Do you haggle at retail stores? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Do you haggle at retail stores?

02audionoob
12-22-2008, 08:19 PM
There's an article on Yahoo that says retail stores are open to haggling due to desperate times, but they don't really give such great examples. They talk about stores matching a competitor's prices, but if I knew there was a lower price at a competing store, I would've gone to that store. They also talk about looser return policies, but that doesn't address the main point of the story. Is anyone here haggling at the mall? Best Buy?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081222/ap_on_bi_ge/desperate_retailers

Ajani
12-23-2008, 05:45 AM
They talk about stores matching a competitor's prices, but if I knew there was a lower price at a competing store, I would've gone to that store.

LOL... That's exactly my opinion on price matching... The only way price matching makes sense to me, is when I buy a product and the store gives me a 30 - 90 day price match guarantee (so If I find a lower price after purchasing from them, anytime in the next 30 - 90 days, they'll refund the difference)... There's no way I'm going to walk with an ad from one store to try and convince another store to sell me that product at the same price...

ForeverAutumn
12-23-2008, 06:25 AM
LOL... That's exactly my opinion on price matching... The only way price matching makes sense to me, is when I buy a product and the store gives me a 30 - 90 day price match guarantee (so If I find a lower price after purchasing from them, anytime in the next 30 - 90 days, they'll refund the difference)... There's no way I'm going to walk with an ad from one store to try and convince another store to sell me that product at the same price...

I actually do it all the time (price match, not haggle). Best Buy is much more convenient for me to get to than Future Shop so if FS has something on sale that I want, I'll go into BB and get the same price. Also, some stores will match the competitors price plus give you back 10% of the difference. On a larger item I'll take advantage of that. A sale price that's $100 off becomes $110 off.

As for haggling. I've been known to do it but not very often and depending on the circumstances. When we bought our last clothes dryer, we bought a dented floor model. It was already discounted, but we got them to take off another 15% and include delivery. They must have really wanted it off the floor and we got it for a steal.

I've had a couple of experiences lately where store clerks are offering discounts without me asking, because they want the sale.

bfalls
12-23-2008, 06:27 AM
I used to do a lot of haggling at audio stores, even some franchised stores. I'd always ask the price. I would then ask if I should come back and talk to them if I find a better price somewhere else. If they say "yes" I know there's still "wiggle room" for dealing. Many times I've gotten much better deals just by not being afraid to ask.

You can also get your spouse involved by playing "good spouse/bad spouse". Once I took a pair of speakers home for a listen. I really loved them, but didn't want to pay the price. When my wife and I returned them, I pulled the salesman aside saing I loved the speakers, but my wife wasn't going for it. I then suggest if he reduce the price by $250 I could talk her into it. Works almost every time as long as you don't get ridiculous on price. I ended up getting $1900 speakers for $800. (Disclaimer: Your results may vary):)

Groundbeef
12-23-2008, 06:41 AM
I tend to ask for discounts. Things like "Man, I really like this but is there anything to do about the price?", or "Can I speak to a manager, this seems really expensive, and I'd like a discount".

I generally don't "haggle" per-se, like I do in Mexico. I do price match, and I am not afraid to go back to a store if the price drops within 30 days of my purchase.

Like FA, I have also purchased floor models for my appliences. No one has actually used the washer, but what do I care if there is a scratch? In fact, an unsightly ding should get me a bigger discount!

I must say, as I get older, I get less and less concerned about what other shoppers think of my tactics. My 12 year old daughter however, is mortified whenever I ask for a lower price. She still hasn't figured out that money doesn't grow on trees.

Don't get me started on new cars. I got screwed twice on my first 2 cars. Never again. I take an entire day off when I have picked out the one I want. I start right in at 8:00am when they open, and by 2-3pm the salesman is begging me to take the car, and his manager is about ready to cry. Last car I bought was our Toyota Sienna Minivan. I got $4000 off, plus the best financing they had at the time. You just have to be prepared to play their game, and be ready to walk out at any time.

If you don't haggle, or ask for discounts, you are just spending extra money for no need. Stores don't have matching policies in force if they don't intend on doing it.

ForeverAutumn
12-23-2008, 07:23 AM
A lot of times those matching policies are bogus, however. My Hubby works for an electronics company and Future Shop, Costco, Best Buy...I could go on...all have 'exclusive' items built for them. So Future Shop can advertise that they'll price match or refund the difference if you find the same TV somewhere else for less. But the problem is that no-one else can carry that TV because it's made exclusively for Future Shop. The other stores will have model #1234. But Future Shop has model #1234a because the doohicky is on the right side instead of in the rear. And Best Buy has model #1235 because they have an extra doohicky. Etc.

dean_martin
12-23-2008, 09:05 AM
I think a display or floor model invites some good-natured haggling. I bought my wife a zebra print scarf the other night, but the only one available was on a mannequin. Didn't get a big discount, but asking resulted in 10% off.

02audionoob
12-23-2008, 10:34 AM
I think last time I haggled in regular retail store was when I bought a washer, dryer and refrigerator and asked for free delivery and free extended warranties. I did receive those as asked. I don't think I've ever haggled at the mall...no wait...I've haggled at jewelry stores (don't tell my wife). Of course, cars...that's another story. Haggling on cars is a longstanding tradition. It's like a sport.

ForeverAutumn
12-26-2008, 07:34 PM
I tried to haggle for a set of Callaway golf clubs today but it didn't work. I tried it in two stores too. The clubs are 2006 models that are being cleared out so they're already half of the original price. I guess they just can't go any lower than that. I'm still thinking about it. It's hard to purchase golf clubs when there's a foot and half of snow on the ground. But they're such a great price, it's also hard not to!

Regarding price guarantees...here's when I love them... I picked up Guitar Hero with two controllers for $99 a few weeks ago at Best Buy. The same set is on sale this weekend for $59. I'm going back with the receipt on Monday and they'll refund me $40 back. That'll just about cover the Lost DVD set!

Gerall
12-27-2008, 04:05 PM
I hate places that won't give you their best price, but state they will beat the lowest quote. A few years ago my dishwasher went south, and I needed to buy one that Saturday. I went to 4 different places and explained I was buying that day and wanted them to write their best price on their business card, and I would decide on one. I went to FutureShop and gave them the same line. They were over 100 higher on the tag, but would NOT give me their best price, rather said we will beat others best. So I showed him the lowest price, from an independent appliance dealer, who indeed gave his bottom line price. Of course the guy had to go and talk to his manager, probably about partying that night, but came back with a price 20 dollars less. He was all ready to write up the sale, when I told him to go scrub his a$$, He was totally dismayed as to why I would pay 20 more for the dishwasher. I'm sure to this day he still doesnt understand. I did go in that day and buy it from the dealer that gave me his best price. Sounds kinda strange, but thats just the way I do things. I admired the dealer for giving me his bottom line, one offer, price.