low humming sound from subwoofer [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : low humming sound from subwoofer

sgt bass08
12-18-2008, 09:42 AM
Hi guys

just brought a secondhand subwoofer the velodyne cht -10 and it works fine. but i noticed it makes a low humming sound when switch on and on standby. should it do that i no the guy i brought it off didnt give me the proper power cord so i dont no if it could be that .or it could be a fault inside the amp or even the phono leads i just need to no as its doing my head in thank you

Auricauricle
12-18-2008, 11:43 AM
Make sure your power cords and interconnects are not tangled up. I get occasional humming from my sub at times, and clearing the cords seems to clear it up.....

sgt bass08
12-18-2008, 01:57 PM
no checked all power cords and interconnects they are fine.I noticed someone on this site as a velodyne cht 8 i wonder if he could let me know if is does the same thing as my thank you

audio amateur
12-18-2008, 02:10 PM
It's probably a grounding issue

sgt bass08
12-19-2008, 02:16 AM
hey up audio amateur

wats a grounding issue like i said i checked all the interconnects

markw
12-19-2008, 05:21 AM
Turn the subwoofer off.

Unplug all inputs to the subwoofer.

Turn the subwoofer on.

Does it hum? Yes or no.

If yes, it's an internal problem with the subwoofer. Problem found!

If no, then turn the subwoofer off, plug the source back into the subwoofer, and turn it back on.

If the hum returns, you've got a grounding issue. Good liuck on this.

E-Stat
12-19-2008, 06:41 AM
i checked all the interconnects
My guess is that he meant you may have a "ground loop" problem. I had the same issue when I introduced a Behringer EQ into the system for the subs. If it uses a three prong plug, try plugging it into a cheater plug to see if that helps.

rw

sgt bass08
12-19-2008, 08:37 AM
Turn the subwoofer off.

Unplug all inputs to the subwoofer.

Turn the subwoofer on.

Does it hum? Yes or no.

If yes, it's an internal problem with the subwoofer. Problem found!

If no, then turn the subwoofer off, plug the source back into the subwoofer, and turn it back on.

If the hum returns, you've got a grounding issue. Good liuck on this.

hi markw

turned off subwoofer unpluged all inputs switch it back on still there so it looks like a internal problem .what kind off internal problem would you think it will be would it be worth fixing or getting rid off

markw
12-19-2008, 08:59 AM
hi markw

turned off subwoofer unpluged all inputs switch it back on still there so it looks like a internal problem .what kind off internal problem would you think it will be would it be worth fixing or getting rid offDunno. I'm not a tech, but can you return it?

sgt bass08
12-19-2008, 09:10 AM
I dont no i could ask him but i really wanted this subwoofer and i got it from another forum site like this :mad:

sgt bass08
12-19-2008, 09:16 AM
My guess is that he meant you may have a "ground loop" problem. I had the same issue when I introduced a Behringer EQ into the system for the subs. If it uses a three prong plug, try plugging it into a cheater plug to see if that helps.

rw

Hi

it could be but im crap when it comes to electrical stuff .i tryed using another three prong plug put it still did the same thing. the guy who i got it off said he had the same problem low humming noise but he said when he finshed using it he would switch it off by the power switch.

markw
12-19-2008, 09:26 AM
the guy who i got it off said he had the same problem low humming noise but he said when he finshed using it he would switch it off by the power switch.Well, I give the guy points for honesty. It sounds like you knew it was busted before you bought it.

Try and find a local tech to look at it, but don't expect him to do it for free.

good luck.

sgt bass08
12-19-2008, 10:13 AM
Well, I give the guy points for honesty. It sounds like you knew it was busted before you bought it.

Try and find a local tech to look at it, but don't expect him to do it for free.

good luck.

well no i asked him that after i brought the subwoofer when i realized it was humming .

markw
12-19-2008, 10:31 AM
I'm pretty sure it was an "as-is" sale but, in your defense, I can't blame you for assuming that it worked fine.

Now you know why I'm loathe to buy from strangers.

Don't spend too much money on trying to get it fixed.

sgt bass08
12-20-2008, 06:47 AM
is it a humming that can be heard from your listening area, or just when you are very close to the sub?

Hi

its lound enough to destrub me as i sleep not far from my bed and my room is really small plus i have had other subwoofer that dont do it. wich is why iam thinking its strange for it to hum like it does .but has xmas is here ive just orderd a epos m sub so the velodyne will be up for sale .