Crackling speaker [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Crackling speaker

StanleyMuso
03-14-2004, 08:26 PM
For a while, I have bee bothered by a crackling sound form one channel about a minute or so after first switching on my stereo. It did not seem to matter what source component I was using. After a few crackles, it goes away for the rest of the listening session. It has been driving me crazy. I suspected the amp, the pre-amp, the interconnects, etc, Yesterday, the beast started crackling just after switch on, except that I also lost sound from the offending channel. On closer examination, I noticed that the speaker sounded like a low quality transistor radio. The mid and high frequecy drivers were playing, but not the woofer. I cranked up the volume, the speaker briefly cracled once more, and the sound came back and was OK for the rest of the evening.

What gives? Is it the woofer, or could it be a fault with the crossover?

All suggestions gratefully recieved.

vivisimonvi
03-16-2004, 07:53 PM
It might help to post what type of equipment you are using...

I have this same problem with my Pioneer A88X integrated amp (circa 1985 before the Elite line). I know it's the amps problem because I can reverse the stereo signal and it would crackle on the opposite speaker (using any speaker does this, even headphones through the headphone jack). Messing with the buttons (like switching inputs, etc.) seems to complicate the problem (or actually fix it if I mess with it enough times). Occassionally setting the volume really high with enough bass fixes this, but turning low once again it would crackle. I got it working PERFECT now but if I mess with any switches (except the volume control), it would start crackling again and I would spent a very long time pushing buttons to get it right. I have no need to use any of the switches as I just use it as a simple power amp, just control the volume only. My dad sent it in to get it serviced about a decade ago but the guy never fixed the problem (several times). If it's a not so expensive older amp I'd consider purchasing a new one... Don't bother with a repair tech you don't know or trust (like I've experienced), you'd only waste your money.

I've posted this similiar problem on here before with no help (I blame my lack of electronic knowledge to explain this scenario)... maybe someone this time can help you.

mtrycraft
03-16-2004, 10:19 PM
For a while, I have bee bothered by a crackling sound form one channel about a minute or so after first switching on my stereo. It did not seem to matter what source component I was using. After a few crackles, it goes away for the rest of the listening session. It has been driving me crazy. I suspected the amp, the pre-amp, the interconnects, etc, Yesterday, the beast started crackling just after switch on, except that I also lost sound from the offending channel. On closer examination, I noticed that the speaker sounded like a low quality transistor radio. The mid and high frequecy drivers were playing, but not the woofer. I cranked up the volume, the speaker briefly cracled once more, and the sound came back and was OK for the rest of the evening.

What gives? Is it the woofer, or could it be a fault with the crossover?

All suggestions gratefully recieved.

It almost sounds like a part in the crossover to the woofer is going bad, is bad, or developed a cold joint. Or, the driver itself. Certainly not the wire or anything else if you noticed problesm with only one of the drivers which you were able to identify.

StanleyMuso
03-17-2004, 02:56 PM
This crackling has been troubling me for a long time, always right at the beginning of the listening session. In fact, at first I thought it was a distortion coming off the CD or record, but when I go back and replay the section, it is OK.

My equipment is old - amp, record player, cassette deck and speakers all bought about 1980. The pre-amp and tuner died on me two or three years ago, so these are new. However, considering the age of the amp, I suspected it as the source of the crackling. However, until the other day, the problem was so transitory and impossible to replicate, I was not able to isolate it. Now that it has come up in a more extreme form, I know it is the speaker. Since my post however, it has been behaving itself again. I have moved the speakers, so the left channel speaker is now on the right and vice versa. Next time the crackling recurs, and if it changes channel, I will know definitely that its the speaker.

If it is the crossover, is it something I can fix myself? I am on the hunt for new speakers, but don't have the readys just yet, and would like the old one to continue living for just a little longer.

By the way, the speakers are those old fashioned variety that were current in those days - way too big to be a bookshelf, but too low to be a floor stander. It is a 3 way with a 12 inch woofer, a smaller midrange, and a paper tweeter acompanied by a horn tweeter. About two years ago I replaced the woofers due to foam rot.

Thanks again.