Bought Pan Blu-Ray BD55 Can Anyone Help Me With Settings BD 35 settings OK too [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Bought Pan Blu-Ray BD55 Can Anyone Help Me With Settings BD 35 settings OK too

EdwardGein
12-30-2008, 11:29 PM
My Panasonic BD 55 arrived today and looks like you guys know what you're talking about in regards to Blu-Ray. I only got to watch for 5 minutes or so (Batman Dark Knight Returns) and there did seem to be a Night and Day improvement in the audio sound unless Dark Knight has exceptional audio to begin with. The picture was very good and honestly better than what I had before which was excellent but not worth the $350 + another $80 I spent in accessories (3 pairs of analog Acoustic Research cables plus Nexxtech 6' HDMI Cable) but coupled with what I think is a fantastic sound improvement in my 5 minute sampling, it was worth the price. I'll give a more extensive update review tomorrow after I watch 2 Blu-Ray movies & a standard one.

One thing I can use anyones help on if they have either the BD 35 or 55 is to please let me know your settings as I'd like to use them and adjust them as needed. Would really appreciate it and be happy to send you a free CD or something for your time.

It took me hours to set up the BD 55 right using analog cable for audio & here's why- if this helps anyone in a similar position, great, As my Denon 3801 receiver doesn't have an HDMI, I had to connect by 5.1/7.1 analog cable set up. I couldn't really figure out where to put the cables and when I did, I didn't get sound out of my rear speakers or sub. I spent 2 hours doing every stupid permutation and nothing worked & was ready to throw in the towel and pay someone to do it for me. Then after I reread Denon's instructions for the 4th time I caught what I missed hidden on page 47, ha ha. Specifically I had to press "External input In and put all the analog cables in the external In inputs (I had done that several times but didn't even notice after 5 years with this receiver that there was an external in button and how to use it). Voila, I had full sound. Unfortunately, it was near 11PM and I live in an apartment and I didn't have the balls to play it at that time and piss off my neighbors. So I'll be watching Dark Knight and Firefly the Series (never saw any episodes) tomorrow as well as an old Hammer Horror movie in the morning and afternoon. I'll give a more extensive review of how it plays tomorrow

I'm actually going to call Panasonic up tommorow as I am totally confused about which option gives me the best sound reading their instructions- an optical connection or a 5.1 analog connection. It's a bit confusing. For some reason I thought the analog connection gives you the best sound but after reading the instructions I'm a bit confused.

N. Abstentia
12-31-2008, 10:28 AM
I'm actually going to call Panasonic up tommorow as I am totally confused about which option gives me the best sound reading their instructions- an optical connection or a 5.1 analog connection. It's a bit confusing. For some reason I thought the analog connection gives you the best sound but after reading the instructions I'm a bit confused.

Analog. You can't get True-HD or DTS-HD via optical.

EdwardGein
12-31-2008, 11:27 AM
Analog as you said. I called up Panasonic Customer Support who was very helpful and helped me with the settings for my Analog connection. I'm actually going to put up a Blog on the info as a shortcut.. If anyone needs any info on the analog setup for the BD 55, feel free to ask. The most confusing thing in the instruction manual for me was if I have a 7.1 receiver but only use 5 speakers & a sub, do I use their 7.1 or 5.1 receiver mode in the set up- 5.1 mode.

N. Abstentia
12-31-2008, 01:29 PM
The most confusing thing in the instruction manual for me was if I have a 7.1 receiver but only use 5 speakers & a sub, do I use their 7.1 or 5.1 receiver mode in the set up- 5.1 mode.

Well, 5 speakers and a sub is....5.1 so I'd probably use the 5.1 mode.

Mr Peabody
12-31-2008, 07:14 PM
I agree, use 5.1, that is telling the unit you only have a 5.1 set up and it will decode and send the info the the 5.1 outputs accordingly.