My Sony VHS does not go past 2008 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : My Sony VHS does not go past 2008

Hyfi
01-03-2009, 08:11 AM
It took me a few minutes to figure out why the VHS did not record a programmed show. Checked the clock and it was fine. When I looked at the date it was 1973. I went about setting it to the correct date and scrolled thru the years...2006...2007...2008...1973...WTF? I did find a year where the day and date was the same for now.

Anyone else hit the Y2K009 bug? What do you think Sony will do about it? I'm going to contact them next.

Rich-n-Texas
01-03-2009, 09:04 AM
No offense Hyfi, but this situation is kinda humorous. You KNOW what pixie's going to say right? :lol:

The only Sony product I own is a PS3, so that's not a problem, but I'd sure be interested to read what Sony has to say after you've contacted them. Good luck.

hifitommy
01-03-2009, 06:54 PM
i am sure you can also guess. well, its good for archiving music on hifi. and playback of what you already have. no more programming.

sorry.

bobsticks
01-03-2009, 06:57 PM
Proof positive of planned obsolescence, eh...fairly generous though.

I once ran out of beads on my abacus figuring out the tip at Elmo's, so I'm feelin' yer pain.

BTW, have you checked out that new Stanley Jordan yet?

N. Abstentia
01-03-2009, 07:10 PM
What's a VHS and why do you have one?

Hyfi
01-04-2009, 10:23 AM
What's a VHS and why do you have one?

I have 3 VHS machines as well as a Sony Beta HiFi. I use the VHS to record shows. Until I can get a reasonably priced, decent, Hard Drive Recorder that works just like a VCR, I will continue to use them.

N. Abstentia
01-04-2009, 01:52 PM
I have 3 VHS machines as well as a Sony Beta HiFi. I use the VHS to record shows. Until I can get a reasonably priced, decent, Hard Drive Recorder that works just like a VCR, I will continue to use them.

I have three DVR's that cost much less than my old VCR's did, and they work WAAAY better!

02audionoob
01-04-2009, 02:17 PM
I have three DVR's that cost much less than my old VCR's did, and they work WAAAY better!

What DVR does what a VCR can do and costs less than a VCR?

N. Abstentia
01-04-2009, 05:33 PM

Any DVR can do what a VCR does (except play videotapes) and I get mine free from DirecTV :)

You can even get a $50 software that turns your PC into a DVR.

E-Stat
01-04-2009, 05:37 PM
Anyone else hit the Y2K009 bug? What do you think Sony will do about it? I'm going to contact them next.
Interesting dilemma. I checked my trusty Panasonic and found it was good until '14. I suspect that most units do not have a mechanism for eprom upgrades to address the issue.

rw

N. Abstentia
01-04-2009, 06:35 PM

And I'm just curious..other than play a videotape (which most certainly should have been dubbed to DVD anyway), what can a VCR do that a DVR can't?

E-Stat
01-04-2009, 06:47 PM
And I'm just curious..other than play a videotape (which most certainly should have been dubbed to DVD anyway), what can a VCR do that a DVR can't?
Play all the commercial VHS movies that cannot be copied via DVD recorder due to copy protection.

rw

02audionoob
01-04-2009, 07:14 PM

A VCR can work without any sort of subscription to any service at all and has unlimited permanent storage.

02audionoob
01-04-2009, 07:16 PM
Any DVR can do what a VCR does (except play videotapes) and I get mine free from DirecTV :)

You can even get a $50 software that turns your PC into a DVR.

$50 for software, plus the cost of a PC and the cost of a TV tuner card is more than the cost of a VCR. In fact, it's more than the cost of several VCR's.

TheHills44060
01-04-2009, 08:07 PM
I have a Sony SLV-799H and I do not have the same problem. I just checked now and i can set the date/time all the way past 2055. I use it regularly to tape sporting events and most of the movies i like aren't on dvd.

