Advice needed for Home Theatre/Music System (Living Room layout included) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed for Home Theatre/Music System (Living Room layout included)

nanobeast
12-24-2008, 05:43 PM
I just moved into a new apartment and got a 50 inch Panasonic Plasma TV and a PS3 for Blueray DVD.. I am looking to pair them up with good sound system. I am a complete newbie to all this and I was hoping some of you might be able to guide me.

To begin with here is the layout of my living room.

http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/4531/livingroomha3.png

I am looking to build a system in steps. I would like to start off with a front speakers and receiver for now. Next month I would like to add a sub and center channel.

At some point in the future I will add the rear speakers for 5.1 system.

In the meantime, could I please get some suggestions for a good receiver and front speakers with these points in mind?....

1) I am looking to spend about $300-500 on receiver and about $500-1000 on front speakers. Could I get some suggestions for the lower price range as well as the higher price range? Later on I will spend about $300-500 each on Subwoofer and center speaker.

2) I intend to use the speakers for HT as well as music listening. I prefer well balanced sound with details inside of loud volumes. Same with bass...prefer nice tight bass instead of high boom boom sounds.

3) I have always liked the Magnepans and Martin Logans but from what I hear, the room and spacing is a problem with these speakers. Given the size of my room and viewing distance, would they work?

4) What kind of sub woofer and center speaker would balance out the system. (About $300-500 each).

Any suggestions/help/advice would be MUCH greatly appreciated.

blackraven
12-24-2008, 06:38 PM
You could do a pair of Magnepan MG12's in that room but you will need a receiver or amp of at least 100wpc of high current at 4ohms and that will cost you more that $500. Magnepans need to be placed 1.5 to 3 feet from the back wall and about 6-8ft apart.

You can get by with the Onkyo TX SR806 receiver (about $600) and at a later date ( this receiver is rated for 4 ohm speakers which you need for the Magnepans, its also a high current receiver which will be of benefit in driving the Maggies), buy a 5ch amp like an Emotiva and use the Onkyo as a 5.1 preamp if you have your heart set on Magnepans. I would really stay away from the MMG's and get the MG12's for $1,100.

If you have your heart set on Magnepan's then there are a few things you should know. Cheap subs don't work well with them. You need a "fast sub" to keep up with them. The cheapest sub that I know that sounds pretty good with them is the Martin Logan Dynamo which can be bought through Best Buy for $599. Its a very good sub for music. Its a non ported 10" sub. You may be able to find it on www.audiogon.com used for a better price. The Velodyne SPL series subs are non ported and match fairly well. Non ported subs tend to work better with the Maggies.

You should also know that for HT use Maggies are just ok. They make rear speakers that hang on the wall and they make 2 center channel speaker's. A smaller cheap one and a huge center which sells for about $900. There are better sounding centers but they won't match with the Maggies. I use a B&W center because it is great with dialogue and I don't care if it matches with my MG 1.6's.

You should consider the MG1.6's. For music they dont really need a sub but the MG12's do. If you get the 1.6's then you can buy any sub you want for HT use because its not as important that it keep up with the Maggies. I use a Velodyne CHT-8 for HT only and have it turned off for 2ch music.

If you decide to go with Maggies, make sure you use 10-12 speaker wire as this offer better sound and put less strain on your receiver.

I hope this helps some.

nanobeast
12-24-2008, 07:21 PM
Thanks for the reply. Judging from your response, it seems like maggies and its requirements will be over my price range.

I was looking at Onkyo TX-SR606 reciever. What are some of the speakers in the $500-$1000 price range you would suggest, taking the Maggies out of the equation?