ebay Speakers...: Too Good to be True? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : ebay Speakers...: Too Good to be True?

challengaaah
01-05-2009, 09:16 AM
HI all- has anyone heard of Delphonica? I did a search on this forum and nothing came up. Check out these ultra cheap but good looking speakers on Ebay (Australia):

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Delphonica-DT939-Floor-standing-speakers-NEW-HIFI_W0QQitemZ120357196119QQihZ002QQcategoryZ14990 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The company is http://666666.com.au and is an internet company with over 15000 ebay sales. Look at their claimed Recommended Retail price and then the price they sell at, eg RRP $1395, our price $159. They boast nice specs: Result of 40 years of accoustic experience, Rosewood veneer cabinets, Kevlar drivers etc- I zoomed up on the label on the back - it says Designed in UK. Obviously made in China- but how is it possible? I also went to their online store in Sydney : http://666666.com.au/ and selected "Speakers" on the left column. You can pick up from the warehouse, so obviously they are not trying to hide. Its almost worth just buying a set to see how they sound for that money- about the cost of some good speaker cable.

challengaaah
01-05-2009, 09:27 AM
PS- they also have two Delphonica Valve Amps selling $499 and $799. Be interesting to put them and the speakers to some real tests and comparisons.

markw
01-05-2009, 10:16 AM
It usually is.

I can't say I've heard of 'em here (U S of A) and I've been keeping an eye on this hobby since the early 60's. But, I do have to wonder, when a company sticks a RRP if $1,400 on a speaker and then openly sells 'em for $160, what their true worth really is. Here in the states we would call that a "white van" speaker.

But, then again, I don't know everything.

GMichael
01-05-2009, 10:27 AM
At just $160, they look very nice. Even if the components turn out to be crap, you could find better ones to fit and build your own.

But, then again, I don't know everything.

Marisa will be crushed.

markw
01-05-2009, 10:38 AM
Marisa will be crushed.So will Rita, but I think she's starting to suspect something like that.

Hope things are well wid youse. Any baby bump yet?

GMichael
01-05-2009, 10:50 AM
So will Rita, but I think she's starting to suspect something like that.

Hope things are well wid youse. Any baby bump yet?

She has a bump, but she had that before getting Prego. Doesn't stop her from sticking it out as far as she can now. We got picks 2 weeks ago. It's too tiny to see in stills right now. But we could see it moving in the video. About the size of a pee.

How you doin'?

Rich-n-Texas
01-05-2009, 11:08 AM
6666666.com eh? Me? No thanks. Something very sleezy sounding when a website lists an address like this IMO.

GMichael
01-05-2009, 11:17 AM
6666666.com eh? Me? No thanks. Something very sleezy sounding when a website lists an address like this IMO.

He's from down under. That's really 9999999.

Rich-n-Texas
01-05-2009, 11:24 AM
I wouldn't buy from them either. :crazy:

thomasward00
01-05-2009, 03:41 PM
for that price, i'd give it a chance.

challengaaah
01-06-2009, 06:56 AM
999999.com.au... heh heh...yeah and i'm standing on my head as i type this...Anyway, thanks for feedback on these. I buy the line: "If it looks too good to be true..." But at that price i'm with GMike. Can swap the drivers around and still end up with decent speakers. It's always quite possible that they want to move them quickly so have marked them right down, who knows? Also could be good but damaged in some way. I might go for it- will let you know how they sound.

RoadRunner6
01-06-2009, 10:05 PM
I haven't been in this as long as Markw, only since the late 60's for me.

As we say up here, "I wouldn't touch these with a ten foot pole" that would be 3 meters to you mate. No way in hell would I send these guys one dollar. Google them and look at the website, no address, no phone number, no info of any kind. The specs as stated are meaningless. I could throw together a website like that in an hour.

Phony as hell IMO.

You say ... "Can swap the drivers around and still end up with decent speakers" You are preasuming you are actually going to get speakers let alone ones with a quality drivers. No way, mate. This is what we have called for years a white van operation. Only now they throw up a quick website to try and make it look legitimate and then sell very poor quality speakers on eBay.

If you're lucky they are a cheap version of Fluance speakers and might even sound slightly OK, maybe (don't bet your lunch money on it).

RR6 :D

winston
01-07-2009, 07:03 PM
WELL CHALLENGAAAH
it looks like someone bought a pair for AU 177.50 + $69 shipping is that you??
Winning bid: AU $177.50

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ended 06-Jan-09 10:45:51 AEDST
Postage: AU $69.00

MARINLAW
01-27-2009, 01:44 AM
with speakers like this its trial and error u try em out

listen with your own ears

some of these brands acualy sound quite good

nightflier
01-27-2009, 10:35 AM
Even at $177, I don't even see how that would pay for the cabinetwork. Are you sure these aren't made of cardboard (just thick enough to keep the drivers steady while they snap the pictures)?

White van all the way. You would be better off with Fluance or Streem, at least those guys have been doing it for some time.

winston
01-30-2009, 08:39 PM
with speakers like this its trial and error u try em out

listen with your own ears

some of these brands acualy sound quite good
I'm thinking that's not a bad idea if you can IF SEE THEM/ HEAR THEM BEFORE YOU BUY THEM

winston
01-30-2009, 09:02 PM
Even at $177, I don't even see how that would pay for the cabinetwork. Are you sure these aren't made of cardboard (just thick enough to keep the drivers steady while they snap the pictures)?

White van all the way. You would be better off with Fluance or Streem, at least those guys have been doing it for some time.

HA HA HA NIGHTFLIER
that's a good one about the speakers.....we don't see the WHITE van guys any more these days, down here in MIA FL in the 80'S we called them the jump out boys.

spasticteapot
02-04-2009, 10:38 PM

Look at the back of those speakers. They're made of low-grade chipboard no more than 1/4" thick. Total rubbish.

hydroman
02-06-2009, 10:22 AM
Run (do not walk) away!

I sense bad mojo.