Connect Amp directly to TV variable out? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Connect Amp directly to TV variable out?

JeffKnob
01-01-2009, 12:42 PM
If a TV of mine has a variable rca output, can I simply connect a power amp, not a receiver, to it and use the TV volume control to adjust the volume? Will this provide the right kind of input the amp is needing?

Thanks.

Ajani
01-01-2009, 01:00 PM
yep... that would work fine.... But why would you want to do that?

JeffKnob
01-01-2009, 01:22 PM
It would enable me to add a pair of speakers to a TV to upgrade the sound.

Mr Peabody
01-01-2009, 07:44 PM
Keep in mind though you will be using the TV's preamp section which typically don't sound all that great. But depending on the brand and model many do offer bass/treble.

02audionoob
01-01-2009, 07:49 PM
The AudioSource AMP 100 has a volume control...in case you want one. It's inexpensive and sounds pretty decent.

sphaera
01-25-2009, 04:30 PM
This is little off-topic but...

I prefer to use my Mac computer to store and play my music.

I output through a pair of Yamaha NS10M speakers.

In between is a Sony STR DA1000ES receiver. It is a fine machine, but I am minimalist by nature, and find it to be too large, to have too many bells a whistles and to be inconvenient to operate.

I would prefer a Cambridge Audio 340A Integrated Amplifier (or 540a).

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/summary.php?PID=11&Title=Azur%20340A%20integrated%20amplifier

Cool if you like simple.

But before I comment to the integrated amp, I would like some follow-up on the topic question.

As all of my audio emanates from my computer (I use no peripherals) and as I am content to control the volume and EQ from the computer, is it possible to connect the computer line out directly to a power amp like the AudioSource AMP 100 (or other power amps)?

I had previously thought that connecting the computer directly to a power amp would cause it to bust into flame, that a preamp was a necessity.

Mr Peabody
01-25-2009, 04:49 PM
You shouldn't have any problem connecting the computer straight to the power amp. The only reason you would need the preamp section is to do what you already do with the computer, control volume etc. The only thing is I'm not sure what a computer's output voltage or impedance might be. This won't hurt anything it's just the computer would drive the amp better with a minimum of 2 volts.

If anyone wanted a little integrated I saw an Arcam Alpha One for cheap on Audiogon. It sold new for only $400.00 and I believe only 40x2. It can drive some difficult speakers though.

Ajani
01-25-2009, 04:58 PM
This is little off-topic but...

I prefer to use my Mac computer to store and play my music.

I output through a pair of Yamaha NS10M speakers.

In between is a Sony STR DA1000ES receiver. It is a fine machine, but I am minimalist by nature, and find it to be too large, to have too many bells a whistles and to be inconvenient to operate.

I would prefer a Cambridge Audio 340A Integrated Amplifier (or 540a).

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/summary.php?PID=11&Title=Azur%20340A%20integrated%20amplifier

Cool if you like simple.

But before I comment to the integrated amp, I would like some follow-up on the topic question.

As all of my audio emanates from my computer (I use no peripherals) and as I am content to control the volume and EQ from the computer, is it possible to connect the computer line out directly to a power amp like the AudioSource AMP 100 (or other power amps)?

I had previously thought that connecting the computer directly to a power amp would cause it to bust into flame, that a preamp was a necessity.

I've done exactly that with a MAC Mini, connected directly to the power amp input of a NAD C352 and later to a Rotel RB-1080 Power Amp... it can be done with no issues... I preferred to use my Rotel RC-1070 Pre Amp though (as I already had it and I needed more than one input as I also had a CD and DVD player)...

Kevio
01-25-2009, 08:54 PM
Ideally, you should choose an amplifier with input level trim. Without trim, your volume setting from the computer may be fussy.

sphaera
01-26-2009, 06:57 AM
Interesting and helpful information.

I hope this discussion has benefitted the originator of the topic as much as it has helped me.

I will hold off replacing my Sony STR DA1000ES receiver with a Cambridge Audio 340A Integrated Amplifier for a while longer while I investigate stand-alone power amps.

Let’s see... A smallish, silver, cleanly designed, inexpensive, quality audio power amplifier with volume control. That should be easy enough to find : )

Thank you.