N. Abstentia
01-04-2009, 08:08 PM
Play all the commercial VHS movies that cannot be copied via DVD recorder due to copy protection.

rw

A cheap macrovision buster will fix that...or just spend the $5 and buy the DVD version of the movie....or just copy the DVD for free!

N. Abstentia
01-04-2009, 08:09 PM
A VCR can work without any sort of subscription to any service at all and has unlimited permanent storage.

A DVR does not require a subscription, and storage is only limited by your hard drive. A VHS tape holds only 2 hours.

N. Abstentia
01-04-2009, 08:11 PM
$50 for software, plus the cost of a PC and the cost of a TV tuner card is more than the cost of a VCR. In fact, it's more than the cost of several VCR's.

I'm assuming most folks already have a PC here (since you're typing on one now!) and most tuner cards are around $40 and come with the basic software.

N. Abstentia
01-04-2009, 08:11 PM
Anything else? :)

02audionoob
01-04-2009, 08:18 PM
I'm assuming most folks already have a PC here (since you're typing on one now!) and most tuner cards are around $40 and come with the basic software.

Of course there are various ways to do similar things, but I really would like to have a digital machine that operates just like a VCR. I just don't know of one. I have a PC, a TV tuner card, and Windows Media Center (comes with Vista). It isn't doing what a VCR does, though. I would still like a digital machine that could just sit there attached to the TV and turn itself on, record an over-the-air show and shut itself off. And the VCR's limit isn't 2 hours. It's 6 per tape. And I could buy an unlimited number of tapes.

02audionoob
01-04-2009, 08:18 PM
Anything else? :)

Really? Are you kidding? :p

I don't want to continue hijacking this thread, so I'll sit this one out from here.

N. Abstentia
01-05-2009, 04:26 AM
I would still like a digital machine that could just sit there attached to the TV and turn itself on, record an over-the-air show and shut itself off.

I'm nearly positive that any DVR will do that. Mine does I know..but I don't shut it on/off, it just stays on. All I have to do it tell it what show to record and it's done. I can also tell it a time frame to record.

Worf101
01-05-2009, 05:53 AM
My Time Warner DVR/Cable box has an option to "record program to VCR" but it's of course NOT High Def. But I've still a VCR in the basement, maybe oneday I'll pull her out and go from there.

Da Worfster

Hyfi
01-05-2009, 06:35 AM
I'm nearly positive that any DVR will do that. Mine does I know..but I don't shut it on/off, it just stays on. All I have to do it tell it what show to record and it's done. I can also tell it a time frame to record.

First of all, your DVR was not free or $50. You continue to pay for your direct tv which in turn pays for the DVR. The DVR you have will not work without the Direct-TV service the same as the ones from any cable provider.

I have several PCs but do not wish to leave one running all the time to record a weekly show. The old crappy Tivo will work without a service but the new HD Tivo will ONLY work with a paid TV service.

There have been a few standalone DVRs and I am assuming more to come. There should be no reason a DVR can't be produced and sold to work for OTA with manual programming. All they need to do is replace the tape with a hard drive.

I appreciate all your input but none of it was helpful for my problem.

If you can point all of us to a DVR that works just like a VCR and does not need a paid service to operate, by all means clue us in. I don't have cable, direct tv or fios and plan to stay that way until there is no more OTA tv. I am aware of two on the market now and one coming in the spring.

How about you?

GMichael
01-05-2009, 09:35 AM
I have a JVC DR-MX1 Hard Drive/DVD/VHS. It does everything you are asking for without a subscription. Pricing was a little high and I'm not even sure if it's still available.

Sorry, couldn't find anymore info.

pixelthis
01-05-2009, 10:14 PM
It took me a few minutes to figure out why the VHS did not record a programmed show. Checked the clock and it was fine. When I looked at the date it was 1973. I went about setting it to the correct date and scrolled thru the years...2006...2007...2008...1973...WTF? I did find a year where the day and date was the same for now.

