTV ( atsc tuner built-in )
xga pc input
POD
HDMI input
dual tuner PIP
$5k (msrp )

Geoffcin
03-19-2004, 03:36 PM
Thanks for all the help so far, folks! And yes, I am somewhat hung up on 1024x768, as that's the minimum resolution I like for games :D . With that constraint in mind, and assuming I address lighting issues, what are some good projectors to consider? How about variable costs (bulbs, anything else?) associated with said projectors?

I'm in your same boat. Leaning heavily now toward the Panasonic pt-L500-U. Excellent native HD performance, and streets for about $2k. That will leave you plenty for a screen, and an HD decoder.

My first choice would be a better quality DLP like the NEC HT1000, but then you've spent your whole budget before you even have a screen!

Ogeez
03-21-2004, 10:23 PM

Many thanks!

I was looking for the exact same set up as you so after exaustive reseach and purchasing and set up, here is what I picked and all I can say is WOW! Best part of all this, it caost me $3000 CND and your in the US probably so it should not cost any more in USD. I have to admit that I had most of the PC already as of last year but still add on another $1000 if you don't. I bought alot of my stuff brand new in the box off the internet. Great deals if you have the patience.

Harmon Kardon AVR 220 Home Thearter Amp (Dewar's Audio Ottawa 'cause of service and knowledge)
B&W 601 FL/FR/C/RL/RR/SUB using 15 Gauge quad to pair connectors. (Dewar's Audio Ottawa 'cause of service and knowledge)
JVC ProScan DVD (Future Shop)
Sherwood 5 Disc CD Player (Dewar's Audio Ottawa 'cause of service and knowledge)
Technics Tape Deck (Old School)
Sony VCR (internet)
Dual 505 turn table w/Diamond Tip needle (Old School)
Digital Cable (Local Cable)
PC w/MSI Personal Cinema FX5200 Video Card, Soundblast Live 5.1, Maxtor 7200 120 Gig HD, Gforce4 NVidia 128mb Card, LG SUPER CD/DVD Rewriter - Black (GSA-4081B) for backups only, LG 48X/12X CD/CDRW (internet and PCCyber)
Epson PowerLite 10 LCD Projector (internet)
Da-Lite PermaWall High Contrast Cinema Vision Screen Vewing @101" Diagonally (internet)
Nintendo Game Cube w/64mb

Now I play DVD Movies, surf the Net, Play Call of Duty on line, GTA III and VC, and TV.

Thanks

shaizi
03-26-2004, 03:35 PM
If you need more information about front projectors, LCD, DLP, LCOS(Liquid crystal on silicon) send me an email at "fullcontact@shaw.ca". I will send you detailed information and answer any questions that you may have. Best regards.

magictooth
03-27-2004, 03:26 AM
My first choice would be a better quality DLP like the NEC HT1000, but then you've spent your whole budget before you even have a screen!
This projector is awesome. This is the one that I have. Even though I've set it up for 16x9 and it's a native 4:3 I still get great results with all input sources. I'd highly recommend this projector. I think some street prices are as little as $3500 or so. Check out http://www.projectorcentral.com/NEC-HT1000.htm and go to get dealer bids.