The Samson S-amp [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The Samson S-amp

jrhymeammo
12-27-2008, 06:01 AM
Yes, this thread is about my new little toy.
THE SAMSON S-AMP.

I have plunged into my 401K fund to treat myself to an early Christmas present.

This little sucker only costs FITTIE bucks and is amazing for the money.
The unit has been running for about 7 days straight and sound has opened up just a bit.

Comparison:

*Marantz SA8001 headphone output => Audio Technica AD-1000
*Marantz SA8001 RCA => RCA to 1/4" => S-Amp => Audio Techcnica AD-1000

I honestly couldnt tell the difference between the 2. Tonal quality is exactly the same.
Micro-dynamic is indistinguishable between 2 units. If anything S-Amp had better controlled bass when turned up. I highly recommend this unit!

Okay, I had to open this sucker up.

Each Channel comes with a cheap 4580D Op-Amp and 330uF 16V caps.
Where is my soldering iron? Hmmm.......

Hoping you guys a Happy New Year!
JRA

winston
12-27-2008, 08:52 PM
HI JRA
happy new year, i hope you put in some hard work to build back up that 401K
(smile)

hey man you always come at the right time...I'll be getting one of those before the end of the next week...love your no-nonsense approach towards HIFI
WINSTON

jrhymeammo
12-28-2008, 08:17 AM
Hey Winston,

You wont be disappointed with the head amp. This unit is very easy to listen to, and certainly does not sound sterile. It has more than enough punch for your AT-AD700.

HI JRA
...love your no-nonsense approach towards HIFI
WINSTON

Well, you might be disappointed cuz I'll be adding 3 capacitors that costs $15 each. Maybe a different Op-Amp.

winston
12-29-2008, 08:12 PM
WELL JRA
MAN i wont be disappointed at all. Sunday i found one on amazon for $33.95 include shipping, my old Yamaha CDX-520, 19 years old is already running with the
AD700 until the S-AMP arrive. hoping you make a post when you launch them 3 capacitors

winston
01-10-2009, 05:31 PM
Well, you might be disappointed cuz I'll be adding 3 capacitors that costs $15each.
Maybe a different Op-Amp.
well JRA , i got the SAMPSON S-AMP about a week now however i never got around to getting that quarter to quarter inch jack until today, that been said i hook it up"- at first there's lots of noise, but after reversing the jacks on both ends.. everything becomes silent/quiter (except the music") tonal quality is good no disappointment here except the cable speaking for myself i love this amps very much as i use my cans- AD700 about 13 feet away from my setup and IMO it maintains the integrity of the sound and then some for that distance
i am sure the S-AMP is not remotely close to big boys $$$$ them but I'm loving it!
WINSTON

winston
03-25-2009, 06:12 PM
OK' HEADPHONE'PHILERS
QUESTION my Sampson S- Amp did the the best it could for my ATH-AD700 ? i could not have asked for more ! for $25 bucks...(BUT I COULD USED A LITTLE TIGHTER BASS) i went digging through old threads to see what the forums "pros" have to say about used amp and they seems to like the Creek OBH-21 they say its good and it retains most of its value. i found one for $125.00 fully powered i brought it home hook her up"( ITS AN AMAZING AMPS ) however....my BASS IS STILL NOT TIGHTENING UP so my question is i am thinking the headphones doesn't have the bass authority. its 32 OHMS would i be making the right move to get a 64 or highter ohms set of CANS ?

atomicAdam
03-25-2009, 09:06 PM
would i be making the right move to get a 64 or highter ohms set of CANS ?

That is a good question winston. I hope someone has an answer for you cause i am interested in knowing the answer, and why it would be or not be the case.

winston
03-26-2009, 06:14 PM
HI AtomicAdam this portable Audio area is a bit lonely ?
anyways today i exchange posts reply with two guys on HEAD-FI they owned or used ATH A & AD series cans Open and Closed. with and without amps,... and they seems to be on the same page talking about the AD 700 what strike me as (INTERESTING) they said don't even try" cause anything BELOW the AD2000' would be MINIMAL if i am looking for more OOMPH. (AD2000 is big $$$$) so we're STILL looking for more ANSWER

