Seven Pounds [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Seven Pounds

ForeverAutumn
12-30-2008, 06:16 AM
Hubby and I saw Seven Pounds last night. I think that this movie is supposed to be one of those movies that unravels into a surprise ending. I had the basic story figured out within the first 20 minutes. There were a few tweaks to my theory along the way, but overall it was pretty predictable I thought.

I can't talk much about the storyline without giving anything away so this can't be much of a review. But I will say that the acting in this movie is very good. Even though I could see where the movie was heading, I still enjoyed the ride to get there. And I was touched by the ending; although somewhat hokey and expected, Rosario Dawson was excellent and really made me sympathize with her.

My recommendation? I wouldn't say that this is a "must see", but it's definately worth seeing. It's a really good renter but maybe not something worth paying full theatre ticket price for (IMO).

Tonight we're planning on seeing The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

GMichael
12-30-2008, 06:22 AM
Hubby and I saw Seven Pounds last night. I think that this movie is supposed to be one of those movies that unravels into a surprise ending. I had the basic story figured out within the first 20 minutes. There were a few tweaks to my theory along the way, but overall it was pretty predictable I thought.

I can't talk much about the storyline without giving anything away so this can't be much of a review. But I will say that the acting in this movie is very good. Even though I could see where the movie was heading, I still enjoyed the ride to get there. And I was touched by the ending; although somewhat hokey and expected, Rosario Dawson was excellent and really made me sympathize with her.

My recommendation? I wouldn't say that this is a "must see", but it's definately worth seeing. It's a really good renter but maybe not something worth paying full theatre ticket price for (IMO).

Thanks. Maybe we'll wait for it to come to HBO.

Tonight we're planning on seeing The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

Please leave that gun at home.

kexodusc
12-30-2008, 06:28 AM
FA, we saw it last week and you pretty much summed up my thoughts...wife and I had the basic gist of it figured out by 20 minutes in or so, but it was still compelling enough to watch, and was well executed. Not a bad movie at all.

Also saw that Marley and Me movie earlier this week...any dog lover has to see that. Might be rental material, but a solid 2 hrs.

We were thinking about Benjamin Button but 3 hrs in movie theater is more than I can bear right now so we thought better of it...and if by chance it does suck, that's a loooong time to be stuck there. Let me know how it is though, might catch it when I'm feeling better.

ForeverAutumn
12-30-2008, 06:36 AM
I'll keep you posted on Ben Button. Three hours is a long time and we would usually wait to rent something that long, but we have movie passes that expire today, so we're trying to get them used up.

Worf101
12-30-2008, 08:33 AM
I took my son (Los Knuckleheados) and his sweet and nice girlfriend (she tracked him down, don't ask me) to see BB last Sunday. He said it kept him so engrossed that "they barely made out". I don't know if this qualifies as a compliment to the film or a testiment to my son's ineptitude at romance... Film at 11:00.

Da Worfster

Worf101
12-30-2008, 08:37 AM
For those who think I'm making this up.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v366/Worf101/Ranger%20School%20July%2008/MeandtheKnucklehead.jpg

Nothing like a little strangulation to promote family bonding...

Da Worfster

ForeverAutumn
12-30-2008, 12:56 PM
Looks like a real nice Homer Simpson moment there. :lol:

kexodusc
12-30-2008, 02:04 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v366/Worf101/Ranger%20School%20July%2008/MeandtheKnucklehead.jpg

Da Worfster
And let's be thankful the young man got his mom's looks... :lol:

Jack in Wilmington
12-30-2008, 03:14 PM
And let's be thankful the young man got his mom's looks... :lol:

He looks a lot like Theo from the old Cosby Show. Specially when Theo got caught doing something he wasn't supposed to be doing.

RoadRunner6
12-30-2008, 05:35 PM
You are one imposing but friendly looking man there Worfster. I can see a very fine human being behind that face. Nice to have a photo to fit with the marvelous posts.

