Sony KV-32HS500 at local thrift [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sony KV-32HS500 at local thrift

thekid
12-20-2008, 03:45 PM
Long story short I know this is a beast of a TV but I scored one today in great shape at a local thrift for less than $140 including remote. Heck they want that much for most of their older analogs and this thing was going for $1300 only 4 years ago! I now have HD in the bedroom and life is good.

Specs:

Display
Screen Size 32"
Flat Screen Yes
Aspect Ratio 4:3
Comb Filter Type 10-bit 3D Dig.
Picture in Picture 2 Tuner
Color Temperature Control Yes
Compatibility
1080i Compatible Yes
720p Compatible Yes
480p Compatible Yes
CableCard Compatible ---
QAM Tuner ---
Built-in HD Tuner ---

pixelthis
12-20-2008, 05:44 PM
yOU GOT SCREWED.
Proof that you get what you pay for.
main problem is that the set is 4:3, the rest I could live with.
I have owned four sonys, and one reason (among many) that I LIKED THEM WAS THE RELATIVELY "flat" screen. This helped view letterboxed stuff best.
However the letterboxed pic in a 32" screen still looked like a postage stamp.
Today I WOULD NOT have a 4:3. Sorry.
Besides two years ago I saw a 32 crt sony 16:9 for 500 bucks at Circuit City,
and that was two years ago, sure you could find one even cheaper today.
Even for a bedroom having one of these monstrosities around wouldnt be worth the trouble of dragging one home ...IMHO.
To each his own.
BTW if this set is used you have maybe three years left on the tube, and while "compatible" with HD that doesnt mean that it displays HD.
There is usually a good reason that sets like this are so "cheap".
Mainly that if they cant find a "bargain hunter" like you then its next step is the trash.:1:

pixelthis
12-20-2008, 05:48 PM
LOOK at it this way... a friend got a 19" comp monitor for 99$ on sale, flat screen LCD.
black friday.
That and a cable box, and a dvi-to-hdmi cable, and a cheap anything to play the audio
and you would have an authenic HDTV in your bedroom.
That is "smaller" than the 32" sony? Not really when you consider that most of your programming will be letterboxed.
Now, that is a bargain!:1:

thekid
12-20-2008, 06:23 PM
Pix

To each his own...... I am happy with my pick-up........ :yesnod:

Woochifer
12-20-2008, 06:35 PM
Sounds like a good find, since you're happy with it. Picture quality on HD CRTs in some ways remains better than even the latest flat panels, and for SD resolution, the images scale far better than any of the fixed pixel techs. If your TV was 16:9, you would have likely paid double what you did. On Craigslist, I very frequently see 34" CRT HDTVs going for around $500, which is more than I see used 37" LCDs and plasmas going for.

02audionoob
12-20-2008, 07:07 PM
A 19" widescreen isn't smaller than a 32"? Do the math. A 32-inch diagaonal at proportions of 4:3 is 25.6 inches wide -- the horizontal dimension alone.

thekid
12-21-2008, 05:04 AM
To add some perspective to this pick-up........

Locally in the thrifts and on CL a 32" analog TV sells in the $150 plus range. Also this TV replaces a 25" standard TV that got about 50 channels on basic cable. With this TV I added a HDTV cable box and now get in over 200 channels and 30 digital music stations that I can run through my HT receiver. So while it is not the 42" hanging on the wall flat panel TV that will appear someday in my MB, it is an upgrade - a 190lb back aching upgrade but an upgrade never the less. :D

pixelthis
12-21-2008, 10:57 PM
To add some perspective to this pick-up........

Locally in the thrifts and on CL a 32" analog TV sells in the $150 plus range. Also this TV replaces a 25" standard TV that got about 50 channels on basic cable. With this TV I added a HDTV cable box and now get in over 200 channels and 30 digital music stations that I can run through my HT receiver. So while it is not the 42" hanging on the wall flat panel TV that will appear someday in my MB, it is an upgrade - a 190lb back aching upgrade but an upgrade never the less. :D

Emphasize the back ache.
My folks have a wega in their living room, takes up a lot of real estate, as I am sure yours does also.
You're a "forest for the trees" type person.
A brand new 19" lcd WITH a built in DVD player was in the paper today for 299$.
THE PIC MIGHT be bigger than the one on your set.
And it sets on your dresser and will last awhile.
Early CRT HD had less of a lifespan, the tubes had to run a tad hotter to put out more light,
they wont last as long.
And time spent looking for the "forest" (a bargain) is time you cant manufacture, so that takes away from something more productive you could be doing.
If you are happy with your set more power to ya, but there is a reason we disposed
of 27,000,000 last year.
Mainly you are not "saving" anything, you spent 140 bucks when you could have a new set with a DVD player for an extra 160$.
SEEMS LIKE a false economy to me, is all:1:

thekid
12-22-2008, 03:32 AM
Emphasize the back ache.
My folks have a wega in their living room, takes up a lot of real estate, as I am sure yours does also.
You're a "forest for the trees" type person.
A brand new 19" lcd WITH a built in DVD player was in the paper today for 299$.
THE PIC MIGHT be bigger than the one on your set.
And it sets on your dresser and will last awhile.
Early CRT HD had less of a lifespan, the tubes had to run a tad hotter to put out more light,
they wont last as long.
And time spent looking for the "forest" (a bargain) is time you cant manufacture, so that takes away from something more productive you could be doing.
If you are happy with your set more power to ya, but there is a reason we disposed
of 27,000,000 last year.
Mainly you are not "saving" anything, you spent 140 bucks when you could have a new set with a DVD player for an extra 160$.
SEEMS LIKE a false economy to me, is all:1:

Pix

We will just have to agree to disagree on this one.
I go thrifting every Saturday with my son and he loves looking for bargain "vintage" games and game sytems. So that is time well spent IMO, the TV just happened to be where I was already going.

I will take your word for it on the disposability of CRT TV's though that has not been my personal experience. My widescreen Sony is about the same age as this pick-up and has endured the abuses of 2 teenagers and a wife who turns it on and off several times while trying to "figure" out how to play a DVD. I have not had even a whiff of a problem with it and hope to be as lucky here.

In any case as you said I am happy with it.
If it dies an early death I will call you so you can help me drop the carcass out the 2nd floor window before we go hunting for its replacement......... :smile5:

pixelthis
12-22-2008, 11:46 PM
Pix

We will just have to agree to disagree on this one.
I go thrifting every Saturday with my son and he loves looking for bargain "vintage" games and game sytems. So that is time well spent IMO, the TV just happened to be where I was already going.

I will take your word for it on the disposability of CRT TV's though that has not been my personal experience. My widescreen Sony is about the same age as this pick-up and has endured the abuses of 2 teenagers and a wife who turns it on and off several times while trying to "figure" out how to play a DVD. I have not had even a whiff of a problem with it and hope to be as lucky here.

In any case as you said I am happy with it.
If it dies an early death I will call you so you can help me drop the carcass out the 2nd floor window before we go hunting for its replacement......... :smile5:

well, if you are happy then thats whats important.
Its a matter of semantics, really, I think of this kind of thing as a "project",
because in the long run they wont save you money.
For me maximum bang for the buck is key, Times are tight and I cant "afford" to save money in this way, every penny I can spare goes toward getting the next toy, and I AM ALWAYS HAVING TO COMPROMISE.
Good luck in any event.:1: