We adopted a kitty today! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : We adopted a kitty today!

ForeverAutumn
01-04-2009, 05:26 PM
Well, maybe not so much a kitty as a 6-yr-old, 17 pound cat. His name is Brandy (can we change the name of 6-yr-old cat?). I actually went in to learn more about a rabbit that I saw on Friday. But then I fell in love with this cat and called Hubby to come and meet him. Two hours later we were taking him home.

We've just been letting him wander around the house and get used to things tonight. So far he's been very affectionate and he's eating and drinking (from the toilet!). He doesn't seem to be too interested in the Guinea Pigs but I'm going to put them in my office and close the door tonight and tomorrow while we're at work, just in case.

RoadRunner6
01-04-2009, 07:23 PM
Happy for you and your new "kitty." Maybe if he really is a he, you should change his name to Brandon or Brandan. Also, please don't take offense, but I think you should take 17 lb Brandon to see Jenny Craig!

RR6 :D

PS: Kitties need lots of kisses!

Groundbeef
01-05-2009, 03:56 AM
Happy for you and your new "kitty." Maybe if he really is a he, you should change his name to Brandon or Brandan. Also, please don't take offense, but I think you should take 17 lb Brandon to see Jenny Craig!

RR6 :D

PS: Kitties need lots of kisses!

Oh, sure on FA's thread you post an adorable picture of a kitty. On my thread with my children present you post two disgusting pictures of ladies of dubious rep. Nice.

Enjoy the cat FA. As long as you keep an eye on it, the piggys should be ok.

Rich-n-Texas
01-05-2009, 05:09 AM
Cute cat FA (well sorta). Has it been to the vet yet? One of my cats was overweight for most of her life and that led to diabetes. Blood and urine tests bore out what the vet said when I noticed Thelma drinking a lot of water and making frequent trips to the cat box. A change of diet (prescription) was called for and now she's free of the disease and about 3 pounds.

kexodusc
01-05-2009, 05:14 AM
Nice cat, looks a lot like my wife's...we named her Maple because of the color.
My wife is a sucker for adopting mature animals, she's a softie when it comes to pets. We have 2 cats we got a bit older...the dog we got after a family couldn't handle him as a puppy after only 3 days?

She applauds your commitment and thanks you for rescuing him. Most don't get a second a chance and I'm sure Brandy (or whatever you call him) is in good hands.

GMichael
01-05-2009, 06:06 AM
17 pounds huh? That's a fairly big kitty. Congrats. Cats can be a lot of fun. As far as changing his name, does he answer to his current name? Many cats won't, even though they do know their name.
We have two cats with totally different personalities. One is a fat cat who loves to spend time with us. She'll climb on the lap of whoever sits down first. The other is a tiny little 5 pounder who is never around. She just wants to be outside hunting 24/7. She comes home long enough to eat and leave.
Enjoy the new kitty. Don't forget to get him something (other than your furniture) to scratch on.

Worf101
01-05-2009, 07:19 AM
Must hold back.

There are SO MANY jokes that I could make in this thread but I won't....

Da "Modicum of Decorum" Worfster

Rich-n-Texas
01-05-2009, 07:37 AM
Yeah, Worf eats guinnea pigs and cats too! :yikes:

ForeverAutumn
01-05-2009, 07:58 AM
Thanks everyone. Once the cat settles in, he'll be put on a weight loss program. For now we're just free-feeding so that he feels comfortable and if he wants to do some emotional eating to reduce the stress he can.

He's in good health and we have a vet's certificate, coincidentally from a vet whose office is across the street from us and will probably become his regular vet.

Two weeks ago he had his teeth cleaned and two bad teeth removed. A series of blood tests were done at that time and everything came back normal. He stayed with a foster family while he recovered and they reported that he is an affectionate cat who needs a lot of attention.

He spent part of last night sleeping on our bed, keeping my feet warm. He left us around midnight, but then came back to our bed around 6:00am. He seems to be making himself right at home. Although he is still a little jumpy. I left him this morning, perched on a stack of boxes in the corner of our basement where he could see everything and not be snuck up on. But he was all purrs and cuddles when I went over to say good-bye.

We were also given a vet's report from when he was eight months old. It appears that he lived in same home from the time he was a kitten. Attached is an article of his circumstances and how he got to the adoption agency. I've attached the second article because Brandy is actually mentioned in it. Our biggest concern is how well he'll adapt to a house with no other cats. But who know...if we adapt well to having him around, maybe we'll get him a companion if he appears lonely. :)

http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/546076
http://www.metronews.ca/toronto/Local/article/146854

GMichael
01-05-2009, 07:59 AM
I vote for number 2.