What are they going to do about it?
Probably laugh their asses off.
You need to catch a Delorean to the present.
FORGET DVR, that is not the appropriate replacement for this dead format.
Recordable DVD is.
A DVD recorder (sony) can be had without a tuner at Walfart for 145 bucks, handles dual
layer discs(8 gig)
Want to time shift? Get one with a tuner like I did, or record off of the line input from a
cable box, which I also do.
ANY VHS tape you have will gradually disapear, so will DVD but they are a lot more robust.
Record all of your VHS to DVD and toss the VHS.
THE BEST VHS will be sub NTSC, in other words sub CRAP.
AND when you finish replacing your decaying VHS collection there are a few other new inventions you might want to consider.
Like a CELL FONE.
Cars with fuel injection.
Microwave ovens.
etc:1:

Hyfi
01-06-2009, 03:37 AM
What are they going to do about it?
Probably laugh their asses off.
You need to catch a Delorean to the present.
FORGET DVR, that is not the appropriate replacement for this dead format.
Recordable DVD is.
A DVD recorder (sony) can be had without a tuner at Walfart for 145 bucks, handles dual
layer discs(8 gig)
Want to time shift? Get one with a tuner like I did, or record off of the line input from a
cable box, which I also do.
ANY VHS tape you have will gradually disapear, so will DVD but they are a lot more robust.
Record all of your VHS to DVD and toss the VHS.
THE BEST VHS will be sub NTSC, in other words sub CRAP.
AND when you finish replacing your decaying VHS collection there are a few other new inventions you might want to consider.
Like a CELL FONE.
Cars with fuel injection.
Microwave ovens.
etc:1:

Gee, your so funny and did not help a bit, as usual. Just have to put your wise ass comments everywhere, huh?

If you read my original post you would have noticed that I said nothing about a VHS collection.

What Sony told me is what I already figured out to do before I ever posted or emailed them...set the date to a year with same day/date. Where was your useful suggestion?

Why a DVD recorder? Don't you waste a disk every time you want to record something? All I want to do is record to watch at a later time and then record over it for the next time.

While I am busy contemplating all the new inventions, you may want to learn how to spell the word "Phone".

Thanks for no help.

Woochifer
01-06-2009, 08:56 PM
Pretty funny. My 14-year old Mitsubishi VCR still works, but the year on the clock stopped turning over about 5 years ago. That Mitsubishi was replaced by a JVC S-VHS VCR a while ago, and I don't know how much longer the calendar on that unit has left.

Fortunately, I now have a Directv DVR (and NA, the DVR DOES cost extra, both in terms of the cost of the receiver and the monthly fee for DVR service, which virtually all cable and satellite companies charge), so I no longer use a VCR for time shifting. But, even with a DVR, I still use the S-VHS VCR for archiving since DVRs have limited storage capacity and if any problem with the DVR requires you to reset the unit all of the recordings sometimes get erased.

pixelthis
01-07-2009, 12:30 AM
Gee, your so funny and did not help a bit, as usual. Just have to put your wise ass comments everywhere, huh?

If you read my original post you would have noticed that I said nothing about a VHS collection.

What Sony told me is what I already figured out to do before I ever posted or emailed them...set the date to a year with same day/date. Where was your useful suggestion?

Why a DVD recorder? Don't you waste a disk every time you want to record something? All I want to do is record to watch at a later time and then record over it for the next time.

While I am busy contemplating all the new inventions, you may want to learn how to spell the word "Phone".

Thanks for no help.

ANOTHER example of your total cluelessness.
Try to help somebody...

