Happy New Year everyone! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Happy New Year everyone!

ForeverAutumn
12-31-2008, 05:49 AM
I wish everyone a happy New Year. I hope that 2009 brings us all good times, happy lives and, of course, great music.

Play safe tonight!

Hyfi
12-31-2008, 06:19 AM
Back at ya FA! It has been a good year and should continue.

What movie did you see on the 25th?

ForeverAutumn
12-31-2008, 06:41 AM
Back at ya FA! It has been a good year and should continue.

What movie did you see on the 25th?

We ended up going to my (other) brother's house and watched Tropic Thunder and Get Smart on Bluray. I enjoyed Get Smart, Tropic Thunder...not so much.

Swish
12-31-2008, 07:16 AM
How could it be worse?! Well, I do have my health and the good health of my family and close friends, so that could be worse, but my retirement is looking to be a very distant goal right now.

As for movies, do yourself a favor and see Slumdog Millionaire. It's very different and very entertaining. The basic story is about a young Indian dude who is a contestant on India's version of 'Who Wants to be a Millionaire". It will be among the top 2 or 3 movies of 2008, or at least it should be. I'd give it maybe an 8.5 out of 10, and I'm a tough nugget when it comes to handing out high ratings. I think it gets a bit outlandish at times, especially near the end, but it remains grounded in reality. Good stuff!

Worf101
12-31-2008, 07:50 AM
Of course its snowing it's ASS off here right now. Wow, weather was WICKED this holiday season. My lead quitarist who owns Parkway Music in Clifton Park took a beating. First the ice storm two Saturdays before Christmas (no power of 4 whole days) then the snow storm the weekend before Christmas... yipes, all this on top of a bad economy to begin with. Sigh... sometimes I just have to count my blessings.

Da Worfster

Finch Platte
12-31-2008, 08:22 AM
We ended up going to my (other) brother's house and watched Tropic Thunder and Get Smart on Bluray. I enjoyed Get Smart, Tropic Thunder...not so much.

This is bizarre, but the other day, I rented the exact same movies from a kiosk at the grocery store! :eek6: Weird, huh?

I watched Get Smart & was deeply disappointed. I had read the reviews and knew it was bad, but there was virtually no humor in the damn thing! I'm a huge fan of the series, and I can't believe Buck Henry & Mel Brooks allowed their names on the credits (as consultants, but still...). Did anyone else notice the actor who played Siegfried in a brief cameo? I was also stunned by the amount of makeup Anne Hathaway caked on as Agent 99. It distracted me everytime she was onscreen. Gross.

Tropic Thunder, hmm. I was underwhelmed by this, too, but enjoyed it more than Get Smart. Mainly because it kicked all the dust out of my subwoofer! Wow- what sound effects. And when TC was dancing at the end- that's as low as it goes, my sub was flappin' like a pirate flag.

The plot? Meh, but it's watchable again just to try to understand what Robert Downey's character was saying. Man, there's a lot of lines I missed. :arf: And if you rent it, be sure to watch the extras- when Jack Black is "tied" to the tree, he goes on & on & on & on on & on & on & on on & on & on & on on & on & on & on on & on & on & on on & on & on & on on & on & on & on on & on & on & on on & on & on & on on & on & on & on on & on & on & on.

fp