ForeverAutumn
01-05-2009, 08:04 AM
Oh, sure on FA's thread you post an adorable picture of a kitty. On my thread with my children present you post two disgusting pictures of ladies of dubious rep. Nice.

Enjoy the cat FA. As long as you keep an eye on it, the piggys should be ok.

The Piggie cage is up on a table. He could hear noises coming from up there and was very, very curious. I picked him up and showed him what was in the cage. Once his curiousity was satisfied he didn't give the cage a second glance. So I think that we'll be fine. The cat does still have his claws though, so until I'm more comfortable with him I'm going to keep them separated when I'm not at home...just for a little while.

JSE
01-05-2009, 09:10 AM
Must hold back.

There are SO MANY jokes that I could make in this thread but I won't....

Da "Modicum of Decorum" Worfster

Glad I'm not the only one who's mind went straight to the gutter on this one. :D

FA, you got a nice.....um, well.....................cat there.

We have two cats along with the dog. One cat is as mean as a cuss and one in retarded. Seriously, she is retarded. She does not land on her feet when dropped, she sits on the back of a chair with her nose 1 inch away from a wall and stares at it for hours, she seems to be frightened by things that are not there and seems to get lost a lot inside the house. Sweet cat but not all there.

ForeverAutumn
01-05-2009, 09:24 AM
Seriously, she is retarded. She does not land on her feet when dropped

STOP DROPPING YOUR CAT! No wonder she has problems! :nono:

Have you had her eyes checked? It sounds like she may have poor vision.

ForeverAutumn
01-05-2009, 09:26 AM
Comments of a suggestive nature will not be tolerated in this thread.

Control yourselves! All of you! :nono:

GMichael
01-05-2009, 09:39 AM
Those types of comments will not be tolerated in this thread.

But Ma..

GMichael
01-05-2009, 09:45 AM
But Ma..

Tigger

JSE
01-05-2009, 09:47 AM
STOP DROPPING YOUR CAT! No wonder she has problems! :nono: .

I've only tried it a couple times. Long ago. :rolleyes:

Have you had her eyes checked? It sounds like she may have poor vision.

Yeah, her vision is not what it used to be. She is 17 now. However, she was retarded before her vision started to fail. My wife rescued her and her brother (now deceased, the brother cat, not my wife's actual brother) from being drowned in a bucket by her neighbor. The boy cat was next up but the retarded one was already in the bucket being drowned when the wife grabbed her. I'm guessing she had some brain damage from lack of oxygen. She's a very cool cat and sweet as can be. She does not take crap from my dog either. The dog is scarred to death of her.

ForeverAutumn
01-05-2009, 10:19 AM
I've only tried it a couple times. Long ago. :rolleyes:

Yeah, her vision is not what it used to be. She is 17 now. However, she was retarded before her vision started to fail. My wife rescued her and her brother (now deceased, the brother cat, not my wife's actual brother) from being drowned in a bucket by her neighbor. The boy cat was next up but the retarded one was already in the bucket being drowned when the wife grabbed her. I'm guessing she had some brain damage from lack of oxygen. She's a very cool cat and sweet as can be. She does not take crap from my dog either. The dog is scarred to death of her.

People actually drown kittens? I thought that was just a hollywood myth. That's so sick!

I'm glad that your wife was there to save them and give them a good life.

JSE
01-05-2009, 11:55 AM
People actually drown kittens? I thought that was just a hollywood myth. That's so sick!

I'm glad that your wife was there to save them and give them a good life.

Yeah, it was in Fort Worth, Texas. Up near the Dallas area where "Rich" is close to. Dang North Texas hillbillies! You gotta watch'um. Not that Rich would drown a cat.

Rich-n-Texas
01-05-2009, 12:15 PM
How the heck am I missing all these posts from Cartman???

If I'd seen a neighbor trying to drown a pet of ANY kind in a bucket of water, the perpetrator's head would've quickly been substituted. There's no excuse whatsoever for that kind of thing, and sh!t like this makes me very angry.

I'm coming closer every day to stopping in at the local Animal Control office to complain about my nextdoor neighbor who brings home dogs, puts them in the yard and totally ignores them. They bark at night and cry during the day. I can't prove it because I was looking over top of the fence between her yard and mine, but one day I was certain I saw one of her daughters yelling "NO" and repeatedly kicking one of the three dogs.

