Dexter anyone? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Dexter anyone?

RGA
12-24-2008, 05:38 PM
So this is probably the best television show I've seen in a couple of decades and was wondering if anyone out there has enjoyed it as much as me.

When I first read the premise I was not excited in the least. Basically, a serial killer is working as a blood spatter expert for the Miami PD. He helps solves crimes but has been trained by his father to control the "monster within" by killing killers who fall through the cracks - thus satisfying his monster but doing the world a favor by killing those who will kill again.

Sounds like Silence of the Lambs meets C.S.I. And I'm not a huge fan of either one - don't hate them but don't love them like some.

Yet Dexter surprised me by going well beyond the Cartoonish Lambs and not being so insufferably repetitive like C.S.I.

Rich-n-Texas
12-24-2008, 08:43 PM
Draw me some parallels between Dexter and Dr. Who, and maybe you'll sell me RGA.

(Speaking for myself only, obviously)

emaidel
12-25-2008, 05:21 AM
I think "Dexter" is absoutely terrific. The best way to watch it is to rent the DVD's, and then spend a few evenings watching the entire season's worth of programs. Now that Season 3 is finished, I can't wait for the DVD of it, and hope it's a Blu-Ray version so I can enjoy my Chrismas present of a Blu-Ray player!

RGA
12-25-2008, 06:55 AM
Draw me some parallels between Dexter and Dr. Who, and maybe you'll sell me RGA.

(Speaking for myself only, obviously)

Well the only parallel is that people die and there is occasional gore. And both lead characters are "mysterious."

I downloaded the series from Bittorent and watched the first season in about 3 nights. I then bought the DVD's I liked it so much.

kexodusc
12-25-2008, 07:37 AM
You'll probably love the novels then, which really get more into what's going on in Dexter's mind. The stories are different too (well, the first season is pretty much the same as book 1).

I like the series a lot too. Not the best show on TV right now but it's very well done and the characters are all interesting, which can compensate for any faults in plot or repetitiveness.