Finally! New TV on the way!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Finally! New TV on the way!!

Duds
12-31-2008, 05:37 AM
Finally pulled the trigger on a Pioneer 5020 last night, will be delivered and set up next week. Merry christmas to me!!

Worf101
12-31-2008, 07:42 AM
Not familiar with the Model. Why that one? What else did you look at? Plasma or LCD? What room you gonna stick it in? what HT system are you currently runnin?

I expect to see pics when it's ensconsed as well. :wink5:

Congrats...

Da Worfster

Duds
12-31-2008, 07:48 AM
its the 50 inch non-Elite Kuro model. I've been reading and researching tvs for about 3 years now, and the Pioneer Kuro's are always highly regarded. It also looked the best to my eyes when i went to look at them. I debated getting the Pioneer Pro-111 Elite version, but didnt want to spend the extra grand, especially in this economy and the fact that the company I work for will most likely have lay-offs in a few weeks for the third consecutive year. I just cant look at an LCD tv, they look fake to me.

It's going in the living room, will be paired up with a Marantz receiver, a denon universal player, and Von Schweikert VR-1 speakers. Will probably add a blu-ray player down the road just for the hell of it, even though I'm not a movie guy.

Thanks man!

Not familiar with the Model. Why that one? What else did you look at? Plasma or LCD? What room you gonna stick it in? what HT system are you currently runnin?

I expect to see pics when it's ensconsed as well. :wink5:

Congrats...

Da Worfster

Worf101
12-31-2008, 10:47 AM
its the 50 inch non-Elite Kuro model. I've been reading and researching tvs for about 3 years now, and the Pioneer Kuro's are always highly regarded. It also looked the best to my eyes when i went to look at them. I debated getting the Pioneer Pro-111 Elite version, but didnt want to spend the extra grand, especially in this economy and the fact that the company I work for will most likely have lay-offs in a few weeks for the third consecutive year. I just cant look at an LCD tv, they look fake to me.

It's going in the living room, will be paired up with a Marantz receiver, a denon universal player, and Von Schweikert VR-1 speakers. Will probably add a blu-ray player down the road just for the hell of it, even though I'm not a movie guy.

Thanks man!
Von Schweikerts!!! Wow, one of my fave speakers. Never could afford em though, not even used. Nice set up you've got there... You will find though, that with a nice Big Screen, you'll be watching movies more and more. Particularly if you go Blu-Ray or get a good up-converting player. My ole lady thought the 52-inch Samsung (my first NEW TV in about 25 years) was an extravagance. Now it's all Oprah in High Def and Food Channel in Hi Def.... Pheh....

Congrats and keep us posted.

Da Worfster

Duds
12-31-2008, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the compliments!! by the way, i got my Von Schweikerts brand new for $600 a pair, and the VS stands for $100. love those speakers!!

i am guessing you will be right about watching more movies! i am psyched though, i've been wanting a new tv for about 4 years now

Von Schweikerts!!! Wow, one of my fave speakers. Never could afford em though, not even used. Nice set up you've got there... You will find though, that with a nice Big Screen, you'll be watching movies more and more. Particularly if you go Blu-Ray or get a good up-converting player. My ole lady thought the 52-inch Samsung (my first NEW TV in about 25 years) was an extravagance. Now it's all Oprah in High Def and Food Channel in Hi Def.... Pheh....

Congrats and keep us posted.

Da Worfster

GMichael
12-31-2008, 10:57 AM
Great new toy. Nice system too.
Enjoy it and be safe for the new year.

Duds
12-31-2008, 11:02 AM
thanks man, you too!!

by the way, does anyone know if the denon 2910 upconverts? I guess I could always do some searching, lol

Great new toy. Nice system too.
Enjoy it and be safe for the new year.

Woochifer
12-31-2008, 02:33 PM
Nice! You got one of the last plasma sets made with an actual Pioneer panel (Panasonic takes over the plasma panel manufacturing on the Kuros starting next year). I also had my eye on the Pio Elites because of the built-in ISF calibration mode, but with a toddler at home and the uncertain economy, the price got to be way out of my range.

thanks man, you too!!

by the way, does anyone know if the denon 2910 upconverts? I guess I could always do some searching, lol

Yeah, no kidding do your own search! :D

I was also looking at that Denon model, but decided against it because it lacked bass management for CD playback and channel delay on SACDs. That Denon will upscale the image up to 1080p over a HDMI connection.

http://usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/228.asp

But, considering that Pioneer builds high quality deinterlacers and scalers into their TVs, you might want to try running a 480i signal from the DVD player (if you can) and let the TV handle the deinterlacing and upscaling. Compare the picture you get from the TV and DVD player handling the deinterlacing and upscaling, and just go with what you like best. Both the Pio and Denon include very high quality video processing, so you'll do fine either way.