Anyway, back to the pleasantries.

Rich-n-Texas
01-05-2009, 12:48 PM
Those types of comments will not be tolerated in this thread.
I can't find where he said that. :idea:

What?! What I say???

Ajani
01-05-2009, 12:55 PM
If I'd seen a neighbor trying to drown a pet of ANY kind in a bucket of water, the perpetrator's head would've quickly been substituted. There's no excuse whatsoever for that kind of thing, and sh!t like this makes me very angry.

Ditto... I can't figure why the hell someone would want to kill their pet, when they could just send it to the local animal shelter or put out an ad in the paper etc to try and get it adopted...

On a nicer note: Congrats on the new pet FA!!!

I'll be adopting 2 puppies this evening... I saw one of them at lunch time... such a cute little guy (wonder if he'll still look that way when he grows up?)....

GMichael
01-05-2009, 01:01 PM
I can't find where he said that. :idea:

I deleted it in an effort to promote communal harmony.:thumbsup:

Rich-n-Texas
01-05-2009, 01:16 PM
I see said the blind man. :eek:

ForeverAutumn
01-05-2009, 01:38 PM
I'll be adopting 2 puppies this evening... I saw one of them at lunch time... such a cute little guy (wonder if he'll still look that way when he grows up?)....

That's great! Congratulations Ajani. You'll have to post a pic when you get them.

ForeverAutumn
01-05-2009, 01:40 PM
I deleted it in an effort to promote communal harmony.:thumbsup:

And now I've edited my post so there is no paper trail. :yesnod:

Thanks GM.

RoadRunner6
01-05-2009, 03:31 PM
Maybe if he really is a he, you should change his name to Brandon or Brandan.

Maybe you could just call him Brandy for short.

My wife loves to watch the animal cops on the Animal Planet
channel. Some sad stories but mostly happy endings. It is simply criminal how some people treat animals.

I love to watch the program anytime officer Lucas is on! Special Investigator Annemarie Lucas lives with her four rescued cats named Shaney, Benny, Mako and Cody and her four dogs named Phoebe, Sasha, Tess and Ace. (there is hope for you Rich) Single men only, click on the link below.

http://www.zimbio.com/Annemarie+Lucas/pictures/pro

OK, enough of Annemarie and back to Brandy.

RR6

GMichael
01-06-2009, 05:58 AM

Somewhere in between self destructive junkies and poor swimmers are self-choking masturbators.

Err..??

Worf101
01-06-2009, 07:44 AM

(Sucks teeth and paws at the dirt) Aww shucks Ma'am that's no fun!!!! How's a fellah to have any laughs when everythin' dirty's off limits...

Da Worfster

bobsticks
01-06-2009, 08:20 PM

Wha?...did someone say this thread needed inappropriate comments?

I'm here huckleberry.

ForeverAutumn
01-07-2009, 12:53 PM
I have a sneaking suspicion that another kitty could be in our possession very soon. I just have to twist Hubby's arm a teeny bit more.

MWAAAAHAAAAAHAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!

JSE
01-07-2009, 01:50 PM
I have a sneaking suspicion that another kitty could be in our possession very soon. I just have to twist Hubby's arm a teeny bit more.

Just be careful. Once the cats outnumber the people in a household, you officially become "Weird Cat People". :p

GMichael
01-07-2009, 02:02 PM
Just be careful. Once the cats outnumber the people in a household, you officially become "Weird Cat People". :p

You can never have too much....
Oops, sorry bout dat.

JSE
01-07-2009, 02:29 PM
You can never have too much....
Oops, sorry bout dat.

Oooooooooo, FA's gonna spank you for that one! :ihih:

Ooops, sorry myself!

JSE bends over and waits for his own spanking!

GMichael
01-07-2009, 02:42 PM
Oooooooooo, FA's gonna spank you for that one! :ihih:

Ooops, sorry myself!

JSE bends over and waits for his own spanking!

I'm not on that list.

GMichael
01-07-2009, 02:43 PM

A tigger kitty? Tigger kitties are just the friendliest.

Groundbeef
01-07-2009, 04:40 PM
I've recinded my comments. Sorry for the confusion.

ForeverAutumn
01-07-2009, 05:25 PM
Things are getting out of hand. Must be the cold in Canada. It's freezing her inhibitions.

