Energy, Von Schweikert, B&W, NHT [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Energy, Von Schweikert, B&W, NHT

rsxgamer
01-02-2009, 03:12 PM
I'm about to pull my hair out because I'm getting "gun shy" about pulling the trigger on what to get. I have the NHT's right now, but only have them for another 4 days before I have to pay a restocking fee. In all fairness to them, I didn't properly break them in but when comparing to my old Energy C3's, their highs sounded a tad muffled. I should probably give them more of a chance.

What I liked more about the NHT was the midrange, so smart me thinks that a 3-way Energy speaker, the Veritas 2.2i is the way to go because I get an Energy tweeter, plus a 3-way design.

I've read nothing bad about the Von Schweikert VR1's and could buy them solely off of the reviews. As for the B&W, well its a B&W. Someone mentioned them being bright, but I had Klipsch before, so I take that w/a grain of salt.....as I do with everything because we all hear differently and like different source material.

For the record, all will cost me the same +/- $100 so price is no object. Also how much of an advantage does having a dedicated midrange driver make over a 2-way design. I see bookshelf speakers costing over 3k a pair w/only a 2-way design. So do I lend my midrange preference in the NHT to the speaker itself or the fact that it has a dedicated midrange driver????

I'm about 80% HT/PS3/TV. I do listen to music alot, but my listening area is poor, it's not a dedicated audio room, and I don't listen to much jazz, classical, or opera, etc. Should I even be this discriminating of a shopper given my habits and go for Energy RC-10, NHT Classic Two, PSB Image 25, a smaller B&W? I see Paradigm 20's on here all the time. How much do these run?

What I need to do is stop reading these damn forums and just buy something already!!! :) lol

JohnMichael
01-02-2009, 03:42 PM
Tough decision among your choice of speakers. I have heard the Energy Veritas and the NHT speakers at a fairly lengthy audition. I own the Mobile Fidelity OML 1's which is very similar to the VR 1's. I heard the NHT's with Rotel electronics and the MF OML 1's I use with the Onkyo A-9555 int. amp and I do not remeber the electronics for the Energy's.

I like the OML 1's because they are detailed but not hyper detailed. You can listen to them for extended periods of time without fatigue. The NHT's sounded good with well recorded music but I thought could become fatiguing on less well recorded material. The Energy Veritas was my least favorite of the three. I could be happy with any of those three but prefer the OML 1's.

rsxgamer
01-02-2009, 04:31 PM
What did you dislike about the Energy? For my ears, Energy had more forward-sounding tweeters than NHT, so I don't, for me ears, see a fatigue issue w/NHT.

JohnMichael
01-02-2009, 04:41 PM
What did you dislike about the Energy? For my ears, Energy had more forward-sounding tweeters.

The more forward sounding tweeters. I do not like a front row perspective. The NHT's had a very smooth sound for metal drivers. I prefer a quality soft dome tweeter.

blackraven
01-03-2009, 12:45 AM
I prefer the Classic Three's. They are a very smooth speaker with nice bass and a smooth midrange. I thought the tweeter gives a more natural sound than the B&W's. I would never call them bright.

RGA
01-03-2009, 04:32 AM
I'll add two that I would take over all from your list except the Von Sweikert because I have not heard it - I prefer silk domes in this price range as the metal drivers are either bright or don't match to the midwoofer (to my ear anyway).

Audio Note AX Two (big surprise) $700
Wharfedale Diamond Series (less expensive than most on your list but easier to find than the AX Two) and Wharfedale has really rebounded here with an excellent high value for the dollar and a little under the radar speaker.

The thing with these two is they're a little more musical (easier on the ears for long listening and designed for music replay) than the home theater high slam of the B&W's or Energy - I have not liked any NHT I have heard over the years. This is just personal taste mind you but I figure why not add a couple of under the radar selections.

