Hookup confusion....I need advice [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hookup confusion....I need advice

burt
03-14-2004, 05:26 PM
Not sure how to hookup my VCR and DVD players. I have a Sony STR-DE695 AV receiver and an HDTV ready[would have to purchase box down the road] with three inputs Vid 1,2 &3.
Do I hookup my VCR & DVD player directly to the T.V. by passing the receiver, or do i hook them up to my Sony receiver and from the receiver to the TV via vid 1 & 2? The VCR would be composite, and the DVD would be s-video.

what are the advantages either way? Also, how would i hookup the audio cables?

thanks for all your past help guys,

Burt

Smokey
03-14-2004, 05:38 PM
Since most receivers can only switch between one type of video only (either composite[RCA], s-video or component), then it might be best to go directly to TV. Then you can route DVD player digital output to receiver to decode DD or DTS surround sounds.

burt
03-14-2004, 05:48 PM
On my receiver I see "video out" and "s-video" out. Both of these can go to my T.V. Can I run a Composite from video out[for the VCR] and s-video cable from the "s-video out" from my receiver to the vid 1 and vid 2 inputs on my T.V.? I s that better than going directly to the T.V.?

Smokey
03-14-2004, 06:16 PM
Your receiver can switch between one type of video only. Either s-video inputs and s-video (monitor) output, or composite inputs and composite output. I don't believe you can mix and match different type of video(s). But you could always try and see.

Also, it is best to route video directly to TV (for best picture), unless you have too many video outputs and not enough video inputs on the TV to accommodate them.

uncooked
03-14-2004, 10:39 PM
in your situation it would be best just to skip the receiver for video and only using it for the audio.

you said you have a HDTV, go out and buy yourself a component video cable for your dvd to tv connection, your missing out man. is your dvd player progressive?

pieterd
03-15-2004, 01:49 AM
in your situation it would be best just to skip the receiver for video and only using it for the audio.

you said you have a HDTV, go out and buy yourself a component video cable for your dvd to tv connection, your missing out man. is your dvd player progressive?

I have a Loewe Aventos TV (HDTV) with a Rotel 1080 DVD player. The DVD player is progressive, but only on NTSC. Living in South Africa, we have PAL and not NTSC. My questions:
1. Enquiring the store owner regarding the progressive scan, he said the TV does it better than the DVD?
2. The DVD and TV can do both scart and component. I am using scart (easier for set-up on the TV). Will component give me better picture?
3. If component is the route, can I use a custom made cable (component to scart) with scart on the TV side? Will that influence picture quality? (Versus component-component)
4. DVD to receiver (Rotel 1055) is by the coaxial cable received in the box. Will it be better to buy a more expensive coaxial cable?
5. Coaxial versus optical - which one?

I'll appreciate any input, thanks!

uncooked
03-15-2004, 09:19 AM
1, yes that is actually true for most dvd's most box's can upconvert the signal to hdtv.

2. i dont have any experience with scart, but i looked it up a bit and supposely if you can use component to component that is the ideal way to go. i found this little quote

The Scart (Syndicat des Constructeurs d'Appareils Radiorécepteurs et Téléviseurs) connector is used for combined audio and video connections.

thats saying it is designed for audio and visual, while components only job it was designed for was high quality picture for progressive and HDTV model tv's. "works for non hdtv's as well, but not what its designed for"

3, i dont think there is a point to make component to scart because the whole point of component is so that the colors stay seperate. if you put a scart end on it then they would be all mixed up and the way you had it before would be better.

4, no, thats fine.

5, doesnt matter, personaly preference, doesnt matter one bit

hold on before going and buying a component cord, wait for someone else to respond that has some more hands on experience, im just going buy some info i found on the scart, component issue.

another site i was looking at had a picture of one, and it said "typically used to replace composite or s video"

burt
03-15-2004, 02:23 PM
Why would skipping the video on my receiver and hooking up directly to my T.V. be a benefit?
Also, my DVD player does not have component outputs even though my T.V. does.Only composite and s-video.
burt

Smokey
03-15-2004, 02:36 PM
Why would skipping the video on my receiver and hooking up directly to my T.V. be a benefit?

Some times, Receivers's switching circuitry are not the best in the world, and it might cause video degradation that is routed thru it. And the video have to go thru one more set of cable. When it comes to video, the shortest route is always the best.

Since you said you have an HDTV, to take advantage of DVD progressive mode, you will need component output. Without it, you will only get interlaced DVD picture.

uncooked
03-15-2004, 09:26 PM
you need to go out and get a new dvd player. are arent even using half the potential of your tv. dvd players are cheap now. i would really recommend it. you cant play hdtv until you get one. "for movies anyways"

pieterd
03-15-2004, 10:30 PM
Thank you uncooked. I've also read the "how to article" "look what i've found". It seems worth it to play around with the component connection. I will let you know if I see any difference.