With my Panny, I've found that the deinterlacing and upscaling while playing DVDs on a PS3 is superior to the TV's built-in video processors. But, with my Directv HD DVR, I found that it's better to let the TV do all of the deinterlacing and scaling with non-HD channels, so I run 480i from the satellite receiver even though that box is capable of upconverting to 480p/720p/1080i.

RoadRunner6
12-31-2008, 05:14 PM
Congrats Duds! Great display with very nice speakers. Let us know your impressions once you fire it up.

After you hook up a top Blu-Ray player you're going to be a movie guy! Good words below on deinterlacing and upscaling by Wooch.

RR6 :thumbsup:

Duds
01-02-2009, 04:58 AM
Thanks for the info Wooch!!

I thought Pioneer would only be using Panny glass, but would still be making the rest next year?

The Pioneer Elites are absolutely sick tvs....but in the end i just couldnt justify one. The 5020 will be more than enough for my eyes.

Nice! You got one of the last plasma sets made with an actual Pioneer panel (Panasonic takes over the plasma panel manufacturing on the Kuros starting next year). I also had my eye on the Pio Elites because of the built-in ISF calibration mode, but with a toddler at home and the uncertain economy, the price got to be way out of my range.

Yeah, no kidding do your own search! :D

I was also looking at that Denon model, but decided against it because it lacked bass management for CD playback and channel delay on SACDs. That Denon will upscale the image up to 1080p over a HDMI connection.

http://usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/228.asp

But, considering that Pioneer builds high quality deinterlacers and scalers into their TVs, you might want to try running a 480i signal from the DVD player (if you can) and let the TV handle the deinterlacing and upscaling. Compare the picture you get from the TV and DVD player handling the deinterlacing and upscaling, and just go with what you like best. Both the Pio and Denon include very high quality video processing, so you'll do fine either way.

With my Panny, I've found that the deinterlacing and upscaling while playing DVDs on a PS3 is superior to the TV's built-in video processors. But, with my Directv HD DVR, I found that it's better to let the TV do all of the deinterlacing and scaling with non-HD channels, so I run 480i from the satellite receiver even though that box is capable of upconverting to 480p/720p/1080i.

Duds
01-02-2009, 04:59 AM
Thank you sir!

Congrats Duds! Great display with very nice speakers. Let us know your impressions once you fire it up.

After you hook up a top Blu-Ray player you're going to be a movie guy! Good words below on deinterlacing and upscaling by Wooch.

Worf101
01-02-2009, 08:17 AM
One set of Von's on sale on the bay right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Von-Schweikert-VR-7SE-Reference-Speakers_W0QQitemZ250336088836QQihZ015QQcategoryZ3 276QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And he's looking for 17 large for unsold inventory. God if I only had money.

Da Worfster

Woochifer
01-02-2009, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the info Wooch!!

I thought Pioneer would only be using Panny glass, but would still be making the rest next year?

Not yet. This year's models still use Pioneer panels. The production changeover to Panny panels will occur after the new sets get introduced at CES next week. Pioneer's plasma issues had nothing to do with performance or reliability (given that Pioneer is at or near the top of the market in both areas), but rather production efficiency. With Pioneer's production process, they can only cut one panel per glass sheet, whereas Panasonic and Samsung are able to cut multiple panels (I believe 8 or 9) from a single sheet, which significantly reduces costs. Pioneer's engineers have been working at Panny's production plants for nearly a year ramping up for the transition.

The Pioneer Elites are absolutely sick tvs....but in the end i just couldnt justify one. The 5020 will be more than enough for my eyes.

Considering that the standard Pioneer models basically use last year's Elite model tech, that's more than good enough. In a Home Theater magazine comparison test earlier this year, one of last year's Elite models still came out on top, even though it was the only non-1080p TV in the comparison. And this year's Elite models are the highest rated HDTVs on the market.

Panasonic and Samsung have closed the gap considerably, but Pioneer still has the edge on other plasmas and all LCD TVs on the market.

f0rge
01-02-2009, 11:23 AM
that is a sweet-ass TV. congrats man.

Duds
01-02-2009, 11:59 AM
Thanks!!

that is a sweet-ass TV. congrats man.

pixelthis
01-03-2009, 10:09 PM
One set of Von's on sale on the bay right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Von-Schweikert-VR-7SE-Reference-Speakers_W0QQitemZ250336088836QQihZ015QQcategoryZ3 276QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And he's looking for 17 large for unsold inventory. God if I only had money.

Da Worfster

QUITE a bargain considering the original price was 65,000$
JEEZ,
Are the speaker cones made from the hair of virgins or something?:1:

Worf101
01-05-2009, 05:58 AM
QUITE a bargain considering the original price was 65,000$
JEEZ,
Are the speaker cones made from the hair of virgins or something?:1:
And that's just for starters. You couldn't run those babies on your Onkyo 606 or even 906. You'd have to get some serious separates to give those puppies enough juice to run. Being in New York I'd have to had 8.75 on top plus shipping. Sigh, guess honesty don't pay... you'd need Madoff money for them suckahs.