Auricauricle
03-27-2009, 01:29 PM
Win--As you know, like you, I own and use these 'phones. Compared to other sets I have owned, the AT's are not 'phones that you can expect that oomph quality you are looking for. I use two eq's in my rig--a parametric and a graphic--to give me the freedom to adjust sonics according to my taste without being constrained to the preferences of stuio engineers, etc. Anyway and getting back to the 'phones, I think the sound of these phones is a bit refined, and if you are looking for something more visceral, I suggest you look into brands like AKG or Sony. AKG's phones, to the best of my recollection, present a very coherent and tight sound that is quite lively with plenty of oomph. The Sony's are also very nicely manufactured, but I think their sound is lacks the clarity of the AKG's. I could be quite mistaken on this score, for I have not done an A-B comparison. Sennheiser makes excellent 'phones; but it has been quite a while since I have had the pleasure of listening to them. Still, their reputation is solid, so you should give them an ear. Also, try Grado's gear, if you can. Their cans are reputed very highly, although they score low points for comfort....I have not listened to Grados yet, so I cannot give you an informed opinion about them.

What I have learned about headphones, is that their design and employment is much like loudspeakers. While some loudspeakers are quite wonderful at reproducing the transient and wonderful things that come from classical, chamber ensemble and jazz ensemble listening, others exert their skills at reproducing the snaps and booms of rock and roll and electronica with aplomb. I don't know if there is a one-size-fits-all formula for headphone manufacturing. Instead, I think you have to know the characteristics of the music you love and plan accordingly. In sum, headphone preferences are very personal, and selection of a set should be done with care and due dilligence.

Of course, you know, I could be full of shishkabob!

winston
03-27-2009, 06:45 PM
Of course, you know, I could be full of shishkabob! NO WAY
Auricauricle thanks for this reply' your one of the guys that knows their (ONIONS) smile" i really do find the AD700 sound as been very refined soooo i thought a bit more oomph would make me feel like I'm wearing a $$$$ cans. well i cant have my cake and eat too ?.
that been said my I LISTEN TO classical,chamber,jazz,rock,dance, when i find the MODES for them therefore the AD700 fits some of those modes. bottom line one more set of cans will take the edge off (some?) I'll take my time to choose.... i did try the Grado once for a few weeks i think the model was the 80' to be honest they did sound very good but they felt like sand paper on my ear..unless they have better wearing ones by now that's one less to try. thanks again good info.

winston
04-01-2009, 05:37 PM
GOOD NEWS sounds are getting better on my AD700 and OBH-21
i did a forum search to get some ideas on headphones (ohms) when using with amps that have higher ohms... one of "MARKW" post answer my question on that,..so i decided do a little tweak' off the top of my head. over the weekend i receive on order of four sets of premium RCA cable from mono price*****for $2.98 each = $11.92 (RR6 mention mono price every-time) ! so i unhook the AQ blue racer cable with the $40.00 per set RCA- 800 silver plated plugs....(open up a pack of Mono price $2.98 cable to connect OBH21 to the CDP... plug in the AD700 to the OBH21) the difference was night & day suddenly all that brightness went away the mid range / Diana Krall voice that used to drill a hole inside my head" went back to the middle the bass got about 50% tighter every little nuance is where it supposed to be. thanks to RR6 for them cables. and Aric Auricle help the music is good, its all good.........Winston

Auricauricle
04-01-2009, 05:51 PM
Good for you, Win! Enjoy the tunes, and stay in touch! And thank you for the kind words, man!

modright
02-28-2013, 01:04 PM
Hi everyone !
I have just remove the first opa-amp from the board (its not necessary) and replace the psu with one more powerfull ! Things are getting very interesting !

You can see the jumbers needed for mod to work

Bolle
11-30-2013, 09:37 AM
Hi I have a 3 channel.Superlux HA3D,which I use when on the move.Bought it in Germany for 75 euro.
I am also the happy owner of a pair of Sennheiser HD800.(350ohm)
The Superlux powers them easily.And the Sound Stage is fine.
When turning down the vol.left ch.turns of a little bit before right,but at normal listening level,the balance is fine.

Kaudi
12-03-2013, 11:41 AM
[QUOTE=Bolle;398176]Hi I have a 3 channel.Superlux HA3D,which I use when on the move.Bought it in Germany for 75 euro.

the Superlux is a copy of the Sound Devices portable amp.
Seems to be an exact copy at a 3rd of the price.
(the Chinese do not care about copyrights)

nobita88
02-22-2021, 12:54 AM
Your post content is being interested by a lot of people, I am very impressed with your post. I hope to receive more good articles. time calculator (https://time-calculator.co)