Alright, ONE MORE TIME.
A "phone" is on the wall in your house, a cell fone you keep in your pocket.
YES! I know you find it hard to beleive but they actually have phones that fit in your pocket!
AND NOBODY (not even my mom) calls em "phones".
AS for the DVD thing, yes you "waste a disc everytime you record something...
unless you use a rewritable DVD!!
yes!!! ANOTHER MODERN (since about ten years ago) feat of tech!
DVD +R and -R !!!
and with DVD -r you can edit the disc before you finalize it!
I dont do so(I have a DVR like everybody else) but if I want to record more than two programs (my DVR only handles two) I use a rewritable disc.
You can rewrite them thousands of times, and they will still look better than a VHS
tape.
There is no reason to own VHS.
I used to have two JVC SVHS VCR'S, When I was using the format I went through five SVHS VCRS.
But their time has passed .
At least for me.
After six months of DVD use I rented a copy of what lies beneath on VHS, they were outta the DVD.
It was like watching a movie through a screen door.
240 lines of res, 400 (and a lot of video noise) with SVHS.
I have no intention of "helping" you waste your time with such a outmoded format that has outlived its usfullness.
With DVD I was offering a sensible alternative, one with six hours on a standard
DVD and 12 on a dual disc DVD, with up to 480 lines (at highest bit rate) which can be deinterlaced to 480p.And very little picture artifacts
IF YOU WANT TO REMAIN IN THE EIGHTIES then why did you even ask for help?
I am sure you can find a functioning VCR for 30 to 50 bucks.:1:

Hyfi
01-07-2009, 06:46 AM
ANOTHER example of your total cluelessness.
Try to help somebody...

Sorry I am not as clued in as you. I asked for help with a device clock, I did not ask for your personal feelings on how I should live my life or spend my money, or what your mommy calls a phone.

IF YOU WANT TO REMAIN IN THE EIGHTIES then why did you even ask for help?
I am sure you can find a functioning VCR for 30 to 50 bucks.:1:

I asked for help with a clock, not a rant on how I should be just like you.

I don't just throw out items that work fine. I already mentioned that I figured out how to fake the clock out.

I really don't appreciate your condescending superior tone as to what I should buy, use, and discard. If you would like to point me to a reasonably priced DVR that does not need a paid for service to use, then you may be actually helping.

GMichael
01-07-2009, 07:22 AM
I mentioned that I figured out how to fake the clock out.

Is/was the year you are using a leap year? Something to think about.

Hyfi
01-07-2009, 08:05 AM
Is/was the year you are using a leap year? Something to think about.

I'm good. 2009 is a 365 day year and same as 1998 which is what I set the vcr to. Good question. Here is the link for matching years.

http://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/repeating.html?year=2009&country=1

GMichael
01-07-2009, 08:09 AM
I'm good. 2009 is a 365 day year and same as 1998 which is what I set the vcr to. Good question. Here is the link for matching years.

http://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/repeating.html?year=2009&country=1

Cool, you should be good to go for a long time. Who cares if your VCR doesn't know what year it is? Although, it may not know who shot JR yet. :15:

Rich-n-Texas
01-07-2009, 08:13 AM
Congrats on 10K posts GM. Took ya long enough! :biggrin5:

GMichael
01-07-2009, 08:15 AM
Thanks,
Sorry, it's been busy here. We sell printer parts ya know.

Hyfi
01-07-2009, 08:48 AM
Thanks,
Sorry, it's been busy here. We sell printer parts ya know.

Reminds me of the scene in Office Space where they trash the printer....Die Mother***** Die!

pixelthis
01-07-2009, 11:01 PM
Sorry I am not as clued in as you. I asked for help with a device clock, I did not ask for your personal feelings on how I should live my life or spend my money, or what your mommy calls a phone.

I asked for help with a clock, not a rant on how I should be just like you.

I don't just throw out items that work fine. I already mentioned that I figured out how to fake the clock out.

I really don't appreciate your condescending superior tone as to what I should buy, use, and discard. If you would like to point me to a reasonably priced DVR that does not need a paid for service to use, then you may be actually helping.

a SONY dvd recorder is basically a DVR, except that the DVD disc is the "hard drive",
and is replaceable and in some cases reusable. 145 BUCKS
A VHS vcr puts out video that is sub computer grade, crappy video.
I cant think of any movie I hate enough to subject it to this.
Basically what I am saying is that the rest of the world has moved on.
YOU MIGHT want to think about doing so also.
For instance how many VCR threads do you see on sites like this?
HMMMM?:1: