New Year's Rockin Eve [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New Year's Rockin Eve

3-LockBox
01-02-2009, 12:29 PM
Yeah, we had some guests over and they and my wife wanted to watch this show. I can't stand Ryan Seacrest. But there were some moments of pleasure, particularly Natasha Bedingfield and Solange Knowles (Beyonce's lil sis). Of course there were other acts performing but none I cared for or care to mention. But these two caught my ear because of their retro-soul style. No, they're not completely original, but I do like that this style is making the airwaves. And I'm glad it isn't club or dance music either. Oh, its got a beat and you could dance to it, but it is music for music's sake, or for the sake of the style, but it isn't over-produced - you could play it with a simple four-piece band, and not need a DJ. I heard no scratch mixing, no club/dub beats, nor were there any guest rappers, nor where there any superfilous dancers on stage. Solange was good, and if someone hadn't told me she was Beyonce's sister, I'd have never made the connection. Bedingfield though, is the real deal. She's very much steeped in R&B, albeit the stunning blonde Brit chick ala Dusty Springfield. Much ado is made of that other blonde Brit-soul cutie Duffy, but Bedingfield gots chops, though that is not to suggest she's an over-singer like Beyonce or Mariah.

Hey, its not like I'm going out and buying their CDs, but I like to hear this style of music move to the fore front of pop culture and supplant the pablum that resides there now - female over-singers and whiny, nasally males singers that sound like Tevin Cambell from New Edition, when they're not sounding like a falsetto soaked girlboy like Justin Timberlake.

Hyfi
01-02-2009, 01:03 PM
Yeah, we had some guests over and they and my wife wanted to watch this show. I can't stand Ryan Seacrest. But there were some moments of pleasure, particularly Natasha Bedingfield and Solange Knowles (Beyonce's lil sis). Of course there were other acts performing but none I cared for or care to mention. But these two caught my ear because of their retro-soul style. No, they're not completely original, but I do like that this style is making the airwaves. And I'm glad it isn't club or dance music either. Oh, its got a beat and you could dance to it, but it is music for music's sake, or for the sake of the style, but it isn't over-produced - you could play it with a simple four-piece band, and not need a DJ. I heard no scratch mixing, no club/dub beats, nor were there any guest rappers, nor where there any superfilous dancers on stage. Solange was good, and if someone hadn't told me she was Beyonce's sister, I'd have never made the connection. Bedingfield though, is the real deal. She's very much steeped in R&B, albeit the stunning blonde Brit chick ala Dusty Springfield. Much ado is made of that other blonde Brit-soul cutie Duffy, but Bedingfield gots chops, though that is not to suggest she's an over-singer like Beyonce or Mariah.

Hey, its not like I'm going out and buying their CDs, but I like to hear this style of music move to the fore front of pop culture and supplant the pablum that resides there now - female over-singers and whiny, nasally males singers that sound like Tevin Cambell from New Edition, when they're not sounding like a falsetto soaked girlboy like Justin Timberlake.

I had the shows on but was listening to Porky Tree Deadwing and various Buckethead. Looked like a bunch of faking the instruments on both shows.

ForeverAutumn
01-02-2009, 01:13 PM
That's how I discovered Bedouin Soundclash a few years ago. They played at the NYE celebration in downtown Toronto which we watched on TV and they totally wowed me. I ran out and bought the CD on January 2.

This year we watched the Niagara Falls show with Roger Hodgson and Kim Mitchell and Justin Hines...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bgngckp6UkQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bgngckp6UkQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Finch Platte
01-02-2009, 04:24 PM
Here's what I did in front of a couple of people.

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MLejkyXbJlc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MLejkyXbJlc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

fp

Swish
01-03-2009, 07:39 AM
...and then it was back to our great tunes and DVDs. We partied with about a dozen others at the home of some friends, and we had a blast. I prolly should have skipped that 5th last beer. Here are a few of the cds I played:

Steve Wynn - Crossing Dragon Bridge
Little Beirut - High Dive
For Against - Shade Side Sunny Side
The Bon Mots - le main drag
Darker My Love - 2
Comsat Angels - The Glamour
Rob Dickinson - Fresh Wine For the Horses
Tom Verlaine - The Miller's Tale (anthology)
X - Beyond and Back (anthology)

3-LockBox
01-03-2009, 03:32 PM
We did listen to some cool toonage as well. I played (all from this year) :

Throw Me The Statue-Moonbeam
Sleeper Car-West Texas
The Sea And Cake-Car Alarm
Old '97s-Blame It On Gravity
It Bites-The Tall Ships

and the album I got the most positive feedback from...It Bites

Worf101
01-05-2009, 06:09 AM
That's how I discovered Bedouin Soundclash a few years ago. They played at the NYE celebration in downtown Toronto which we watched on TV and they totally wowed me. I ran out and bought the CD on January 2.

This year we watched the Niagara Falls show with Roger Hodgson and Kim Mitchell and Justin Hines...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bgngckp6UkQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bgngckp6UkQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Gee, Thanks, Just what I need. Wiping away tears here at work on a Monday mornding. Dammit...

Da Worfster

ForeverAutumn
01-05-2009, 06:16 AM
Gee, Thanks, Just what I need. Wiping away tears here at work on a Monday mornding. Dammit...

Da Worfster

His songs are kind of hokey, but I just love his voice.

GMichael
01-05-2009, 06:22 AM
I felt so sorry for Dick Clark. What a trooper to get up their in front of millions and do his best.