Need help choosing a Sony DVP / BDP [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need help choosing a Sony DVP / BDP

dogorman
12-29-2008, 01:52 PM
I need a Sony DVD player with 5.1 analog outputs because I own a multichannel analog preamp instead of a processor (and I want to keep things that way if possible).

My current Sony DVP-NS3100ES experiencing a lot of issues, so I'm thinking of a change to some other model on the secondary market. I could get the DVP-NS9100ES, but it's a lot of moolah for a redbook DVD player. I could also get the BDP-S1 or some other blu-ray player for less money, but my TV is only 720p/1080i and not 1080p.

The player has to be Sony because that's the *only* vendor whose players don't choke on all my personal backups. Oh and obviously the player also has to have hdmi output, regardless.

So which player in the Sony DVP or BDP lines has the best 5.1 analog sound? Any thoughts?

pixelthis
12-29-2008, 10:49 PM
Get the Sony BDP 350 blu player.
Upconversion is great , sound is great through the 5.1, and loading problems have been fixed.
Only worry I have is your "backups" but you can always take it back if that is an issue.
Doesnt matter if your set isnt 1080p(although that helps) blu will still look good,
and the sound is fantastic.
If you are an audiophile type you will love the concerts on blu, 96k and clear sound like you wouldnt beleive, embarasses SACD really.
Anything else you buy (non blu) will be obsolete outta the box.:1:

dogorman
12-30-2008, 06:13 AM
Looks like a well-reviewed and well-liked player without a lot of the freeze problems that the other machines have had, but it won't work for my purposes because it doesn't have *analog* 5.1 audio outputs on the back, as does the BDP-S1 and BDP-S500, for example. Remember, I don't have a processor, so digital 5.1 sound outupt does nothing for me.

...Is the BDP-S550 from the same generation and of the same quality? Because I note that it *does* have multichannel analog audio outputs.

f0rge
12-30-2008, 11:17 AM
i cant comment on the sony, but bluray looks really sweet even in 1080i.

pixelthis
12-31-2008, 12:04 AM
Looks like a well-reviewed and well-liked player without a lot of the freeze problems that the other machines have had, but it won't work for my purposes because it doesn't have *analog* 5.1 audio outputs on the back, as does the BDP-S1 and BDP-S500, for example. Remember, I don't have a processor, so digital 5.1 sound outupt does nothing for me.

...Is the BDP-S550 from the same generation and of the same quality? Because I note that it *does* have multichannel analog audio outputs.

My bad. I have a sony BDP 300 and it has the 5.1 outs, so I assumed the 350 did also,
I just thought that the 350 was the next gen of the 300.
SORRY.
for what its worth the multichannel solution is great, and has allowed me to get more life outta an otherwise obsolete receiver that doesnt have new features.
I cant afford to throw away a 1200 piece of gear just because it doesnt have the latest codecs.
It has great amps and a quiet phono stage, something becoming incresingly rare.
But on balance you need Blu, trust me, its the next thing, DVD is obsolete, really.:1:

dax
01-05-2009, 06:15 AM
Is the BDP-S550 from the same generation and of the same quality? Because I note that it *does* have multichannel analog audio outputs.

I purchased the Sony BDP550 because I required the multi-channel analog outputs. However, the sublevel on these units have a problem in that it is 10dB lower than the other outputs. Because of that, I returned it and replaced it with the Panasonic DMP-BD55, which has been flawless and I highly recommend.