My plan eventually is to buy 3 pairs of AX Twos for a surround sound set-up on the cheap. but I've said that for several years now and never have the inclination to be bothered. One day.

thepogue
01-03-2009, 01:44 PM
I leave the planet for a few years....get beamed back and who the first guy I run into? RGA sellin AN's and Warfs!!...I'll tell ya me friend....you are the truest-bluest guy I know...I'm damn proud of ya son....Last time I seen's ya you was in the "Land of the Morning Calm".....and still schoolin....you must be a docter by now??

Hope all's well wiff you no matter where you are!!! ...me well I'm a Battalion Chief now and too buzy to have more than one hobbie so I'm playing more music then listening these days (wanna check it out go goggle "Distant Towers" I've got a dozon or so songs on a Soundclick page) don't forget to watch the cartoon for the song "Bad Day")....my 27 Levinison's in the shop....got wayyy more LP's then I can listen too...and me wife still hides me bottle now and again...

We'll laddy really great to see you...BTW I found a local AN dealer here in VA Beach...and my audio buds (a few anyway) drop hugh $$$'s on some great AN cables...they love the stuff....I'm still just too damned cheap :p

Nice ta see ya bro...hope your well!!

Peace Pogue

I'll add two that I would take over all from your list except the Von Sweikert because I have not heard it - I prefer silk domes in this price range as the metal drivers are either bright or don't match to the midwoofer (to my ear anyway).

Audio Note AX Two (big surprise) $700
Wharfedale Diamond Series (less expensive than most on your list but easier to find than the AX Two) and Wharfedale has really rebounded here with an excellent high value for the dollar and a little under the radar speaker.

The thing with these two is they're a little more musical (easier on the ears for long listening and designed for music replay) than the home theater high slam of the B&W's or Energy - I have not liked any NHT I have heard over the years. This is just personal taste mind you but I figure why not add a couple of under the radar selections.

My plan eventually is to buy 3 pairs of AX Twos for a surround sound set-up on the cheap. but I've said that for several years now and never have the inclination to be bothered. One day.

Jack in Wilmington
01-03-2009, 03:34 PM
I leave the planet for a few years....get beamed back and who the first guy I run into? RGA sellin AN's and Warfs!!...I'll tell ya me friend....you are the truest-bluest guy I know...I'm damn proud of ya son....Last time I seen's ya you was in the "Land of the Morning Calm".....and still schoolin....you must be a docter by now??

Hope all's well wiff you no matter where you are!!! ...me well I'm a Battalion Chief now and too buzy to have more than one hobbie so I'm playing more music then listening these days (wanna check it out go goggle "Distant Towers" I've got a dozon or so songs on a Soundclick page) don't forget to watch the cartoon for the song "Bad Day")....my 27 Levinison's in the shop....got wayyy more LP's then I can listen too...and me wife still hides me bottle now and again...

We'll laddy really great to see you...BTW I found a local AN dealer here in VA Beach...and my audio buds (a few anyway) drop hugh $$$'s on some great AN cables...they love the stuff....I'm still just too damned cheap :p

Nice ta see ya bro...hope your well!!

Peace Pogue

Hey Pogue, good to hear from you. I see you're still listening to your ML Prod's, when you get the chance. Did you get rid of your Paradigm Studio 100's? Spent a couple weeks in Virginia Beach last summer. It's real nice there. Lots of good eating places. Cheers, Jack

RGA
01-04-2009, 01:27 AM
hey Pogue - it's been awhile. Batalian Chief - does that mean you get to be safe behind a desk?

I'm in China teaching right now - scary huh?

This time it's a real job - teaching Grade 10 English through a British Columbia, Canada run public school. Not a bad way to see the world but it means less time with my gear. Still I'm trying to get some reviews out of headphones and headphone amps - people travelling need not leave good sound at home.

I'd like to review an Audio Note headphone but they're having a tough time miniaturizing their rectangle boxes with a wide baffle to fit around the ears. But when they do...

Cheers,:12: