The Muse -- any fans? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The Muse -- any fans?

Dusty Chalk
03-14-2004, 06:58 PM
I just discovered them myself. Read an article about the making of their new album (soon to be released domestically), asked on another board, was told to go out and get their entire catalog, did not, but did go out and get Showbiz, which is quite excellent, and I think it would appeal to the crowd here. What say you...all?

Gresh
03-15-2004, 07:27 AM
I've heard "Absolution" which I believe is their new disk - I like it a lot - heard lots of Radiohead comparisons which may be valid but I think they rock much harder. I'm not good a drawing comparions but maybe Radiohead mixed with British Sea Power mixed with Idlewild? It is top shelf stuff in any event. I really like "Time is running out" and "Stockholm Syndrome" off Absolution. Just got into them myself so I have not heard other disks.

Dusty Chalk
03-16-2004, 08:46 AM
The only Radiohead I hear is in the guy's voice. It's not as "whiney", but it does some of the same things in the high registers. In response to Davey's post in another thread, yeah, they are much more "rocky", very guitarsy, in an almost Placebo-like fashion (at least, they are on Showbiz, don't know about Absolution, which comes out domestically [to me] next week or so).

Other comparisons -- I hear some Led Zeppelin, too. Perhaps some XTC...? (Earlier XTC, for their skankiness.) I don't know...

Mike
03-17-2004, 12:16 AM
I was thinking a high octane Radiohead but your right they are more Placebo.

Never heard them before the latest album which is pretty good with a couple of immediate standout tracks and the rest ain't half bad either. I think if the album had been out a little earlier last year they would have been the darlings of the Summer festivals in the UK.

Allmusic get their review spot on in my books the album is a bit relentless in one go a torrent of heavy art rock guitars and vocals, I find if I just dip in now and then for a quick fix I like it quite a bit.

Cheers
Mike

Les
03-17-2004, 06:06 AM
Agree with Mike. I've often heard an occasional track on radio or seen a vid on MTV and enjoyed it. I've got the first album but find it difficult to digest 40 minutes plus of their music which can be quite frenetic at times. I think they are quite talented musicians, caught them on a live gig on MTV towards the end of last year and they perform quite brilliantly ........ but maybe the sandwich just has too much filling to enjoy if you get my drift .....

Dusty Chalk
03-17-2004, 02:25 PM
I don't know about you two -- I had no trouble getting through Showbiz.

-Jar-
04-14-2005, 10:01 AM
Just listened to a few songs from ABSOLUTION last night. Blew me away. I'll be hunting down this cee dee soon. I wild wonderful ride touching on not only Radiohead, but also Queen and Queens of the Stone Age and, yes, ELO and yes, Yes.. it's fun, it's crazy, it's way more dirty than Radiohead ever were.. I can't wait to sit down with the whole album. Anyway, I guess I thought this album was newer than it was, I see it's been around for a little while. Oh well better late than never. It's so hard to tell from reading things what is worth checking out and what isn't. I'm very cynical about a lot of the new bands.. if you tell me someone sounds like Gang of Four I'm probably going to run the other way.. enough already...

-jar

Dusty Chalk
04-14-2005, 09:48 PM
I think the statute of limitations has expired on my responsibility for anything I said in this thread...oh, wait, you liked it? Oh, okay, then. I'm glad.

Pats self on back