Da Worfster

pixelthis
01-05-2009, 10:40 PM
And that's just for starters. You couldn't run those babies on your Onkyo 606 or even 906. You'd have to get some serious separates to give those puppies enough juice to run. Being in New York I'd have to had 8.75 on top plus shipping. Sigh, guess honesty don't pay... you'd need Madoff money for them suckahs.

Da Worfster

having your own nuke reactor would help.
THE last blackout was probably from a pair of these.:1:

Duds
01-06-2009, 06:01 AM
5020 was delivered yesterday!!! didnt watch much tv on it though, but what i did watch looked freakin amazing. Running some break in images on it while I am at work. Its not necessary but I might as well run it while I am at work so I can get to the optimum picture sooner.

Duds
01-12-2009, 07:07 AM
This is an amazing tv. The football games this weekend were incredible, golf on the HD Golf Channel is unbelievable!!!

Saturday night Ice Age The Meltdown was on some hi-def cable channel, i couldnt believe what I was seeing!! This tv, along with a blu-ray player is going to make a movie watcher out of me!!!

Woochifer
01-12-2009, 04:03 PM
This is an amazing tv. The football games this weekend were incredible, golf on the HD Golf Channel is unbelievable!!!

Congrats, sounds like you're having a great time with the new TV. So what do you think of the difference between CBS (1080i) and Fox (720p)? While I like the smoother motion on 720p, it seems that most of the time whenever I watch football games on Fox or ESPN, it looks fuzzier than CBS or NBC.

Duds
01-13-2009, 05:12 AM
Funny you bring that question up. On Saturdays games, I defintely thought Fox had the better broadcast, but that could have been due to the weather in the Tennessee game. Sundays games i couldnt tell a difference really, they both looked awesome.

The blacks in the uniforms of the panthers and the steelers were freakin BLACK!!! lol.

I am such an idiot for waiting so long to buy a new TV!!!

Congrats, sounds like you're having a great time with the new TV. So what do you think of the difference between CBS (1080i) and Fox (720p)? While I like the smoother motion on 720p, it seems that most of the time whenever I watch football games on Fox or ESPN, it looks fuzzier than CBS or NBC.

Worf101
01-13-2009, 06:03 AM
Yeah, live sports, particularly football and Hockey, benefit the most from HD if you ask me. I rarely look and see if they're broadcasting at 1080i or 720p, I usually just sit there drooling. Welcome to the club and I'm glad you got her just in time for the playoffs.

Da Worfster

pixelthis
01-13-2009, 11:29 PM
Funny you bring that question up. On Saturdays games, I defintely thought Fox had the better broadcast, but that could have been due to the weather in the Tennessee game. Sundays games i couldnt tell a difference really, they both looked awesome.

The blacks in the uniforms of the panthers and the steelers were freakin BLACK!!! lol.

Right about the "idiot " part anyway:1:

pixelthis
01-13-2009, 11:33 PM
So the blacks were "freakin black".
What about the white folks.
How white were they:1:

Worf101
01-14-2009, 05:55 AM
That's NOT what he was saying. I trust you know this and that your comment was just a "bad" joke? :frown2:

Da Worfster

Duds
01-14-2009, 08:21 AM
hmm, who's the real idiot?

Duds
01-14-2009, 08:39 AM
you wouldnt know what deep blacks are because they probably look green on your sh*tzio...

RoadRunner6
01-14-2009, 03:33 PM

Yeah, but your a damn smart idiot. When you finally did pull the trigger you got one of the very best and at a good price. Just enjoy it now. You couldn't have done any better. You'll be happy with that display for a long time.

Duds
01-15-2009, 05:49 AM
Thanks man!!!

Yeah, but your a damn smart idiot. When you finally did pull the trigger you got one of the very best and at a good price. Just enjoy it now. You couldn't have done any better. You'll be happy with that display for a long time.

pixelthis
01-15-2009, 04:13 PM
That's NOT what he was saying. I trust you know this and that your comment was just a "bad" joke? :frown2:

Da Worfster

ACTUALLY I thought it was a rather good one.
Lighten up, DUD rides me so much out here that it is obligitory that I ride HIM back sometimes.:1:

pixelthis
01-15-2009, 04:14 PM
hmm, who's the real idiot?

Well you say that and leave yourself open so...HMMMM...
lets see...
NAH, TOO EASY:1:

pixelthis
01-15-2009, 04:16 PM

I DOUBT IT.
By buying a plasma DUDS has pretty much confirmed my opinion of his IQ.:1:

Duds
01-16-2009, 05:19 AM
This coming from a guy who buys his TV's at Walmart....

