New Headphones [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New Headphones

Da_Duck
12-27-2008, 12:56 PM
Hey gang,

I am looking for a new pair of headphones, my price range is as low as possible...very cheap about $40-$50 tops. what do you guys recommend? what do i look for when i am buying a pair of headphones? these will be used for at home, dont need anything fancy just something nice and comfortable with some decent sound. If possible, interested in something with a mic.

Thanks guys
-Dan

Da_Duck
12-27-2008, 01:11 PM
sorry guys,

Just lurked a little more and found another thread going on already. i looked at one of the links for a moment and found these:

http://www.headphone.com/products/things-on-sale/sennheiser-hd-205.php

granted like i said before i do not know much on what to look for; and my price range is much lower then the other recommendations. but what do you think? thanks guys.

-Dan

IBSTORMIN
12-27-2008, 02:38 PM
Dan,
I'd go for the Senn's. Sennheiser makes a good can no matter what the price and even better on sale. I have their HD-280 PRO's and like them. I'd like the 650 but $$$$$$$

RGA
12-27-2008, 09:14 PM
I have Sennheiser HD 600s but for your budget I would highly recommend the AKG 26p. This model has been replaced by the 414p and retails for $59.99 but I got my 26p for $40 and so will you - maybe $$50.

I liked it so much I bought a second pair. The treble is a bit reduced but this is a bonus to help the sound of MP3 and the bass is excellent for this money. The Senn models for double the price I liked a lot less.

The AKG is also quite nice at reducing outside noise and is easy to fold up and stick in a jacket pocket. http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-manufacturer/akg/akg-k-414-p.php

Da_Duck
12-27-2008, 10:54 PM
awesome, thanks for the replies guys.

IBSTORMIN
12-28-2008, 07:26 AM
If I were you, take our suggestions and go listen to both. As you can tell, they are a personal thing and only you can pick what is right for you.

Auricauricle
12-28-2008, 12:44 PM
Although I won't endorse any particular brand or model, there are certain things you might wanna pay attention to when making up your mind.

1. Comfort. You will probably be wearing your headphones for protracted periods of time. While the 'phones may feel snug-as-a-bug now, what will they feel like in a couple of hours? As you listen, are you becoming increasingly involved with the music, or does the presence of the headset pop into the foreground now and then? Wear them for a while and try to engage yourself in the tunes. Feel the Force, Luke!

2. Sound. Headphones should present a musical signature that is indicative of input only. Does the sound get overly tinny or thump-ass bassy? Chances are these are not the chacteristics that you nor the engineers put into the music, but the 'phones. Like loudspeakers, headphones should not introduce any imprinteur of themselves, but a neutral (you can tweak the knobs) tone that renders the intruments invisible. Any trace of heaviness or over-the-top lightness is artifact and should be under your control only.

3. Construction. As with anything else that is important and expensive, check the headphones out for any compromises of quality that may indicate the necessity for future discard and repurchase in the future. While all the major brands manufacture a vast array of sets for consumers who don't mind the annual trip to Circuit City, they also manufacture gear that is built for a lifetime of deployment and enjoyment. It's your ears, your wallet and your perogative, As one who has owned more headphones than he has teeth in his head, I can attest that buying a headset with these long term intentions will make your appraisal of the various wares more informed.

4. Leakage. All 'phones leak sound, but some more than others. This may be alright for some, but others may find the sound of leaking headphones quite objectionable. This may not be a flaw but a limitation of the design that should be considered. Recently, I purchased a pair or Audio Technica headphones that are notoriously conspicuous even when clapped firmly over the cranium. This is a sacrifice, deliberately made by the manufacturer, to ensure open and expansive sonic presence. Previously bought headphones included a much less "intrusive" set made by Sony. These latter phones were much less porous: again indicative of the manufacturer's goal of giving listeners a focused and more reserved experience.

5. Musical taste. LIsten to a variety of music when you audition the headset. Even if you are a resolute classical music buff, you ought to give the 'phones the chance to present themselves in their best possible light. Listen to the way the music is presented and imagine the venue in which the music was recorded. Does it sound like a recording booth? Does it sound like a cathedral? Does it sound like a stadium? Before there was DSP there was imagination. Do the 'phones let you stretch this vital resource effectively or do they constrain you to their own limits? Remeber the Audiophile Mantra: "Listen and you will hear".

6. Aesthetics. Yes, this is important, because after a while, you will be seen wearing the things. Will they make you look cool or like a dork? Do you care? Are you man enough to wear them? Are ya, punk?

7. Peripherals. All things, including the best-made headphones, fall apart. Make sure the wiring is robust and can be kicked around a little. Yes, these are your babies and you will give them nothing but TLC. Will everybody else? Can you replace them? What about the ear pieces? Can they be replaced? How much do they cost? Who supplies them? Remember, you may want to keep these for a while. Will the company honor your steadfast loyalty when the time comes?

8. Accoutrements. Like anything stereo-phile related, headphone listening is accompanied by a vast community of manufacturers and afficianados who have created and commented upon the virtues of equipment and gear to make your experience more satisfying and their pockets a bit thicker. Headphone amplifiers, cords, and a host of other gizmos and contraptions have been developed for these purposes. Some of them are well conceived and quite well made. Some of them are purely rubbish. Listen to everyone, but make up your own mind as to what you should retain and what you should discard.

Well, that about sums it up. Again, I won't reccommend any model or manufacturer, for that is your decision to make, not mine. With these pointers in mind, however, you should make an appropriate decision. Good luck and keep us posted!

Da_Duck
12-30-2008, 11:13 AM
wow great response. thank you very much. i will keep you all posted on what i decide to do. most likely it will take me a few years to try a few headsets to find the brand and model that i enjoy. i will keep all the recommendations and help in mind while i am shopping, thanks a million.

-Dan