Thanks,
RR6 :D

dean_martin
12-30-2008, 08:20 PM

Da Worfster

Great pic, Worf! Love it! My son just sank his two-week old vehicle in a bog. I know exactly how you feel, after making sure he was alright and explaining to him that we don't have insurance for "STUPID".

thekid
12-31-2008, 02:41 AM
Worf

Nice photo-you and your son's pose is similar to the one I often find myself in with my 15-year old son.....

As for the movie 7lbs I have not seen it but on the radio yesterday some movie website was quoted as ranking it one of the worst movies of 08. They ranked "The Women" as the worst,then 7lbs and "88 Minutes" as the 3rd worst. I don't usually pay too much attention to critics but that type of ranking plus what everyone here says is a predictable plot means I will wait till the DVD.

kexodusc
12-31-2008, 05:05 AM
Wow "88 minutes" was the 3 worst on that list? Did they sleep through most of 2008?

Worf101
12-31-2008, 08:06 AM
Thanks, I complain a LOT about Ian, but he's a good kid, straight "A"s and for the most part he's all a Dad could ask for BUT, no kid's "perfect". And I rarely tell him how "good" he is so as to keep him humble and motivated. As for the snide remarks.

1. Thanks F.A. for the love.

2. Kex - Pheh... Philistine :dita: Ah'll have you know Sir that... he does have his mums looks... sigh.

3. Thanks for the love there Road Runner.

4. Jack... Well, his mum and I are both "professionals" but we're as far from the Huxtables as you can git. LOL. I did watch that show in the day though. And Ian DID take an electric hair clipper to his head for "no reason" once... I guess life does imitate art.

5. Deano, Deano, DEANO!!!! How in God's Name did you let your teenager near "powered equipment". LOL, nope there's no inoculation against STUPID. LOL, I'm laughing and crying here... thanks for sharing.

6. The Keeeeed - Yeah, we should swap horror stories sometime. 15 year old boys HAVE to be the stupidest things on the planet. 15 year old girls have to be the most emotional.

Observation. I didn't realise until looking at this pic that my forearm's wider than Ian's head. Gulp.

Happy New Year everybody...

Da Worfster

RGA
01-01-2009, 04:43 PM
Well per usual I will disagree with the folks here and agree with Roger Ebert. "Some people like to be emotionally manipulated. I do, when it's done well." And I think it's done well and it's done truthfully.

This film is more character driven and plot is secondary to such films. Will Smith is truly outstanding proving to me that he is one of if not the best actor of his generation.

If you liked "The Pursuit of Happiness" and that film has the same "emotional manipulation" then you will likely feel the same pulled heartstrings for 7 Pounds. I liked the Pursuit of Happiness and this film is about as good.

But hey my expectations were not that high - after all I just got a perfect copy of the DVD screener for $0.85. Living n China does have a benefit.

bobsticks
01-01-2009, 05:14 PM
Observation. I didn't realise until looking at this pic that my forearm's wider than Ian's head. Gulp.

Ja. I was just having a moment of gratitude that I'll never have one of them Klingon hamhocks upside my noggin.

My movie watching habits are an embarassment to this forum. I already knew I had copies of "WallE", "The Dark Knight", and "Iron Man" laying around unwatched but a cursory glance through the stacks reveals "Perfect Stranger", "The Last King of Scotland", and "Transformers" also unopened.

For shame.

ForeverAutumn
01-01-2009, 08:21 PM
Well per usual I will disagree with the folks here and agree with Roger Ebert. "Some people like to be emotionally manipulated. I do, when it's done well." And I think it's done well and it's done truthfully.

This film is more character driven and plot is secondary to such films. Will Smith is truly outstanding proving to me that he is one of if not the best actor of his generation.

If you liked "The Pursuit of Happiness" and that film has the same "emotional manipulation" then you will likely feel the same pulled heartstrings for 7 Pounds. I liked the Pursuit of Happiness and this film is about as good.

But hey my expectations were not that high - after all I just got a perfect copy of the DVD screener for $0.85. Living n China does have a benefit.

