Subwoofer underperforming [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer underperforming

COZ6650
01-04-2009, 08:30 AM
I recently purchased a set of JBL SCS 150SI home theater speakers on EBAY. The subwoofer barely puts out any sound. I connected an Infinity as well as Harmon Kardon subwoofer using same standard setup and audio and they worked fine... any suggestions?

Kevio
01-04-2009, 09:31 AM
What kind of receiver do you have? Have you done the surround sound setup procedure on the receiver? How is the subwoofer connected? What settings are available on the subwoofer itself?

COZ6650
01-04-2009, 10:20 AM
Kevio... I have a Yamaha HTR 5460 receiver with Harmon Kardon HKTS 7 speakers and subwoofer. I also have a little Infinity 8" 100 watt sub that I keep around just because it is so kickin' . Yes I have done all the setup procedures and the current HKTS7 system works fine HKTS7 subwoofer = fine... Infinity sub = fine... JBL at full volume barely putting out. The receiver has a single RCA sub RCA line out which have hooked to the subs (usually only one at a time :crazy: ) The HKTS sub is connected sub out to line level in while the Infinity is connected sub out to low level in. I hooked up the JBL sub out to line level in. The JBL also has an LFE in which I tried and it di not make a difference.
Thanks

What kind of receiver do you have? Have you done the surround sound setup procedure on the receiver? How is the subwoofer connected? What settings are available on the subwoofer itself?

blackraven
01-04-2009, 11:12 AM
The sub may be bad. Does the JBL sub have speaker level inputs? If so, try connecting them to your speaker outputs of your receiver and see if the sub works properly. If it still has weak output you will have your answer.

COZ6650
01-04-2009, 12:10 PM
I tried the speaker level inputs and the volume at half was just barely putting out... at full volume it was just a little over. On my other two subs I haven't even chanced full volume:eek6:

Kevio
01-04-2009, 01:42 PM
It sounds like you know what you're doing. It sounds like there's something wrong. Are there any other symptoms besides low level - hum, distortion, overheating? I suggest you may have found a permanent use for your Infinity sub.

markw
01-04-2009, 02:01 PM
Offhand, I'd say it sounds like you just bought someone's broken speaker system. Gotta love Ebay.

audio amateur
01-04-2009, 02:26 PM
Offhand, I'd say it sounds like you just bought someone's broken speaker system. Gotta love Ebay.
LOL, Nice way of putting it. Realistic anyway

COZ6650
01-04-2009, 02:40 PM
Actually... EBay and PayPal have implemented a new program whereas the payment for items (especially electronics and computers) is held by PayPal until the item is received and the seller is given positve feedback. So... I contacted PayPal, my payment is safe eventhough the seller is disputing my claim that I have made against him. I could understand (maybe) damage during shipment provided that the item was packed properly...but the the way this smells... ahem... I mean looks, the seller had to have known that the sub wasn't working or else he was just plain ignorant as to what a functioning sub sounds like. Anyway... thanks to all of you for the help... you have confirmed what I suspected :thumbsup:

COZ6650
01-04-2009, 02:47 PM
BTW... I don't usually have that little kicka-s Infinity sub turned on. The thing though that I like about it is that you have a crossover control knob on it... I seems to be pretty discrete for such an inexpensive sub.

RoadRunner6
01-04-2009, 07:44 PM
It seems that I have heard of a number of those JBL subs in the HTIB systems having problems, one here recently. COZ6650 meet Cyberpac9 (has the SCS 160SI):

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=29153

Shame on the guy for trying to slip you a defective sub!

RR6