JBL-125A Sub Info [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : JBL-125A Sub Info

thekid
12-20-2008, 03:55 PM
Picked one of these up today for $18.
Not high end but was looking to add it to my HT.
Anyone know it??

markw
12-21-2008, 06:03 AM
It's just woofer. I believe it's a 10" unit and was used in the L26/36 series, and in other systems as well. When used in their full-range systems as such, it's a pretty decent one at that.

But it's not made to be a subwoofer. It doesn't go that low or handle that much power.

thekid
12-21-2008, 06:13 AM
It's just woofer. When used in their full-range systems as such, it's a pretty decent one at that.

Bit it's not a subwoofer. It doesn't go that low.

MarkW

Thanks for the info I have never come across something like that.
I will have to see how I would use it.
Could I connect it to an existing sub-woofer even though it would not act like a sub?

markw
12-21-2008, 06:19 AM
You've never heard of a woofer before?

You can connect it to anything with speaker outputs, but that still won't make it perform like a subwoofer.

It works best in a full range system, such as my JBL L-26 Decades, which don't go down much below 40hz or so

thekid
12-21-2008, 07:27 AM
You've never heard of a woofer before?

You can connect it to anything with speaker outputs, but that still won't make it perform like a subwoofer.

It works best in a full range system, such as my JBL L-26 Decades, which don't go down much below 40hz or so

Let me clarify my ignorance...... I have heard of a woofer....... I just have never seen a stand alone like this that looks like a sub but is not. I guess this unit is like the "Bass Module" that Bose sells. does not go low enough to be a sub but fills out the bottom somewhat.

I have an all Minimus 7/sub combo that this thing might work in but I guess I will have to play around with the hook up a bit to see how it works.

Anyone have any suggestions???

02audionoob
12-21-2008, 08:07 AM
I'd be interested in seeing a picture of this standalone 125A. Trying to understand how a woofer used in full-range speakers came to be in a standalone box.

thekid
12-21-2008, 08:54 AM
I'd be interested in seeing a picture of this standalone 125A. Trying to understand how a woofer used in full-range speakers came to be in a standalone box.

I apologize for not being clear on how I picked this up. This was a thrift find not a new in box purchase. Anyway as I was cleaning it up a bit this morning I noticed the back said to be used as part of the SCS125a speaker system. So I Googled that and found that this is the sub in a late 90's JBL HTIB set-up. It probably is going to end up as a second sub in my son's game set-up.

02audionoob
12-21-2008, 09:51 AM
You were clear on how you picked it up. I was just wondering how a woofer that markw says was designed to serve as part of a full-range speaker came to be mounted alone in a speaker cabinet to serve as a sub.

markw
12-21-2008, 11:47 AM
After much googling, I did find an "SCS 125A" HTIB system that reused the famous "125A" designation for it. enjoy...

http://www.retrevo.com/s/JBL-SCS125A-Speaker-Systems-review-manual/id/597dj698/t/1-2/

Now, google "JBL 125A" and tell me what you find...

thekid
12-21-2008, 01:37 PM
After much googling, I did find an "SCS 125A" HTIB system that reused the famous "125A" designation for it. enjoy...

http://www.retrevo.com/s/JBL-SCS125A-Speaker-Systems-review-manual/id/597dj698/t/1-2/

Now, google "JBL 125A" and tell me what you find...

MarkW

Sorry for not seeing the SCS before I posted.
I appreciate all your help with this.