Hey Yo, Ravers... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hey Yo, Ravers...

bobsticks
12-19-2008, 06:32 PM
I know there has been a few documented meetings of the AR luminaries but I think we need to give consideration to a get-together. Seriously.

I had occasion after the recent family drama to do just that and it was an experience I'll not soon forget. I found myself in the wee hours of Wednesday morning with nothing on the agenda other than a four hour drive home and the sudden realization that I was twenty, maybe thirty, miles from our own Super-Mod, JohnMichael. A few, quick pm's later and John had arranged directions to a restaurant equidistant from both our locations.

John, as it turns out, is much more gregarious than his moderator-defined neutrality would seem to confer. Lots of laughter, music talk and life talk had my sleep-deprived frazzled nerves a little less so. (BTW, JM, in case I didn't stress it enough, it was great to place a face with the name and thanks for some grood laughs.)

It just got me thinkin', lots of other clubs/hobbyists/groups of deviants/etc. have conventions or get-togethers...maybe a lost wekend in Vegas or somethin'? I find it hard to believe that a good time wouldn't be had by all.

JohnMichael
12-19-2008, 08:02 PM
What a great way to start the day with hot coffee, a good breakfast and meeting a member of AR. Bobsticks thanks for making the detour it was great meeting you. This event was the perfect example that if you enjoy someone's posts on the boards you will enjoy them in person.

Bobsticks is as interesting in person as he is on the message boards.

Bobsticks is right we need to plan a get together. Many friendships have developed between members and many have not met. I think it is time we can all put faces to names. I even thought it might be fun to coordinate a meeting with one of the electronic shows.

ForeverAutumn
12-20-2008, 05:39 AM
We tried a get together for the New Orleans Jazz Fest a few years ago (pre-Katrina). While there was lots of interest, by the time of the Fest only two people ended up actually going. Most of us ended up backing out due to lack of cash flow.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't try to do this though. I'm jealous of both of you that you got to meet each other! I've had the pleasure of meeting a few people from this site and it's been great fun to talk to them live and in person.

I'll be in Vegas in mid-April for a few days if anyone wants to come and visit.

kexodusc
12-20-2008, 06:23 AM
No promises but I'll be keeping my eye on this thread's developments.
Corporate travel has been reduced to execs and senior mgmt...which means everyone at work but Kex, so points and perks accumulation has slowed to a trickle, but I still go south a bit...Philly in April as it stands and Chicago in May perhaps...

Anyone in New England?

3-LockBox
12-20-2008, 09:24 AM
Well, I live way up in the NW corner of the country (a little over an hour north of Seattle). The closest RR member is Snow Bunny, in Vancouver, BC. I wouldn't mind a little get together, if Snowy would remove the restraining order, that is.

Otherwise, I think there are some other RRers along the I-5 corridor. Maybe some day.

Swish
12-20-2008, 09:57 AM
...to make it to the NOLA Jazz Fest in 2004 (I know FA mentioned it already) but it ended up being just my wife and I along with DLD and his wife from Texas. The weather was a total mess, and they even had to cancel the shows for one day, something that hadn't happened in about 20 years.While the stages are all covered so the bands can play through the rain, the grounds were so muddy that you wouldn't have been able to stand and watch. It was cold, rainy, basically s<a>hitty weather, but we still had some fun, but I suppose the others who bailed along the way actually made a good decision. We were there in '01 and it was sunny and about 80 degrees, and not one bit of rain, and that's the norm for the show.

I'd be up for something depending on the timing and all. No Jazz Fest for me this year, but we're hoping to go in 2010. Besides DLD in TX, I've met FA and her husband, Audio Bill and his wife, and Barry L in Toronto, plus J twice in NYC. All four times were a blast and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Getting to Vegas could be tough anytime soon, for me at least, but if someone starts making plans, I'd do my best to make it.

I'm actually going to take a trip to Austin where old DLD will most likely meet up with us again for dinner or whatever. I was supposed to go last year and he gave me all kinds of info on the city. He lives closer to Dallas but knows Austin well. We had to cancel due to my job change and all, but vowed to get there in '09, prolly in the summertime when the college students won't be much of an issue.

ForeverAutumn
12-20-2008, 12:03 PM
It's BarryL not BradL. But I'm sure that he'll forgive you for the error. :)

Swish
12-20-2008, 01:00 PM
It's BarryL not BradL. But I'm sure that he'll forgive you for the error. :)

I guess I was confusing it with BradH. I need to get that knot out of my head.

Bernd
12-21-2008, 08:09 AM
Hey Bobs. great to read of your meet up with our esteemed mod. JM. Good on you. A get together would be a sweet idea and if I get enough warning to book my flight I will be there.:yesnod:

ForeverAutumn
12-21-2008, 11:21 AM
Hey Bobs. great to read of your meet up with our esteemed mod. JM. Good on you. A get together would be a sweet idea and if I get enough warning to book my flight I will be there.:yesnod:

Bring me a puppy when you come! :smile5:

bobsticks
12-21-2008, 03:09 PM

Well, it was definetely good for me. John' humor is a bit infectious which I needed...and I'm pretty sure he could run for mayor as he seems to know erebody in town. Kinda like dining with la mafiosi, lots of visits to the table, extra attention...I'm pretty sure his crew was checking me out to make sure I wasn't a narc...

...and I'll let you know what we collectively figure out. The current single-digit weather with the promise of plummeting into negative integers has me thinking that maybe someplace warm would be just what the doctor ordered.

...Philly in April as it stands and Chicago in May perhaps...

OToH, if you make it to Chicago give me maybe a weeks notice and I'll meet you up there for a beverage and a band, regardless of how any other group activities plan out. I don't really need any reason to go to Chi-Town but that sounds like a damn good one.

Auricauricle
12-22-2008, 12:13 PM
'Twould be great to have a meet and greet with everyone of you, but all things aside, I won't be able to attend such festivities until late next year when role-residency and internship are over and the job situation stabilizes....

You know, here in Charleston, we have an annual Spoleto Festival. Lots of good music, restaurants and Southern Hospitality...!

Swish
12-22-2008, 12:20 PM
'Twould be great to have a meet and greet with everyone of you, but all things aside, I won't be able to attend such festivities until late next year when role-residency and internship are over and the job situation stabilizes....

You know, here in Charleston, we have an annual Spoleto Festival. Lots of good music, restaurants and Southern Hospitality...!

That's a really nice city.Stayed at the Charleston Place Hotel and had a blast at some Irish pub about a block or so from there. Someone on the staff there told me that Mel Gibson and his family had been staying there, checking out the week before I arrived, while filming a movie nearby (it was The Patriot). Love the street with the gas fueled street lights too. Great seafood restaurants. I need to get back there, but there are so many other places I need to see.

Swish

Auricauricle
12-22-2008, 04:35 PM
Just lemme know if yer around....

Ol' Carpetbagger!

BradH
12-23-2008, 02:36 PM
I'm actually going to take a trip to Austin where old DLD will most likely meet up with us again for dinner or whatever.

I saw him about 2 months ago when I went by his office to pick up a 70's era Luxman amp. You would not believe the stuff he finds at garage sales.

Swish
12-24-2008, 12:08 PM
I saw him about 2 months ago when I went by his office to pick up a 70's era Luxman amp. You would not believe the stuff he finds at garage sales.

...quality speakers at a yard sale. I think they needed just a little work and they were good as new.

Swish