$85 "Tune up"... scam or for reals? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : $85 "Tune up"... scam or for reals?

brevity1
12-20-2008, 01:34 PM
I just got a pair of Cerwin Vega RE-30's (I posted already about a busted tweeter). I found a guy nearby who can repair the tweeter... he says for $85 he can give them a tune up that will really mature the speakers. Is this kind of thing for real, or a load of hooey? Also, is it the kind of thing I could do by myself with a stethoscope and an allan wrench or something?

Kevio
12-20-2008, 02:29 PM
I've personally never heard of such a thing. I would assume it is hooey.

blackraven
12-20-2008, 04:15 PM
Ask him exactly what he would do to them!

JohnMichael
12-20-2008, 04:50 PM
I just got a pair of Cerwin Vega RE-30's (I posted already about a busted tweeter). I found a guy nearby who can repair the tweeter... he says for $85 he can give them a tune up that will really mature the speakers. Is this kind of thing for real, or a load of hooey? Also, is it the kind of thing I could do by myself with a stethoscope and an allan wrench or something?

Does the $85 include a new tweeter? Is he working for a audio store with a good reputation? He may plan on replacing some aging components in the crossover. As Blackraven said ask him what he is going to do for the money. $85 for a new tweeter and labor sounds reasonable to me. Ask him and let us know what you find out.

basite
12-21-2008, 02:44 AM
as JM said, does the $85 include a new tweeter???

apart from upgrading the crossover with better components, and maybe an internal rewire, I can't seem to think of anything else that he'd do with the speakers...

ask him what he'll do exactly, and what's he's going to use to do it. Upgrading a crossover with better quality parts can be good, but it's a matter of taste. and prices can vary.

Keep them spinning,
Bert.