surround speakers for vintage large Advents [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : surround speakers for vintage large Advents

diesel600
12-27-2008, 05:09 PM
I'm in the process of restoring a pair of vintage Large Advent speakers for my living room. They will primarily be used just for music but I would like to add a center channel and pair of surround speakers (maybe a sub too) for home theater use as well. Can anyone recommend some options that might be a decent match for the old Advents? The living room is 21' X 12'. Thanks.

Feanor
12-28-2008, 07:03 AM
I'm in the process of restoring a pair of vintage Large Advent speakers for my living room. They will primarily be used just for music but I would like to add a center channel and pair of surround speakers (maybe a sub too) for home theater use as well. Can anyone recommend some options that might be a decent match for the old Advents? The living room is 21' X 12'. Thanks.

Hi, diesel, and welcome to AR Forums.

Why not look around for some more Advents? They're fairly common on eBay for example

As for the center channel, it isn't necessariy to one of those side-by-side woofer-tweeter-woofer designs: see the picture of my DIY speaker I made couple of years ago; (woofer-tweeter-vent). If the Advent is a bit tall, lay it on its side and it will work 100%.

89lazarus
01-11-2009, 06:19 PM
Hi an all Advent system would work great.Back in the day you would stack the large Advents,with the top speaker in a laying flat forming a tee.This was the system to have with a pair of son of ampzillas.I just saw a pair at the Goodwill last week.

E-Stat
01-12-2009, 03:52 PM
Hi an all Advent system would work great.Back in the day you would stack the large Advents,with the top speaker in a laying flat forming a tee.This was the system to have with a pair of son of ampzillas.I just saw a pair at the Goodwill last week.
Did you ever try the configuration TAS used for their review back in '73? I use that same vertically oriented stack with the uppers inverted in a quasi-MTM arrangement. Such minimizes lobing and provides an excellent perceived image height. Mine are driven by a Threshold Stasis Three amp.

rw

E-Stat
01-12-2009, 03:57 PM
I'm in the process of restoring a pair of vintage Large Advent speakers for my living room.
If you have basic soldering skills, I would recommend updating the crossover caps and wiring during the process. These are quick and inexpensive ways to improve their sound.

Can anyone recommend some options that might be a decent match for the old Advents? The living room is 21' X 12'. Thanks.
I would go with a Smaller Advent for the center channel to provide the same voicing. I find that the surrounds are less critical. FWIW, I use easily sourced and inexpensive Radio Shack Minimus 7s for the rear.

rw