I like to be emotionally manipulated too. But I just didn't feel it here. I think that this movie had a ton of potential if they'd made it a bit longer. I don't want to discuss it too much in fear of letting loose a spoiler. But I just didn't feel for Smith's character. I think that the film needed to forget about trying to deliver a suprise ending (which didn't surprise me) and delve a little deeper into his psyche and what drove him. Getting some of the other characters more involved in the emotional aspect would have helped too. I kept waiting to learn something, anything, about Woody Harrelson's character and it never happened. There was nothing to convince me that Harrelson was deserving. I felt emotional for the female character but not for anyone else.

Come to think of it...I didn't feel much for Smith in The Pursuit of Happyness either.

RGA
01-01-2009, 09:54 PM
I suppose I agree with you on a number of aspects which is why this is not going on my list fo the all time great films. Ebert gave it 3 stars a recommendation but not elite. I agree that all of the tertiary characters were rather flat. A film largely from the 1st person perspective is going to have some problems. I prefer films that do not explain everything to me right at the beginning of the movie. I do not believe they're relying on a twist at the end and even if they were it was not central to the story. The very title suggests what the film is going to be about after about 15 - 20 minutes.

Finding deserving people - well it seemed to me that Smith was in a hurry to get things done. Finding a person in that particular situation and determining if he was deserving was believable in the sense that there probably are not many of them - it's plausible. I question the casting of Harrelson though as I think it would be better served to have a less well known actor for such a part. It can be distracting.

Like I said if you liked Pursuit of Happiness you would likely like this movie - if you didn't much care for the Pursuit of happiness then you probably won't like 7 Pounds. By the sounds of it you didn't and I did.

Neither are going down the halls of the greatest motion pictures of all time. But I found them entertaining throughout driven by strong performances.

Though "In Bruges" is the best movie I've seen this year and most people hated it I think. Though I have not seen very much this year I must admit.

Worf101
01-02-2009, 08:42 AM
Though "In Bruges" is the best movie I've seen this year and most people hated it I think. Though I have not seen very much this year I must admit.
I loved "In Bruges" the best "quirky" Brit shoot em up I've seen since the genre started with Lock, Stock. Certainly has stayed with me though.

Da Worfster

3-LockBox
01-02-2009, 11:09 AM
Wow Worf, all you need is a tweed jacket and a bolo tie and you can teach Ralph Machio that long forgotten Robert Johnson/Blind Dog Fulton collaboration ;)

Great pic BTW - love the hat.

RGA
01-02-2009, 06:40 PM
Sorry Worf i see you more as a General Martok.

Rich-n-Texas
01-02-2009, 08:26 PM

Da Worfster
Okay so I don't understand where the "Sir Creasy" moniker comes from. :idea:

Where's the crease?

Worf101
01-05-2009, 06:32 AM
Wow Worf, all you need is a tweed jacket and a bolo tie and you can teach Ralph Machio that long forgotten Robert Johnson/Blind Dog Fulton collaboration ;)

Great pic BTW - love the hat.
I'm NOT a big fan of the Blues. I'm a Rhythm AND Blues man. Matter of fact I wrote a song that we perform called "I Hate the Effin' Blues - In G" . Here's some of the lyrics.

"Hey everybody, go thell the news.
Tell yo mama and daddy that I hate the f**kin' blues
I said Hey... tell everybody the news...
Tell BB and Albert that I don't need their stinkin' blues."

"I got all my teeth
I got all my hair
I'm a happy sonua***** I'll go any damn where..
I said hey, tell everybody the news....
Tell Stevie and Jimi I don't need the god damn Blues..."

It's all done tongue and cheek of course. Problem is when most folks see a large, sweaty black man onstage the first thing comes to mind is "i bet he sings the blues". Well I can, but I don't.

Da Worfster

Worf101
01-05-2009, 06:34 AM
Sorry Worf i see you more as a General Martok.
NOW you're talkin'!!!! I like the way you think!!!!

Da Worfster

Worf101
01-05-2009, 06:36 AM
Okay so I don't understand where the "Sir Creasy" moniker comes from. :idea:

Where's the crease?
Klingons have wrinkled, creased (BIG CREASES) foreheads. At least in the later versions of Star Trek, as a result, certain members of this forum (who shall be eviscerated later) call me creasey in referece to the Klingon forehead. If you were joking please disregard this treatise on Klingon anatomy.

Da Worfster