finally saw the latest X-Files movie [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : finally saw the latest X-Files movie

3-LockBox
01-02-2009, 02:05 AM
and it was good, but mostly as a good double episode of the TV show, and not so much a stand alone movie. Being an Xfiles movie, suspension of disbelief is an automatic - you don't go into an X-files movie as a skeptic by now, and if you do, what the hell are you watching it for? But the subject matter here doesn't seem big screen worthy, at least not in modern times, as it isn't very original either.

The stroyline prolly coulda been played out as a non-Xfiles movie, but as far as the characters go, the writers assume familiarity, so a first timer will be confused as hell. I sorta skipped out on the last couple of seasons of the X-files, so some aspects of the Scully/Mulder relationship caught me by surprise. Some of the periferral characters weren't very well fleshed out and this wasn't the usual conspiracy fest that the first X-files movie and series was, which is a shame, because there is also a lack of palpable paranoia/fear that made the series so gripping. They tried to lure the viewer into thinking it was...

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!! read no further!
just a movie about black market human organ snatchers, but even the most casual X-filer knows better, expects a twist, and when its revealed that they're trying to do head transplants, or body transplants if you prefer, for some dude, and its never explained how or why or given a viable motive, I was left scratching my head. The so-called scientist/surgeons speak only in Russian and seem to act like nothing's out of the ordinary, as if they're surprised to find anyone objecting to the Frankenstienish procedings. I was less than impressed with the twist - very banal and too straight forward to me. Again, the lack of conspiracy and paranoia of the original show makes this plot rather ordinary. The psychic dude in this episode seem misused and underdeveloped, as his relationship to the perps is hinted at, but never really connected. They try to flesh this character out, but they fail to make him very compelling (and isn't using an Irish actor to portray an excommunicated catholic/psychic priest a tad cliche?;)). And of course, seasoned FBI agent Fox Mulder still acts infuriatingly stupid as he bumbles his way into trouble, needing rescuing - I hate such plot devices. There was a few moments of good drama and tension here and there, but for the most part, the main story ends anti-climactically. There was a secondary theme concerning faith that was touched upon, but only superficially explored. At least twice Scully expresses being remiss for having to peer into 'the darkness' again, and says she's tired of it. Mulder seems tired of it too, as does David Duchovny, the guy playing Mulder. Same with Gillian Anderson (Scully). Maybe they should be left alone in the future, as this case didn't really seem to warrant their presence, and their characters come acrossed as, well...tired.

I'd say that this movie might be a treat for fans of the old series, but hardly sequel inducing. When this show was in its original run, it was the creepiest, most intelligent show on TV...in its day. But for ardent fans of the show, its too predictable and uninspired in its attempts to be unpredictable...fans are too used to expecting some big, clever surprise, and you can only be so clever for so long. Its a show/movie that's seen its time come and go. I wanted to believe, but ultimately couldn't.

Rich-n-Texas
01-06-2009, 05:41 AM
I was a big fan of the TV series, and the first movie was good, but yeah I was dissappointed when I watched this one. I think the conclusion I come up with is... you can't beat a dead horse. Or... let the sleeping dog lie.