What's getting out of hand is all of this sexual innuendo. I don't mind a little fun flirting with you guys, but not everything I say is a double entendre. Where in this thread have I said anything that makes you think that I would post about a brass poll Groundbeef? Would you be making these comments to your wife? Would you even tell your wife that you're posting these comments to me?

I know that there are a lot of animal lovers here and I thought that I would share my excitement about adopting a cat. That's all it is. A cat. It is nothing more. It was never intended to be anything more.

Groundbeef
01-08-2009, 04:15 AM
Yes I would make the comments to my wife. Yes, I would tell her I posted them.

And, yes, I am sorry that I posted them and caused you grief. I've taken them back, and if you edit your post to eliminate them they will be gone. It won't happen again.

GMichael
01-08-2009, 05:54 AM
Sorry for my part FA. Was just joking like I do with everyone. Wifey is used to me that way, but I never meant to offend you.

ForeverAutumn
01-08-2009, 06:26 AM
I know that no-one here would intentionally offend me and it's all in good fun. I don't want to ruin anyone's fun. Usually when I find a thread heading to locker room territory (like some of the party threads) I just stop reading them. Or, if I don't like a particular comment I'll ignore it. But it's hard to do that when it's your own thread.

I was just concerned about where I'm seeing the general direction of most of my posts going and felt that I needed to say something before I really did get offended.

I'm not offended. I'm not upset. I just wanted to let you know how I feel. Yes, I'm a woman, I need to discuss my feelings. Deal with it. :)

Rich-n-Texas
01-08-2009, 06:40 AM
I know nothing I said was of a sexual nature. :biggrin5:

My first response was some advice and a comparison to the weight of your new kitty cat FA. Before Thelma got put on a low calorie canned prescription diet, she was still eating only prescription food. I'm realizing that now that my cats are in their.. I guess you could say senior years (both Thelma & Louise are about 10 y/o) the amount of their caloric intake has much more of an impact than when there were young whippersnappers. Really, no different than humans in that regard. A kitchen scale and a new digital bathroom scale are on the horizon for all three of us.

BTW - No dash between no and one. And there's no such word as noone!!! (Kids today are really hacking the English language)

:ihih:

Worf101
01-08-2009, 06:43 AM
I hereby volunteer to join the rest of the miscreants in the dog house. Even though I stopped mysef from illicit posting. Nothing like putting a staple in your hand everytime you have a wicked thought to stop you from doin the nasty canasta.

Da Worfster

PS F.A. we'd NEVER do anything to deliberately upset you. Hell you're one of the few Canuckians and only Den Mutha we got!!!! Can't run you off.

GMichael
01-08-2009, 06:53 AM
I know that no-one here would intentionally offend me and it's all in good fun. I don't want to ruin anyone's fun. Usually when I find a thread heading to locker room territory (like some of the party threads) I just stop reading them. Or, if I don't like a particular comment I'll ignore it. But it's hard to do that when it's your own thread.

I was just concerned about where I'm seeing the general direction of most of my posts going and felt that I needed to say something before I really did get offended.

I'm not offended. I'm not upset. I just wanted to let you know how I feel. Yes, I'm a woman, I need to discuss my feelings. Deal with it. :)

Glad that everything is still roses. I'll do my best to remember not to push your threads into the gutter, but it is who I am. I'm the same way in person. Just ask wifey. She'll roll her eyes and tell you stories about when I said this or that. Enough of that though.

What about the second kitty? Did you get it? Any picks? What can you tell us about him/her?

Rich-n-Texas
01-08-2009, 06:58 AM
I'm uncomfortable with the direction you've chosen to take with your Avatar pictures, GM...

ForeverAutumn
01-08-2009, 07:00 AM
BTW - No dash between no and one. And there's no such word as noone!!! (Kids today are really hacking the English language)

:ihih:

From Dictionary.com:

no one 
–noun no person; not anyone; nobody: No one is home.

Also, no-one.

ForeverAutumn
01-08-2009, 07:04 AM
What about the second kitty? Did you get it? Any picks? What can you tell us about him/her?

It's still being discussed. We're both quite happy with one cat. If we got a second one it would be for Brandy's benefit. We're just watching his behaviour to see whether we think he's going to be lonely.

If we get a second cat, we'll call the woman that runs the Rescue that we adopted him from. Since she knows him, she'll be able to find us another cat that will be compatible...possibly even from the same home that he originally came from. I'll keep you posted.

