Sony STR-545DE 5.1 help needed [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sony STR-545DE 5.1 help needed

PDubs
01-04-2009, 08:01 PM
I realize it's an older receiver, but before I replace it, I'm trying to give it one last go. I have tried using my source audio as the digital audio connection from these sources: PS3, HD-DVR, and my TV (Saumsung plasma circa 2005). Each one results in the same effect where only my fronts and sub is playing audio, my rears refuse to for some reason.

I've checked the connections from the receiver to the wall and swapped them to test and ensure the rear speakers actually work, and they are fine (wall panel has banana plug wiring to connect audio to entire house). I've played DVDs, BluRays, and listened to live broadcasts that are supposed to be in surround sound. Nothing seems to play out of the rear speakers, not even hissing.

The manual doesn't detail anything about forcing 5.1 since I'm trying to make the receiver do the work regardless of signal coming in. On the rear panel of the receiver, I'm using the standard connections for the speaker wire in the front/rear jacks. There is an optional section of 5.1 inputs, but they are RCA style plugs.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get the rear channels to work using this Sony STR-545DE?

Kevio
01-04-2009, 08:48 PM
Did the rear speakers stop working at one point or is this a case of them having never worked?

I believe you do need to go into the surround setup menu and tell the receiver that you've connected surround speakers before it will send signal to them.

PDubs
01-04-2009, 08:59 PM
In the 5.1 arrangement, the rear channel speakers worked once, and then I heard a loud "click" noise from the receiver unit. Since that time, there hasn't been any sound from the rear channel. Nothing is physically wrong with the speakers, just no sound being routed to the rear.

I have gone into the setup of the receiver and let it know there are rear channel speakers being used (behind instead of beside), they are of the small (micro) variety, and even put in the distance. Still no sound.

On a side note, I periodically hear this "click" noise coming from the receiver unit if I have the volume set to low. Once the volume goes above level 10 or so, then I tend to not hear the click (but not because of the increase in volume, I am listening for this click).

ajmi982
01-15-2009, 10:47 AM
I have the same issue. I get rear sound for a few minutes, sometimes a few hours, then CLICK from receiver and rear channel simply dies and stops working.

Anyone figgure this out?

f0rge
01-15-2009, 04:07 PM
sounds like something is broken in the receiver, i think it might be time for an upgrade

Kevio
01-15-2009, 09:49 PM
Is this click sound the same click sound you hear (from the speaker output relays) a few seconds after you turn on the receiver? Is the receiver possibly overheating?