bizarre download sites [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : bizarre download sites

Jim Clark
03-15-2004, 07:12 AM
Stumbled upon these two download sites with some really unique features. First, if you register (free) you can listen to tons of music for free. I just listened to the entire new Tears for Fears release (it's really bad but not even released until April 6). I can download the entire album for .83 cents or just download tracks at an average of 5 cents per song. The MP3 file bit rate varies among tracks for some reason but it's never below 192.

These seem to be Russian sites but you can set up an account through paypal so I don't think you'd have to worry about having bogus charges run up by the Russian mafia. This is not an endorsement of either service, just was stunned at the pricing. At the very least it's a good way to sample some stuff before purchasing an actual CD. Not sure about the selection as I've only just nosed around a bit.

http://club.mp3search.ru/
http://www.allofmp3.com/index2.shtml

jc

Gresh
03-15-2004, 07:37 AM
Yup, this Russian site has been up awhile and from what I hear is reliable - The debate however remains -- is it legal? Seems copyright law in Russia is pretty lax but can you download it here where downloading copyrighted material is not legal (without permission)?

I don't know answer but I figure the RIAA doesn't care where ya get it from - the files are illegal. Now I'm no hypocrite - I do use P2P sites - I think the Russian site has the right idea but I'm not paying them any money. When the big music companies come to their senses and charge like a nickle or dime a download with unlimited usage - then sign me up and I'll gladly pay. I'll even pay a monthly subscription fee.

Before ya knock my logic - consider this - at any given time you have, what, 3 million ppl on P2P - thats a lot of downloading - even at a nickle a pop - that adds up to some serious coinage. Money in the fat cats pocket - a bit (unfortunately- they deserve more) for the artists and product and exposure to the consumer.

Sharing is caring

Dave_G
03-15-2004, 08:18 AM
We are collecting the Pepsi bottle freebies, so far we have 2 free songs we have downloaded.

From Itunes I think.

Works pretty good so far, I wonder if you can burn a cdr from the songs you download?

Dave

Jim Clark
03-16-2004, 06:15 AM
We are collecting the Pepsi bottle freebies, so far we have 2 free songs we have downloaded.

From Itunes I think.

Works pretty good so far, I wonder if you can burn a cdr from the songs you download?

Dave

A brief check of the forums at the sites suggests that burning to CD isn't a problem. These don't seem to have a watermark or other flags that would cause any problems.

jc