I DOUBT IT.

pixelthis
01-16-2009, 03:41 PM
This coming from a guy who buys his TV's at Walmart....

Which owns sams.
Which recently gave a friend a 1800 store credit...
ON A THREE YEAR OLD TV.
Walmart sells me prescriptions for 4.00 bucks a pop, always have been good in my relations with them.
Whenever a company does good by me I DO BUSINESS WITH THEM.
I can see you having trouble with them tho.
Or anybody considering your attitude:1:

Duds
01-19-2009, 08:40 AM
oh yeah, the vizio youre friend supposedly "dropped".....good one trixie....

Which owns sams.
Which recently gave a friend a 1800 store credit...
ON A THREE YEAR OLD TV.
Walmart sells me prescriptions for 4.00 bucks a pop, always have been good in my relations with them.
Whenever a company does good by me I DO BUSINESS WITH THEM.
I can see you having trouble with them tho.
Or anybody considering your attitude:1:

Duds
01-19-2009, 08:49 AM
Dixie - Dont be jealous because you own the Yugo of TV's

I DOUBT IT.

pixelthis
01-19-2009, 03:09 PM
Dixie - Dont be jealous because you own the Yugo of TV's

THANX.
AND you dont feel bad while watching a movie with your favorite video game overlayed on it, or when you get a 2700$ breakdown like groundbeef did:1:

Duds
01-20-2009, 05:29 AM
Considering I dont play video games, i dont have to worry about that. And considering we are in 2009, thats a non-issue these days.

have fun watching blurred fast action on your ****zio with the whites cranked up so high they blind you

THANX.
AND you dont feel bad while watching a movie with your favorite video game overlayed on it, or when you get a 2700$ breakdown like groundbeef did:1:

Groundbeef
01-20-2009, 01:34 PM
THANX.

1. The plasma that died was 4 years old. And it wasn't leaking "gas" it had a bum circuit board. It was replaced under warrenty, and I got a better, more expenisve larger plasma, and it is working quite well.

2. I play games all the time on my plasmas. There is no more a burn in risk playing a game, than there is watching TV. Furthermore, in the 5 years I have owned 2 plasmas, I have never had an image problem from either my XBOX, XBOX360, or more recently Wii with my kids.

pixelthis
01-20-2009, 10:56 PM
1. The plasma that died was 4 years old. And it wasn't leaking "gas" it had a bum circuit board. It was replaced under warrenty, and I got a better, more expenisve larger plasma, and it is working quite well.

2. I play games all the time on my plasmas. There is no more a burn in risk playing a game, than there is watching TV. Furthermore, in the 5 years I have owned 2 plasmas, I have never had an image problem from either my XBOX, XBOX360, or more recently Wii with my kids.

No, they TOLD you it was a "burnt" circuit board.
Even if it was a burnt board that just plays to plasmas needing 30,000 VOLTS TO PRODUCE A "PLASMA".
But I bet it was the tube, and I bet they would blame it on anything but
the tube, teh failure rate for circuits these days is very small.:1:

Groundbeef
01-21-2009, 03:29 AM
No, they TOLD you it was a "burnt" circuit board.
Even if it was a burnt board that just plays to plasmas needing 30,000 VOLTS TO PRODUCE A "PLASMA".
But I bet it was the tube, and I bet they would blame it on anything but
the tube, teh failure rate for circuits these days is very small.:1:

How much tinfoil do you go through in a day? Why do you insist on making baseless speculation as to the failure of my T.V.?

It was a burnt out circuit board.

And it was on a 4 year old T.V. That is almost 3 years longer than you keep your T.V's anyways.

pixelthis
01-21-2009, 11:04 PM
How much tinfoil do you go through in a day? Why do you insist on making baseless speculation as to the failure of my T.V.?

It was a burnt out circuit board.

And it was on a 4 year old T.V. That is almost 3 years longer than you keep your T.V's anyways.

My apologies, you are totally right, a 2700$ failure on a four year old TV IS
totally apro-pro.
GO BACK TO YOUR PLASMA FANBOY universe and enjoy your new one.
While it lasts.:1:

Duds
01-23-2009, 05:09 AM
Ok there LCD fanboy...

totally apro-pro.

Groundbeef
01-23-2009, 10:10 AM
Ok there LCD fanboy...

He's the kind of customer that companies love to have review their products. Non-objective, and willing to belive any fantasy BS they use on their in-store Wal-Mart display.

He probably uses a Sham-WOW to clean the screen every other day with OXY-Clean.

Groundbeef
01-23-2009, 10:13 AM
totally apro-pro.

I enjoy it every day. Thanks for your response. Well reasoned, and thought out as usual.

Screefer
01-25-2009, 04:20 PM
Congrats on the new TV. Should make for an amazing system!