Optical audio deal? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Optical audio deal?

AlanS
12-26-2008, 05:36 PM
OK...just need a 6' Optical audio cable...I went to Monoprice, out of stock on the 'Premium' cable...their 'not premium' was in stock. No description on the non-premium...Is it worth it? Where else can I get two cables for under $10 each? The Mono Premium was a wolloping $4.50...can't beat that.
Are there differences in optical cables (Toslink) at these 'short' distances?

Mr Peabody
12-26-2008, 09:58 PM
If coaxial is an option it would be a better way to go especially if you are going cheap. There is some difference in optical cables and from what I've read optical is the most susceptible to abnormalities which could effect sound. The optical signal is light and if there are any bends in the cable, especially sharp ones, they could cause light distortions which make it difficult for the receiving unit to tell if it is receiving a 1 or 0. I have also seen cheap optical cables that had ends which didn't connect into the socket tightly. They would push in but be loose because it didn't snap in.

blackraven
12-27-2008, 06:16 PM
The other potential problem with optical is that you are taking an electrical signal, converting it to an optical signal and then back to an electrical signal again. There is a theoretical greater potential for error and worse sound.