Week 21: 25 Greatest Live Records of All Time [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Week 21: 25 Greatest Live Records of All Time

Swish
01-04-2009, 05:20 PM
I thought I'd get an early start on the week since I have a ball busying week ahead of me. I like this choice, although his comments about punk are out of line...sort of.

5) Radio One--Jimi Hendrix Experience: Picking one Hendrix live album is like eating one Pringle. It doesn’t happen in real life. But this isn’t real life, and no matter how unfair, I chose this one because it has a better track selection than most and features stuff recorded at different times and the sound quality is better than most. I prefer Hendrix’s off nights because it’s more interesting to hear him struggle to keep his guitar in tune than it is to hear him simply blaze through his catalog like it was easy or something. Just as punk bands encourage amateurs to pick up a guitar because anyone could do as well, Hendrix makes you want to put down your guitar and give up because there’s no way to do what this maniac pulled off.

Swish - quite pleased with the Eagles victory today. Ready to face J's Gints next week

3-LockBox
01-04-2009, 08:12 PM
his comments about punk are...

spot on

FWIW: rootin fer the Eagles next week

noddin0ff
01-05-2009, 04:58 AM
Live? Live-ish maybe. I like the album but is plays more like a best of B-sides than a live album. Some great blues tracks though. 'Maniac'? The tracks are all great and it's a lot better than a Best of collection of the well known and overplayed top singles. Maniac? This is just more of his usual virtuosity. Hardly, a maniac go for broke effort. The recording quality seems a little anemic too and I have the Ryko release, Ryko always does a nice job. If I want Hendrix live, I go to Live at Wonderland.

Swish
01-05-2009, 05:05 AM
FWIW: rootin fer the Eagles next week

I wonder if Rich in Texas will jump back on the bandwagon? :wink5:

I like they way they handled the Giants the last time they played, but this game means so much more and I'd rather see Philly playing on their home dirt. I'm just glad to see us reach the second round. That Viking run defense was nasty!

jonnyhambone
01-05-2009, 05:51 PM
his comments about punk are

spot on

...agreed. one of my fave live albums (actually tape...I only have the Roir cassette from when they only released tapes) is indoobitably The Raincoats @ the Kitchen from 1982. Greil Marcus wrote in the liner notes that the Raincoats playing was so scrappy that when a waiter dropped a tray of glasses, everybody got up and danced. That's punk...a glorious, messy album though.

What he (G. Marcus) also said in these liner notes: "What I'm talking about is the process of punk: the move from enormous feeling combined with very limited technique - more to the point, enormous feeling unleashed by the first stirrings of very limited technique - to much more advanced technique in search of subject matter suited to it."...

bobsticks
01-05-2009, 06:02 PM
I prefer Hendrix’s off nights because it’s more interesting to hear him struggle to keep his guitar in tune than it is to hear him simply blaze through his catalog like it was easy or something.

Yeah...not so much. Mebbe it's having come of age with the descendants of Hendrix but I've little interest in out-of-tune ramblings. Don't really care for atonal, artsy kernoodling in jazz either...just my thing but this isn't a selling point.