Rich-n-Texas
01-08-2009, 07:05 AM
Okay. You win on that score FA. I retract...

But aren't you proud of me for giving you so much good wisdom about cats? :sad:

ForeverAutumn
01-08-2009, 07:05 AM
PS F.A. we'd NEVER do anything to deliberately upset you. Hell you're one of the few Canuckians and only Den Mutha we got!!!! Can't run you off.

Thanks Worf. I know that. Which is exactly why I felt that I had to say something.

JSE
01-08-2009, 07:13 AM
I'm sorry. I'll try and be better but like GM mentioned, it's my nature. I'm this way around everyone so I sometimes forget not all people are receptive of my "humor".

I'm still sticking to my Cat to Human Household Ratio Factor (CTHHRF) comments. Never let the kitties outnumber the people!

ForeverAutumn
01-08-2009, 07:15 AM
Okay. You win on that score FA. I retract...

But aren't you proud of me for giving you so much good wisdom about cats? :sad:

Yes Rich. Thanks. I'll take all the advice that I can get. It's been over 20 years since I last had a cat in my home.

BTW, I'm glad to hear that your cat was able to overcome the diabetes. I had a friend whose cat became diabetic and he wasn't overweight at all. She gave him insulin shots twice a day but eventually he had to be put down. I'm happy that your cat had better results.

As for Brandy, I've been monitoring how much he eats and he doesn't appear to be overeating. As of this morning, I'm actually measuring out his food to be sure that we aren't over feeding him. Of course, I have no idea how much he was being fed in the past. But with 80 cats in the house, I'm guessing that no one was paying much attention to those little details.

Rich-n-Texas
01-08-2009, 08:44 AM
Yes Rich. Thanks. I'll take all the advice that I can get. It's been over 20 years since I last had a cat in my home.
It's been about 20 years since I last went small game hunting. Shame on me for shooting at Peter Cottontail, but the truth is I couldn't ever bring myself to hunt animals again. Maybe it's my age, or maybe it's the environment I live in now. Who knows.

BTW, I'm glad to hear that your cat was able to overcome the diabetes. I had a friend whose cat became diabetic and he wasn't overweight at all. She gave him insulin shots twice a day but eventually he had to be put down. I'm happy that your cat had better results.
Same here. What hurt me the most during this time is that I felt both her and I had lost a certain amount of independance, something that's instinctual in felines. The vet said she was fortunate because I'd noticed the change in drinking and urinating habits very early on.

As for Brandy, I've been monitoring how much he eats and he doesn't appear to be overeating. As of this morning, I'm actually measuring out his food to be sure that we aren't over feeding him. Of course, I have no idea how much he was being fed in the past. But with 80 cats in the house, I'm guessing that no one was paying much attention to those little details.
Good girl(gal, lady, hottie, fox, broad, dame, chick...) :thumbsup:

I seem to be in the habit of just estimating how much food goes into their bowls as opposed to reading the instructions on the bag/can, but I think it's time to pay closer attention to this. Louise, who is relatively healthy for her age, seems to have plumped up a bit. The vet recommended I change Thelma's feeding schedule from twice a day to three times a day (same amount of food overall though) and because the two of them do EVERYTHING together (females... sisters... whaddaya gonna do :rolleyes: ... :smilewinkgrin: ) their new schedule has affected Louise, that's why it's time for weight scales.

Ajani
01-09-2009, 02:10 PM
That's great! Congratulations Ajani. You'll have to post a pic when you get them.

Done:

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=29231&page=2

JSE
01-09-2009, 02:16 PM
Done:

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=29231&page=2

Very cute pair there Ajani. They will bring you a lot of joy. Make sure you spoil them rotten. You don't want a Rot/Shep mix being upset with you!

Puppies are great. Full speed crazy playing one second. Two seconds later, crashed out like a rock. Then repeat over and over.

GMichael
01-09-2009, 02:28 PM
Very cute pair there Ajani. They will bring you a lot of joy. Make sure you spoil the rotten. You don't a Rot/Shep mix being upset with you!

Puppies are great. Full speed crazy playing one second. Two seconds later, crashed out like a rock. Then repeat over and over.
Funny, even with you leaving out the occasional letter or word, I still know what you're saying.

JSE
01-09-2009, 02:36 PM
Funny, even with you leaving out the occasional letter or word, I still know what you're saying.

Hmmmmphf.......:mad:

Rich-n-Texas
01-09-2009, 03:49 PM
Rats! I missed it. :lol: