JBL speakers for my Home Theatre [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : JBL speakers for my Home Theatre

roadrelics
12-21-2008, 07:07 AM
I presently own a Denon AVR-3806 reiever, 2 JBL- 65 speakers & 1 Velodyne DPS 12 subwoofer...............would the l-65's be good front speakers ??

I am looking at a center speaker {JBL Synthesis THX S3HC Center speaker } are these any good & would it work well with my set up so far ....The person wants $300 for this center speaker........Thanks much in advance & any recomendations are welcomed.......

blackraven
12-21-2008, 04:23 PM
Arent the 65's an in wall speaker? If so, I would look for a pair of bookshelf's or floor standers and use the 65's for rear channels. That Denon 3806 is a very nice receiver. I would consider upgrading to a better line of speakers if you can afford it.

roadrelics
12-21-2008, 04:46 PM
No, the L-65's are probably from the 1970's & are 17'' wide x 24'' tall....i believe they are very good speakers...very heavy......

how about the center speaker i can buy?? (JBL Synthesis THX S3HC Center speaker}, is this one worth $300 .......i don't know much about systems or speakers & don't want to get something i will regret...Thanks again!!!

blackraven
12-21-2008, 05:04 PM
You usually want all your speakers to be from the same model, not just the same brand. The reason for this is proper Timbre and tonal matching. If you don't care about that then buy what ever center channel that sounds good to you. With a good center channel you should have good dialogue clarity so you can understand what is being said.

In my system I use different brand speakers for center and mains because I dont care that much about HT. I prefer 2ch music. But my center channel is great for dialogue with movies.

roadrelics
12-21-2008, 05:18 PM
thanks much Blackraven........i see you are from St. Paul & i a from Minneapolis....the center speaker (JBL Synthesis THX S3HC Center) i am looking at is in Edina & he says it won some awards when it was released...He wants $300 so i'll probably go giveit a listen....Thanks

blackraven
12-21-2008, 10:23 PM
Great weather we are having here RoadRelics! Check out Stereo Land and HiFi Store. Stereo Land carries Paradigm and NHT speakers. The Paradigm centers are nice speakers.
The HiFi store is high end and carries Dynaudio and B&W among others. They have a lot of stuff on for sale on consignment and a lot of used equipment. Sometimes you can find good buys there. Also look to Audio Perfection if you want to listen to some extreme high end audio.

roadrelics
12-22-2008, 06:27 AM
Thanks for the heads up BlackRaven, I did check out Stereo Land the other day & they have closed up shop...I did not know about the others, HiFi Store, however i will check in to it today...Thanks Again!!

blackraven
12-22-2008, 08:28 AM
Roady, Stereoland moved to Eden Prarie. http://www.stereoland.com/about.php

About a year ago I suggested that they carry Cambridge Audio products and I see that they have added that line. No one else in town carries it.