Has the Quality on Blu-Ray Players Improved Since They Were Launched? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Has the Quality on Blu-Ray Players Improved Since They Were Launched?

EdwardGein
01-04-2009, 03:11 PM
One thing I'm curious on as I know a lot of people here bought Blu-Ray when it first came out- Did the earlier Blu-Ray Players produce as good a picture and sound as the current players or has there been a big improvement since its launch? I know there's been an improvement in loading time from reading posts here but I just wonder if performance quality has always remained at the current high level.

Gifts and Free Advice Blog (http://www.giftsandfreeadvice.com/free_advice/)

pixelthis
01-05-2009, 10:50 PM
The first players were 1080i.
BUT WITH 1080P TELEVISION becoming more prevalent BLU went 1080p.
Probably planned to but the format war demanded it.
ALSO load times and other tweaks have been instituted.
Blu player have improved a great deal, remember they have been out awhile now.
I do know that I auditioned early players and they didnt impress me at all, ands I am one that has to have the next thang.
LOOKING AT ONE in a friends house six months ago sealed the deal.
AND of course I then had to have a 1080p monitor, a bunch of discs, trying to figure
out how to get a new receiver....:1:

EdwardGein
01-06-2009, 01:51 AM
I have a 1080i HDTV and the picture looks fantastic. I can imagine had it looks like on a 1080p HDTV (I'm happy with my 1080i set and I just don't have the money to get a 1080p especially as I'm happy with my set. But I said the same thing about my HDTV and Blu-Ray and now i'm a Blu-Ray Believer.

chadjay
01-06-2009, 03:52 AM
Bluray is the way to go. Probably the best player is Sony's Play Station 3. The PS3 has taken on every upgrade to bluray since it has been rolled out. Load times for discs is really quick compared to some of the other players I have seen. The ONLY issue with the PS3 is NO bitstream HD audio. Although, the PS3 does convert the DTS-HD and DolbyHD to PCM as multichannel audio over HDMI or OPT. I cannot justify buying a high-end bluray only player just to get bitstream audio. The PCM multichannel audio through my Denon AVR-3808CI is awesome enough.

As far as picture, bluray on a mid-level 1080p display is the only way to watch. I had a 1080i display that looked good, but fast motion scenes looked blurry on bluray. Since I watch mostly action and sci-fi movies 1080i wasn't cutting it. Maybe if you watch "On Golden Pond" on bluray at 1080i, it might work OK. :Yawn: